Cband in 2021

bcschmidt

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2021
Dryden Ontario Canada
Hey all first post here. I reckon its about time to fix up my grandmas old 10 foot mesh star trak bud. It still has the original lnb with the polarotor on it. I know analogue is done this fall with cspan. Can I just hook up a new fta reciever to the dish as it is? Or should I upgrade to a new c/ku lnb? I also have an old star trak six reciever but lost the remote control for it. Was going to use it for a dish mover and to change skew since the fta receivers don't have that built in. Am I on the right track? Thanks so much for the input and sorry if this has been asked to death.

Attachments

• received_1735376013326726.jpeg
    received_1735376013326726.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 200
Yes, you are on the right track.
LNBs last a while. I would test it first on the fta receiver before automatically replacing. Old might still work.
Ku on a 10 ft mesh dish works but you miss alot of feeds. If you really want ku then i would get a separate dish for Ku. I would go with a 4 ft one.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Reactions: TRG
Yes, you are on the right track.
LNBs last a while. I would test it first on the fta receiver before automatically replacing. Old might still work.
Ku on a 10 ft mesh dish works but you miss alot of feeds. If you really want ku then i would get a separate dish for Ku. I would go with a 4 ft one.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Thank you very much, so far I only need to check the level, incl/decl, and make up a new one run cable, that's hard to find in my area. I was given an ultimatum with the dish, rip it down or use it. So I'm fixing it up. Here's a pic of the remote i need for the dish mover if anyone knows where in can find, I would appreciate it

Attachments

• received_1442489639442325.jpeg
    received_1442489639442325.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 154
Hey all first post here. I reckon its about time to fix up my grandmas old 10 foot mesh star trak bud. It still has the original lnb with the polarotor on it. I know analogue is done this fall with cspan. Can I just hook up a new fta reciever to the dish as it is? Or should I upgrade to a new c/ku lnb? I also have an old star trak six reciever but lost the remote control for it. Was going to use it for a dish mover and to change skew since the fta receivers don't have that built in. Am I on the right track? Thanks so much for the input and sorry if this has been asked to death.
Welcome to Satellite Guys bcschmidt! :)

Agree with MikeI - do your ku on a separate dish. When you upgrade your receiver I would recommend either of these. They are sold by members here on the site. You will get a quality unit and great support after the sale.

Welcome to Satellite Guys bcschmidt! :)

Agree with MikeI - do your ku on a separate dish. When you upgrade your receiver I would recommend either of these. They are sold by members here on the site. You will get a quality unit and great support after the sale.

Thanks alot!! Here's a pic of the dish they bought in 1991, still in okay shape. Could use some paint and roll out the hail dings.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Thanks alot!! Here's a pic of the dish they bought in 1991, still in okay shape. Could use some paint and roll out the hail dings.
It’s a long shot but you might look on eBay for that remote, I was looking at analog Uniden Supra receivers (to move my dish and see the sundown on CSPAN) and there were remotes
Yes, very good shape. Most of those old ones hold up well over the years. Much better made than ones available from overseas these days. I restored a 10ft SAMI that had been unused for years and had almost toppled over. Take a look at my thread below. :)

Reactions: bcschmidt
Found a remote, there's a site that can get hard to find ones and he located one in 10 minutes, and i can't even find a whisper about that reciever or dish online. Who can I buy one of those receivers from in here ? The amiko

Found a remote, there's a site that can get hard to find ones and he located one in 10 minutes, and i can't even find a whisper about that reciever or dish online. Who can I buy one of those receivers from in here ? The amiko
KE4EST sells the Amiko receiver. Here is his eBay store listing: Amiko HD265

You would probably benefit from a modern C-Band LNB too. With a modern one, the receiver can control the polarity via voltage to the LNB. No polorator controller needed. You can get a new C-Band LNBF here: Titanium Satellite Store

Both of the above vendors are longstanding members here with outstanding reputations.

See links in my post #5 above. :)
Thank you! Come pay day oll order one. Super excited to get that old girl up and running. Probably going to end up cleaning and repaint the dish and nasty was thinking of replacing each bolt, nut and washers with stainless. I have a good supply available. Was also thinking of taking each mesh panel off and rolling it with a rolling pin to get the hail dings out

Reactions: FTA4PA
Thank you! Come pay day oll order one. Super excited to get that old girl up and running. Probably going to end up cleaning and repaint the dish and nasty was thinking of replacing each bolt, nut and washers with stainless. I have a good supply available. Was also thinking of taking each mesh panel off and rolling it with a rolling pin to get the hail dings out
You're welcome. Do all you can to get her in tip-top shape. It will be worth the extra work. Be sure to post up some pics of your progress. :)

Reactions: bcschmidt
Will do! Also, does anyone know how a Canadian can subscribe to cartoon network? If at all possible, I can't find any Canadian cband programmers. Just Rainier in the states and they don't offer CN or service up here. We used to be subscribed in the 90's and early 2000's then it seemed like it was dropped from the menu up here.

I don't think end users in Canada can subscribe directly to any service on C-band anymore. Not sure which cartoons you need, but the LPB Kids channel on 87W Ku runs cartoons for free almost 24/7.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Hey guys, picked up a 4dtv dsr921 receiver and uhf remote. I put batteries in the remote, lights flash when I hit the power button but the unit doesn't turn on. It will power on when I hit the power button, says warm up then shows the time. My manuals are French also having a hard time finding instructions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)