CBS stations return to DISH

I have detroit cbs as well. I'm hoping, but I know already that we can't. Maybe they will switch us to another cbs channel until all the dust stalls down.
I am physically closer to San Diego transmitters than LA. SD is not O&O. What is the chance of Dish allowing me to see SD instead of LA?
They legally can't offer you locals from outside of your DMA.

Yep 300% increase seems fair to me :(
http://online.wsj.com/articles/cbs-plays-hardball-as-affiliate-fees-pile-up-1408578087
"CBS, which has fewer cable-channel properties than its competitors but has been working to reduce its reliance on advertising in recent years, has made no secret of its plans to aggressively claim its slice of the retransmission-consent-fee pie. It has told investors that it plans to get to $2 billion in retransmission revenue, including money paid by affiliate stations, by 2020, up from $500 million last year."
I can't see the article since it requires a login. But looking at the section you quoted, did you notice that retransmission revenue includes money paid by affiliates, and it's over the next 6 years? That means non O&O CBS affiliates are ALSO going to paying more. But how much are they going to be paying vs. how much cable/satcos will be paying???

That's called collusion in restraint of trade. It's illegal. Major League Baseball tried that in the 90s when the owners refused to talk with a number of free agents. They were found out.

Not a lawyer, but it would seem that they should all be able to get together for some kind of class action suit against any or all of the OTA networks for their unreasonable demands causing so many providers to go dark every time the contract ends. Aren't the providers required to carry the networks in a market if they carry any? Or something like that? Didn't all the networks get together to sue Dish?

Not a lawyer, but it would seem that they should all be able to get together for some kind of class action suit against any or all of the OTA networks for their unreasonable demands causing so many providers to go dark every time the contract ends. Aren't the providers required to carry the networks in a market if they carry any? Or something like that? Didn't all the networks get together to sue Dish?
Depends on your definition of "unreasonable". And no, providers aren't required to carry networks. The affiliates (station owners) decide if they want retransmission $$ or if they must be carried. They don't get both.

I can't see the article since it requires a login. But looking at the section you quoted, did you notice that retransmission revenue includes money paid by affiliates, and it's over the next 6 years? That means non O&O CBS affiliates are ALSO going to paying more. But how much are they going to be paying vs. how much cable/satcos will be paying???

If you google "cbs retrans", and click on the WSJ story you can read it without a subscription. I did notice that included affiliates, but 300% increase in 6 years is still aggressive.

Thinking about moving I have 129 118 119 110 satellite now with Pittsburgh channels. What city can I move to to get KDKA cbs so we can still watch the Steelers and SEC football. I've tried antenna just to far away over 60 miles away.

Both companies do business to make as much money as possible. I don't fault them for that. The question is who is the one being unreasonable? I am afraid that is an answer we will never know.

Reactions: sam_gordon
Aren't the providers required to carry the networks in a market if they carry any? Or something like that?
Full power stations in a market that has any one channel on a satellite or cable system can choose to do one of two things
1) they can tell the carrier to pick up their channel with no strings attached (Demand "Must Carry"). At that point the cable/satellite system must carry the local channel in their most basic line-up.
2) they can ask for consideration (money or other restrictions/incentives) to grant the cable/satellite system permission to carry the channel (Retransmission Concent)

There is a 3 year cycle, meaning that if a station asks for retransmission consent and no deal can be reached, the cable/satellite carrier does NOT have to carry that station until the next election cycle comes along in 3 years. And conversely, if a station seeks "must carry" it cannot ask for consideration of any kind (other than what is prescribed by law/equal treatment) until the next election cycle.

Both companies do business to make as much money as possible. I don't fault them for that. The question is who is the one being unreasonable? I am afraid that is an answer we will never know.
Both... I still say Congress should pass legislation that forebodes either party to remove programming in a dispute until a third party arbitration process has attempted to resolve the dispute.

If dish is smart they will do what was done before. Offer free over the air antenna that clips to dish antenna. Have a service person install the antenna thus most dish subscribers can get the local stations.

This action will hurt CBS more then dish if dish does what I suggest they do.

If dish is smart they will do what was done before. Offer free over the air antenna that clips to dish antenna. Have a service person install the antenna thus most dish subscribers can get the local stations.

I don't think that will work with a Hopper/Joey installation as it doesn't support diplexers.

Remember many of DISH customers are rural, so I don't know if a simple off air antenna will work for a large amount of people or not.

Reactions: david_jr
Dish switched my locals from LA to San Diego, but we could not convince the program guide to download
Does anyone know any tricks we did not all ready try? All we tried so far is unplugging the HWS for 30 seconds and later for 1 minute, a few times. several red button resets and a couple check switch. We are still on S506.

Remember many of DISH customers are rural, so I don't know if a simple off air antenna will work for a large amount of people or not.
It would be interesting to know, what percentage of DBS customers are rural, and then what percentage of Dish customers and DirecTV customers. I have searched for data such as that in the past, but was ever able to find anything conclusive. Do you have a guess Scott?

I disagree. CBS still has eyes on their product, Dish is out the money for the antennas and the tech visits. CBS doesn't lose any money, they just wouldn't get the per subscriber fee. Dish actually is out money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)