CBS and 4.2.2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bpalone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
44N 105W
I have a question for those that are currently able to view and enjoy the CBS feeds. Would you mind sharing your hardware specs? For instance processor speed, how many cores, how much memory, etc.

I ask, because I have been trying to get VLC to play it via the output of a dsr-6000 and not getting very far. What I end up with is close but far from a cigar. So have started to wonder if it is that I have hardware that is not up to the task.

Thanks in advance for any info.

A whole lot of overkill, but my rig plays them fine. Ryzen 5 CPU, 16 gigs of DDR4 PC3000, M2 2280 Samsung SSD and a GTX 1070 video card.

Intel i7-4790@3.6GHz, 16GB memory, Asus P900A MB, Nvidia GeForce GT710 gpu, 250GB SSD, 1TB HD. Windose8.1, and TBS6903.

Acer Revo RL80-UR22. Also I know of a system built using a MSI Cubi, but don't know the exact specs. Also a recent model Mac Mini (with Intel core i5 processor and 8GB memory). All use Kodi for playback and the first two run Ubuntu 14.04 as the OS (at least the first one does, not 100% sure about the second because it's not mine).

Older Acer Revos that contain nVidia graphics are NOT powerful enough.

I don't think ANY ARM-based system will work, but I could be wrong. For example, no Raspberry Pi will work that I know of.

You can always use something like ffmpeg to reduce the recording down to something more manageable that your hardware can play, but such conversions cannot be done in real time, and generally take hours to complete (and please don't ask me what ffmpeg settings to use; it's been a long time since I've had any need to do that).

Want to thank everyone for their information. Armed with this information, I will move ahead and hopefully get it to work. Will report back after I get everything together and put it to the test. Will be a couple of weeks maybe.

Thanks again.

Reactions: beavs2112
OK, time for a report.

I picked up a used Small Form Factor PC with an Intel i5 running at 3.1 GHz, with (cough, cough) Windoze 7 Professional 64 bit, 8 gig of memory and a 500 gig hard drive. to that I added a GeForce GT 610, 1 Gig video card. All toll a little less than $200 into it all.

I figured that since I was having to use a computer with my DSR-6000 that I should go ahead get CBS back into the mix. Initially thought I would use the DSR to feed it into VLC on the computer. Never did get that to work, but could of been due to other reasons. What I ended up doing was using the (cough, cough) Win 7, EBSPro (which is freeware now), VLC version 2.8.8 (32 bit) and a TBS 5922 USB Tuner I had setting around. Watching CBS as I write this.

I don't think I would try anything less than GT 610 video card.

One, I am a bit tight with with a buck, and hate to spend more than needed. (I know, wrong hobby to be in.) Two, with the small form factor I am limited on just how much card I can power. By the time I would even consider paying for a 4K TV, they will be old tech.

But, a good point for anyone looking at this thread for guidance on putting together a system.

I should also correct my post about the system set up. The version of VLC is 2.2.8 (32 bit). I should of checked when I typed that one up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.