CBS stations return to DISH

Full power stations in a market that has any one channel on a satellite or cable system can choose to do one of two things
1) they can tell the carrier to pick up their channel with no strings attached (Demand "Must Carry"). At that point the cable/satellite system must carry the local channel in their most basic line-up.
I didn't think must-carry applied to satellite - only cable (?).

Remember many of DISH customers are rural, so I don't know if a simple off air antenna will work for a large amount of people or not.

Most of CBS owned stations are in metropolitan areas.

I know in the Bay Area KPIX signal can be reached by almost everyone.

The rural areas get their local CBS from San Jose or Sacramento which is not owned by CBS.

Sorry if already asked and answered, but as I scramble to set OTA timers for CBS, Does the dish anywhere app allow setting OTA timers?

Sorry if already asked and answered, but as I scramble to set OTA timers for CBS, Does the dish anywhere app allow setting OTA timers?
Yes, you can. I just did one. Note the channel number is 7-1, not 7-0 (satellite local).

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417722562591.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1417722562591.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 132
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417722577043.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1417722577043.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: kevinsickles
I didn't think must-carry applied to satellite - only cable (?).
That was true until, I think, 2008(?), maybe earlier. Satellite does not have to carry ANY local channels. However, if a satellite company elects to carry one channel in a market, they have to abide by the "must carry" rule for all full-power stations within that market with a few exceptions, like two stations with the same network affiliation within the same state. In that case they only have to carry one if the station asks for must carry. If two stations with the same network are in different states but within the same market, then must carry rules apply to both stations.

---
While looking for the year this was implemented I ran across a post I put in the old EKB years ago!
http://dishuser.org/mustcarry.php

It was in 1999 (implemented Jan 1, 2000), not 2008 that Must Carry was added to Satellite.

Here is the law:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/76.55

Most of CBS owned stations are in metropolitan areas.

I know in the Bay Area KPIX signal can be reached by almost everyone.
This is true, but if you are in NYC trying watching TV off an antenna in your Appartment / Condo / Loft. :D

For where I am in Connecticut, I can use a paper clip and pick up almost every station in the state. :D

I disagree. CBS still has eyes on their product, Dish is out the money for the antennas and the tech visits. CBS doesn't lose any money, they just wouldn't get the per subscriber fee. Dish actually is out money.
CBS loses money on the advertising with a smaller audience.

It depends on the station and your location. WBZ is in Boston, with a transmitter in Needham. It has such a strong signal that I, who am about 30 to 40 minutes north, in New Hampshire, pick up the channel fine via OTA. As Scott said, people living in downtown Boston or in the Back Bay... who knows.

I disagree. CBS still has eyes on their product, Dish is out the money for the antennas and the tech visits. CBS doesn't lose any money, they just wouldn't get the per subscriber fee. Dish actually is out money.
"CBS doesn't lose any money, they just wouldn't get the per subscriber fee." Wouldn't that mean they are losing money?

Talks end tonight at 7.............Les Mooves has said in the end CBS will prevail and Charlie Ergen will once again be the loser. He indicated when people want to watch Denver Broncos or another team this week the subscribers of Dish will not care about the back room talks between CBS and DISH. They want their game!
Dick Parsons of former Time Warner also indicated content is king, and in the end CBS is right.
To score these points, CBS is broadcasting their first Live Tv program in ages tonight Peter Pan at exactly the hour of the end of talks.........................should be interesting

CBS loses money on the advertising with a smaller audience.
Do you understand how they get money for advertising? It's based on ratings. There are only a certain number of ratings households that are measured. If a ratings household watches CBS via OTA instead of satellite, that still gets counted.

"CBS doesn't lose any money, they just wouldn't get the per subscriber fee." Wouldn't that mean they are losing money?
Not necessarily. It depends on your definition. Let's say you're an hourly employee. You're asked to work OT, which you decline. Are you losing money because you didn't work OT?

Not necessarily. It depends on your definition. Let's say you're an hourly employee. You're asked to work OT, which you decline. Are you losing money because you didn't work OT?
So CBS is saying that retrans fees are gravy and not a necessity. That does not play well into their hand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts