CBC to lose 3 affiliates to CTV on 8/31

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Even though it was known back in May, its official. CBC to lose 3 affiliates effective tomorrow

Unlike in the US where pretty much all stations except for a handful are run by affiliates, in Canada its the other way around. Most stations are owned by the network themselves. There are some affiliates and they only had to run X amount of hours a week. With CBC it was 40 hours. The rest could be filled with whatever network they wanted. The best way to imagine it was like back in the olden days when stations had multiple affiliations. I remember when I had Shaw Direct (Canadia satellite provider) Thunder Bay would show CBC & CTV stuff on their CBC station. They have since switched to CTV full time (last year)

stations switching
CHEX Peterborough
CHEX-2 Oshawa (a semi satellite of Chex and still analog)
CKWS Kingston
are switching to CTV on Monday. The only reason I bring this up is because some folks in the border areas can get CHEX or CKWS. I know in Watertown, NY they can easily get CKWS. I wonder what will happen with Bell's translator in Peterborough for CTV (channel 54 RF35)

decision from CRTC
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2015/2015-403.htm

http://www.thestar.com/business/201...ates-in-oshawa-peterborough-and-kingston.html

CBC has ended its relationship with a number of local over-the-air television stations, exposing deep rifts in Canada’s broadcast landscape.

The CRTC announced Thursday that CHEX-TV in Peterborough, Channel 12 in Oshawa and CKWS-TV in Kingston would be ending their affiliation with CBC and entering into a “program supply agreement” with CTV beginning Aug. 31. All the stations are owned by Corus Entertainment.

“We are very pleased to be partnering with Bell Media to bring our audiences and advertisers CTV’s stellar lineup of news, sports and entertainment programming,” said the stations’ general manager, Dave McCutcheon, in a release.

The move was first made public in May, but the CRTC first had to contend with opposition, both from a diehard CBC viewer and from a broadcast competitor. After hearing that his local station would cease to air CBC programming, Barry King, a resident of Castleton, ON filed a complaint to the CRTC, asking that it stop the disaffiliation. “Since I receive television signals over the air, I will no longer be able to receive the CBC network broadcasts in my area,” King wrote to the CRTC. “As a Canadian, I am deeply distressed that the loss of the CBC will deprive me of our national cultural and news programming.”

In February, CRTC chairman Jean-Pierre Blais reiterated his full support of over-the-air television, which is broadcast on open signals and available without a cable-subscription package.

But Emma Bédard, a spokesperson for CBC, said that 97 per cent of their viewers choose to tune in through cable and satellite and are increasingly watching online. The CBC has struggled to maintain its over-the-air television since the switch to digital transmission in 2011. “The realities of the media business have changed fundamentally, and affiliation is no longer viable for the CBC or for its former affiliates,” said Emma Bédard, a spokesperson for CBC.

Gregory Taylor, a University of Calgary researcher and expert on over-the-air television, said the CBC has rapidly been moving away from free over-the-air programming and towards online mobile content as part of its digital-first strategy. “This has been building for some time now,” Taylor said. “They see [mobile content] as clearly the future and they’re actually ahead of the private sector in doing this.” As the CBC continues to drop local over-the-air affiliates, private networks are picking them up. Taylor said private broadcasters like CTV stand to gain more by airing their programming in local networks.

“CBC does not have that option, CBC does not own that range of broadcasting,” he said.

Rogers Media also intervened with the CRTC, alleging the agreement between Corus and Bell-owned CTV amounted to an affiliate relationship, the CRTC said. According to broadcast regulations, all affiliate relationships must be approved by the CRTC

Representatives from Corus responded, noting that they would still have control over all programming decisions, and would not be required to air CTV News.

Furthermore, Corus said the relationship with CTV would be in the public interest, because it would keep local programming on over-the-air television. The CRTC accepted this statement, and dismissed King’s concerns.

“The Commission considers that the responsibility to provide the CBC’s services rests with the CBC, not with private broadcasters,” the CRTC wrote in its approval.

Reactions: jorgek
This leaves 3 affiliates left of CBC
CKSA Lloydminster, Alberta/Sask (they have a CTV station too)
CJDC Dawson Creek, BC
CFTK Terrace, BC

The last two stations ironically are owned by Bell, who owns CTV. They (Bell) said they will fulfill the commitment until 2017 with CBC

Reactions: CK SatGuy
OMG no more curling ! :eeek

But really,I'll probably watch 11 CKWS a lot more now.Other than a rare hockey game or the above mentioned curling(will stop for a few minutes when flipping thru channels),I don't watch any CBC programming.Ok I do find Rick Mercer amusing for a few minutes now and then.
I use Cband to get CTV now but who knows how much longer thats going to be FTA,I'm surprised it's been there as long as it has.

Reactions: Mr Tony
CJDC Dawson Creek, BC
CFTK Terrace, BC

The last two stations ironically are owned by Bell, who owns CTV. They (Bell) said they will fulfill the commitment until 2017 with CBC
What's more ironic is that Corus was created from a spinoff for Shaw (which owns Global TV) so you would have thought Corus would go with Global instead of CTV. Anyway, I don't think any station wants to affiliate with CBC-TV anymore. Considering all of the advertising from Hockey Night in Canada (which used to be the CBC's cash cow) has gone to Rogers and the ratings for the rest of their TV lineup is low, it wouldn't surprise for these last 3 affiliates to go (especially since 2 of them are owned by Bell, a competitor), and for CBC to be O&O only.

Reactions: Mr Tony
What's more ironic is that Corus was created from a spinoff for Shaw (which owns Global TV) so you would have thought Corus would go with Global instead of CTV.
Global prefers to do O&O because then it can do the whole network. CHFD in Thunder Bay is the only true affiliate and they show pretty much the whole network programming
CJON in Newfoundland (ID's as NTV) is a Global/CTV hybrid

it wouldn't surprise for these last 3 affiliates to go (especially since 2 of them are owned by Bell, a competitor), and for CBC to be O&O only.
Bell said they would honor the contract until 2017 for CJDC and CFTK

most of the CBC stations are owned by CBC. When Canada did the digital transition CBC shut down pretty much all their analog transmitters and even a few full power ones.

most of the CBC stations are owned by CBC. When Canada did the digital transition CBC shut down pretty much all their analog transmitters and even a few full power ones.
And when they did that we also lost the local TVOntario.
Makes perfect sense,turn off your transmitters,force people to pay to watch you and don't provide them with anything they want to watch :mad: A real money maker :biggrin

If I remember right when that happened (CBC & TVO turning off translators) Shaw Direct had a promo where you could get your locals for a minimal amount of money and free equipment.

Of course that does no good on this side of the border :)

Not 100 percent sure but I noticed CBC high power at The Sue has been shut down. I be leave it was a high power on channel 5

CJDC Dawson Creek, BC
CFTK Terrace, BC

well that didnt take long

Bell Media has filed an application to the CRTC for CJDC-TV serving Dawson Creek and Bullhead Mountain and CFTK-TV serving Terrace and Prince Rupert to disaffiliate from the CBC and become CTV Two stations.

well that didnt take long

Bell Media has filed an application to the CRTC for CJDC-TV serving Dawson Creek and Bullhead Mountain and CFTK-TV serving Terrace and Prince Rupert to disaffiliate from the CBC and become CTV Two stations.
Looks like Bell wants to terminate it's agreement with CBC early. February 21, 2016 would be the termination date if everything gets approved. Bell's application to the CRTC included this letter to the CBC found at the CRTC website: https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/ins...ult-Defaut.aspx?S=O&PA=B&PT=PT1&PST=A&lang=en

Attachments

• DM#2456506 - 2015-1227-8 - APP - Doc 2_Appendix 2_Termination Agreement.pdf
    520.1 KB · Views: 646

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)