Cassel Traded to Chiefs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Keep in mind that Cassell is a FA again after the season, and Vrabel is 34 yrs. old and past his prime. Moss was obtained for a 4th round pick last season, and he's going to the HOF.

Peter King had a good MMQB about the trade, what he came to is that it was essentially a done deal before any other deal was on the table, and also had some great info about the money part of things, and Cassel's future in KC.

Bart Scott, Matt Cassel, Chris Canty revel in free agency madness - Peter King - SI.com

This trade will likely be a good thing for both teams, even if Cassel is only there 2 years (franchised next year if necessary) he'll bring a big upgrade to the QB position and the Chiefs have the cap room to not restructure/re-sign him if they so desired and the Pats will get a draftee with a manageable salary boom or bust.

Keep in mind that Cassell is a FA again after the season, and Vrabel is 34 yrs. old and past his prime. Moss was obtained for a 4th round pick last season, and he's going to the HOF.

Randy Moss?! Remember, the Raiders wanted him out so bad that they would have traded him for a bag of footballs.

Randy Moss?! Remember, the Raiders wanted him out so bad that they would have traded him for a bag of footballs.

Ya, apparently he's pretty good - Randy Moss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just one of those players that reflects the culture of the organization he's in, those were some pretty apathetic years for the Raiders that included the return of Art Shell and his bed and breakfast OC. Think he was also injured?

Everybody's looking for some sort of conspiracy theory here. This was about cap space (about $16-17M) and the cost of signing first rd. draft picks. NE picked up a lot of flexability here cap-wise. They have four picks in the top 100, and room to sign them and a couple FA's. They will get young in a hurry this season. Now combine that with a healthy Brady, and they look like short odds for the Super Bowl. Bellicheck has been accused of being many things, stupid isn't one of them.

Everybody's looking for some sort of conspiracy theory here. This was about cap space (about $16-17M) and the cost of signing first rd. draft picks. NE picked up a lot of flexability here cap-wise. They have four picks in the top 100, and room to sign them and a couple FA's. They will get young in a hurry this season. Now combine that with a healthy Brady, and they look like short odds for the Super Bowl. Bellicheck has been accused of being many things, stupid isn't one of them.
They could have taken Denver's 12th overall pick and turned that into several lower picks.

It was noted in that ESPN article that potentially Belichick didn't want to help one of his former assistants, new Denver coach McDaniels, but I guess he doesn't mind helping Pioli....

See post #59 for my thoughts on that.
There's obviously a huge difference is cost and trade value between picks #1 and #12. In 2008, the #1 pick Jake Long signed for $57.5 million ($30M guaranteed). The #12 pick, Ryan Clady signed for $17.5 million ($11.5M guaranteed). Plus, Belichick did just that last year, trading down from the 7th pick overall.

Teams are more apt to trade up to a mid-level first round pick than to jump up to first overall. That might explain the lack of interest. Plus, are the Lions even shopping it around??

They could have taken Denver's 12th overall pick and turned that into several lower picks.

It was noted in that ESPN article that potentially Belichick didn't want to help one of his former assistants, new Denver coach McDaniels, but I guess he doesn't mind helping Pioli....

First I highly doubt ESPN has any contacts with in the Chiefs, Broncos or Patriots Organizations. Consider who runs and coaches those teams.

If the Broncos did offer the 12th pick to the Pats, which I don't believe, the only deal I have heard that was for sure was Detroit offering the 33rd pick and not taking Vrabel. Maybe Belichick thought Denver would be a lot better faster than KC and didn't want to trade Cassel there.

There's obviously a huge difference is cost and trade value between picks #1 and #12. In 2008, the #1 pick Jake Long signed for $57.5 million ($30M guaranteed). The #12 pick, Ryan Clady signed for $17.5 million ($11.5M guaranteed). Plus, Belichick did just that last year, trading down from the 7th pick overall.

Teams are more apt to trade up to a mid-level first round pick than to jump up to first overall. That might explain the lack of interest. Plus, are the Lions even shopping it around??

Sure they are. I don't see any must have "impact" players this year, so what good is the #1 pick. Cutler would be cheaper than signing the #1 pick this season.

Just shows what good drafting will do for you. The Lions have had a boat load of low picks, all cumulating in a 0-16 season. Meanwhile the Steelers have won two SB's in that time frame. Hell, I think they've won more SB's than we have won road games. We got 5 picks in the top 85 this year. My money is that the Steelers win another SB before we even make the playoffs. OK, that's too easy, lets make it two SB's.

Just shows what good drafting will do for you. The Lions have had a boat load of low picks, all cumulating in a 0-16 season. Meanwhile the Steelers have won two SB's in that time frame. Hell, I think they've won more SB's than we have won road games. We got 5 picks in the top 85 this year. My money is that the Steelers win another SB before we even make the playoffs. OK, that's too easy, lets make it two SB's.

To be honest, good ownership and management.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)