Cassel Traded to Chiefs

to BillD1984: I hope the Pats DON'T go after Ray Lewis! If that were the case I'd rather still have Vrabel. To others: My comment about trading Brady has nothing to do w/ability but more toward health and desire-he has been away a long time and has other interests(see marriage!). As far as a back-up I think they will stick w/O'connell. They really need def. secondary help and w/23rd pic in 1st rd. should go for one or a linebacker. Paul

to BillD1984: I hope the Pats DON'T go after Ray Lewis! If that were the case I'd rather still have Vrabel. To others: My comment about trading Brady has nothing to do w/ability but more toward health and desire-he has been away a long time and has other interests(see marriage!). As far as a back-up I think they will stick w/O'connell. They really need def. secondary help and w/23rd pic in 1st rd. should go for one or a linebacker. Paul

brady is like every other typical great qb. you got to drag him out of the game to get rid of him. these players thrive on competition. nor marriage or anything else will take the place of what these guys get out of playing and winning games. you're dealing with pro's here not college players that are more susceptible to these type things. unless health gets in the way here,you'll see the brady you're used to seeing;)

to BillD1984: I hope the Pats DON'T go after Ray Lewis! If that were the case I'd rather still have Vrabel. Paul

I don't think they will go after Lewis. I just thought something was up with all the cap room being cleared.

brady is like every other typical great qb. you got to drag him out of the game to get rid of him. these players thrive on competition. nor marriage or anything else will take the place of what these guys get out of playing and winning games. you're dealing with pro's here not college players that are more susceptible to these type things. unless health gets in the way here,you'll see the brady you're used to seeing;)

As usual, you nailed it Rey! :up

More rumors/info out on other trades... Cutler is pissed he's on the trade block, here's what's being reported today at PTF: ProFootballTalk.com - DID BUCS’ OFFER COME TOO LATE?

DID BUCS’ OFFER COME TOO LATE?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2009, 1:17 p.m. EST
ESPN’s Chris Mortensen has reported, with excellent elaboration via ESPN.com’s Tim Graham, that the Buccaneers offered a first-round and a third-round pick for quarterback Matt Cassel as part of the menage-a-trade that would have sent quarterback Matt Cassel to the Broncos and quarterback Jay Cutler to Tampa.

So why did the Pats pass?

A reader has shared with us this nugget from Michael Felger of WEEI. Put simply, the Bucs arrived at the party too late (and possibly with a cinnamon bobka).

If that’s the case, then it all makes sense.

But Mort says (via Graham) that the Broncos were willing to give up their own first-round pick — No. 12 overall in the draft — for Cassel. Under those circumstances, why didn’t Belichick bite?

We agree with Mortensen’s suggestion that Belichick would be less willing to help a former assistant coach than to help the front-office guy who helped set the table for those three Super Bowl victories in four year.

Mort also suggests that the Pats leaked word of the Broncos’ effort to trade Cutler to the Boston Globe as a way to mess with the Broncos.

Um, wow.

We only wish that the Broncos and Pats played each other twice per year. As a consolation, the Broncos and Chiefs still do.

UPDATE: Tom Curran also reports that the Bucs and Broncos showed up after Pats coach Bill Belichick had decided to pull the trigger on the trade with the Chiefs. Credit Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli for: (1) knowing that the Patriots were ready to do something right away with Cassel; and (2) getting a number and placing his order while the other teams were still loitering in the lobby of Schnitzer’s.

2nd round picks are cheaper to sign. Most GM's would trade their mothers before a 2nd round pick. Not many "impact" players this year, but plenty of depth, which may make 2nd rounders more valuable due to lower signing costs.

2nd round picks are cheaper to sign. Most GM's would trade their mothers before a 2nd round pick. Not many "impact" players this year, but plenty of depth, which may make 2nd rounders more valuable due to lower signing costs.

Ok, I'm fine with that theory, but if a 1st round pick was indeed on the table, they could've traded it for two second round picks or a second and a third. Something smells like fish.

Because I personally think there is some kind of collusion/agreement/SOMETHING in this trade. You get Vrabel AND Cassell for what....A second round pick ONLY??!! Gimme a f***ing break!! I may dis-like Belli-jerk, but he is NOT generous and he is NOT stupid when it comes to talent.

Chiefs won't talk about Pioli's big move

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Scott Pioli pulled off a big deal in his first major act as Kansas City's general manager, landing quarterback Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel for a second-round draft pick.

Not a package of draft picks, not the second-rounder and another player, not even with cash thrown in. A potentially franchise-building quarterback and a starting linebacker for one second-round draft pick. That's it.

The obvious question is, how did he get so much for so little?

Sadly, there's still no answer.

Matt Cassel threw for 345 yards and 3 TDs in a win versus the Arizona Cardinals.
Two days after the trade with New England was announced, the Chiefs were again mum on what seems like a monumentally lopsided deal.

Pioli? Unavailable. Coach Todd Haley? Evasive. Cassel? On speaker phone for his introduction to the Kansas City media. Vrabel? Also not available.

"I won't get into specifics of that. I'm glad we have both players on the team," Haley said Monday.

That's it. No discussion of how the trade came together, not even a "we got a good deal." It was calculated, tidy, somewhat mysterious. In other words, very Patriots-like.

Of course, that's no surprise. As vice president of player personnel in New England, Pioli helped turn the Patriots into a dynasty, gathered all the pieces for coach Bill Belichick to win three Super Bowls.

Those ties to New England clearly played some role in the trade to get Cassel and Vrabel. How much? It's hard to tell since no one's talking about the deal.

Cassel was talking, but not in person and not about specifics of the trade. Calling in from somewhere in Kansas City, he was thrilled at the chance to be the man after eight years of being the man behind the man.

"I've been working really, really hard for a long time, and I finally had an opportunity last year and got a taste of what it's like to be out there and play and be on the field every snap," he said. "I'm excited that I'll have the opportunity to do the same thing here and try to get this thing going and get on the right track and win ball games."

On paper, the Chiefs clearly got the better end of the deal.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3947061"]Matt Cassel/Mike Vrabel deal lopsided? Kansas City Chiefs mum on trade - ESPN[/ame]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)