Can't program Coolsat 6000 Premium

Status
Please reply by conversation.

randomq

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
OK, I made the mistake of buying my first set-top FTA box off of Ebay...

It's a Coolsat 6000 Premium, and it seems to work OK (crashed once but might have been my flaky Disecq switch or something). I thought about upgrading the firmware but noticed that the firmware it was shipped with is "NORW", a hack version from what I can tell!

I had to dig around coolsatusa.com to find the latest firmware, http://www.coolsatusa.com/software/coolsat6000_100_20060308.zip

And I then found some folks on here recommending "stbtool" or "coolsat pro loader". I found the latest pro (2.4) along with 2.3 and stbtool 1.5. None of them work!

I have tried from a pc and a laptop, using two different serial cables on each (one of which came with the coolsat), and no matter what I get stuck at "Connect your receiver and turn it on". I use the serial port in the laptop for GPS all the time, so I know it works. I've tried hard and soft-powering on the coolsat both before and after starting the upload, with no success.

Any suggestions? Do I have to do anything special with the coolsat itself, other than have it sitting on a channel? Is there some way to force it into upload mode?

Thanks for any help in advance!

JTAG might be extreme, but might be needed. NOt sure what the 6000 has for hookups, some have a port, some need soldering, then you'll need the tools (software and hardware) to do it. I have jtagged once box that I got on ebay that I just could not get the hack firmware off of completely.

Have you tried starting the download, then turning on the receiver? sometimes that helps.
I used load 2.4 last time I had to do anything with my CS5k.

Last edited:
make sure you have the right cable (null modem or straight depending on receiver). I've done that many times and had D'OH moments because I used the wrong cable

I bought a coolsat 6000 premium and have had no problems with it. The cable that comes with it when it is new is a null modem cable and it is my understanding that this is what you need. I never bothered to find out what the difference is between a null modem cable and a regular RS 232 cable but there is one. I have used it and have had no problem. Iceberg put me on to using ChannelMaster to edit the programming but it will not read directly from a Coolsat. You need to use a loader and Iceberg also put me on to Coolsat Pro loader v. 2.2. I used it to save the programming from the Coolsat to a file on my computer. I then opened the file with ChannelMaster and did my editing. I saved the edited file on the computer. I then used the loader to upload the saved file to the Coolsat. It worked fine. As far as I know it has to be done this way. I'm not sure what I can do to help but I will do my best. Maybe I can answer specific questions to compare my coolsat with yours and this will lead you to something that can get you going.

I never bothered to find out what the difference is between a null modem cable and a regular RS 232 cable but there is one.
null modem cable has pins 2 & 3 swapped on the plug. RS232 is a straight thru

I have used it and have had no problem. Iceberg put me on to using ChannelMaster to edit the programming but it will not read directly from a Coolsat. You need to use a loader and Iceberg also put me on to Coolsat Pro loader v. 2.2. I used it to save the programming from the Coolsat to a file on my computer. I then opened the file with ChannelMaster and did my editing. I saved the edited file on the computer. I then used the loader to upload the saved file to the Coolsat. It worked fine. As far as I know it has to be done this way.

sadly that is the only way to do it

Thanks to everyone! It turned out to be a bad cable (one of those light blue cisco cables). Replaced it with an identical one and it worked!

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to program the universal remote it came with. I hold down "TV" and "OK" for several seconds, but TV never lights up. I must be having "one of those weeks". :-/

I must say, though, blind scanning is *awesome*. That was the biggest feature I was missing on my Twinhan PCI card. Thanks again for the help.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to program the universal remote it came with. I hold down "TV" and "OK" for several seconds, but TV never lights up. I must be having "one of those weeks". :-/

I guess you need to keep your TV on and hold down"TV" and "OK" button ( or what ever the manual says). TV will switch OFF with the correct code tuned in the remote.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts