CBS stations return to DISH

The only thing I read into this is that Dish unfortunately has all these contracts expiring at the same time. So far it has been only a single dispute since only turner channels went dark. The likelihood of it remaining a single dispute is low. But I don't attribute that to a deeper Dish problem. Both CBS and Comcast want a lot of money, Dish isn't just going to agree to that. Ideally it's resolved without a dispute, but in the long run, a dispute that keeps overall cost down is probably better for both Dish and consumers.
Reading between the lines here it has become apparent to me there is an intrenched pro Dish TV collective presence here....duh...
My political consultant and real-estate experience has taught me aligning oneself with the great unknown is risky business. Anyway you want to spin it Dish TV, CBS, Comcast or any other billion dollar corp are all about themselves, my loyalty, your loyalty, or anyones else's loyalty mean nothing... to them.

Ok people, so between my busy schedule of work, doctoral studies, and my wife and kids, my lack of desire to read between all the opinions is making me post this. I'm going to pull the card of one of the types of posters that I can't stand (my least favorite is the repeated channel requests, sorry Allen: just giving a joking jab) what is the latest with this saga? If it's status quo, just let me know, without the added opinion. If I want opinion, I'll hang out in the Pit. I barely watch TV (outside movies and hockey/football), so this is to appease the wife, who watches 2/3 of the CBS primetime lineup.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: bluegras
Ok people, so between my busy schedule of work, doctoral studies, and my wife and kids, my lack of desire to read between all the opinions is making me post this. I'm going to pull the card of one of the types of posters that I can't stand (my least favorite is the repeated channel requests, sorry Allen: just giving a joking jab) what is the latest with this saga? If it's status quo, just let me know, without the added opinion. If I want opinion, I'll hang out in the Pit. I barely watch TV (outside movies and hockey/football).
Status Quo.

There have been a couple of short term extensions to avoid going dark. Some interpret that as they being close to a deal. I don't - I think it's just posturing to get past the Holiday weekend and make "we tried" claims.

They are still negotiating and still working off their second extension. Time will only tell. Those are the facts. Opinions vary

Reactions: Nominal
Ok people, so between my busy schedule of work, doctoral studies, and my wife and kids, my lack of desire to read between all the opinions is making me post this. I'm going to pull the card of one of the types of posters that I can't stand (my least favorite is the repeated channel requests, sorry Allen: just giving a joking jab) what is the latest with this saga? If it's status quo, just let me know, without the added opinion. If I want opinion, I'll hang out in the Pit. I barely watch TV (outside movies and hockey/football), so this is to appease the wife, who watches 2/3 of the CBS primetime lineup.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Is your market even affected ? It may not be...

Reading between the lines here it has become apparent to me there is an intrenched pro Dish TV collective presence here....duh...
My political consultant and real-estate experience has taught me aligning oneself with the great unknown is risky business. Anyway you want to spin it Dish TV, CBS, Comcast or any other billion dollar corp are all about themselves, my loyalty, your loyalty, or anyones else's loyalty mean nothing... to them.

Yes to a certain point to your first point, and yes generally for any business.
I am pro DISH in that they offer me my best alternative for what I watch, how I watch, and amount I pay to watch TV. But most of us are not blind and you can find many criticisms by most all of us at certain things we don't like about DISH. But don't confuse incorrect criticism then being corrected as being pro DISH. When it is posted that you aren't saving much over DIRECT yet there are all these disputes with DISH, there is a factual answer to that. (I won't go into it again) Heck I agreed that DISH may have more disputes and others have since provided information that may not be exactly correct anymore.
Did their horrible receivers get heat from all of us, sure did. When their receivers are better do we say so, yep. Most here readily chastise DISH for not fixing certain problems with the Hopper. And we all know when DISH says something will be done "soon" you have a long wait ahead.

To a small extent DISH has shown some loyalty to me, with a free upgrade or two that others pay for, or discounts etc... but your point is correct. Businesses are loyal to themselves first. (Stockholders etc...)

I have long thought there is a little different relationship with DISH than you might have with other providers. DISH has a recognizable, sometimes controversial leader, and DISH seems to me to be much more quirky. (Not necessarily in a bad way)

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadT41
I am a fan of Dish and will support them in any and every contract dispute. I will not lie about it. I will not leave dish because of a program dispute. And it has nothing to do with loyalty to Dish. It has to do with a superior product.

The Hopper is the best DVR out there. Period. The following features make it worth going through program disputes (which most are temporary):
1. Built-in Sling
2. Wireless transfer to Kindle or iPad (and other devices) - I use this feature constantly. I love being able to have movies to watch while traveling. My wife will download a show to watch when we have to drive long distances. It is a great feature.
3. Auto-hop - I wish they would extend this to other channels, but not likely. We will wait until the next day to watch most shows just because of this feature.
4. PTAT - The fact that every show for all 4 major networks are recorded makes it almost like on demand. I don't watch as many shows as my wife, so this is something that she puts higher than me on the list. But the fact that I don't have to worry about conflicts to record any network shows is a huge advantage.
5. External Hard Drive - I know that this is available for past DVR's for Dish (not sure about DirecTV or cable), but what I like about Hopper is that I can have two hooked up at one time. Also, the fact that I have over 400 movies recorded on my EHD's will help me get through any dispute.
6. Whole home - Hopper is a TRUE whole home DVR. Unlike others that say whole home, but only support up to 4 TV's. I have 6 TV's hooked up to the hoppers and if I actually wanted to pay for it, I could have had 9. My youngest son (9) records cartoons on their Hopper upstairs, but can watch them on the downstairs Hopper. I loved how they are linked together. Related to this is the fact that I can pause something in one room and continuing watching in another room. (I know that other whole home DVR's do that too, but it is very easy with the hopper.)
7. Game Finder - This is absolutely awesome for college football and basketball.
8. Home Media - Can watch movies that are on my computer.
9. Conflict Handling - When there is a conflict, the hopper will bring up all of the recordings that conflict so that you can choose which one to change.
10. Social Media app - Can view twitter while watching a game.

Reactions: KAB and ChadT41
To take a wild guess, I think it would last longer. I'm guessing 2 more extensions and a brief 3 day blackout. It just feels that way. Is Charlie pushing for the OTT services?

Reactions: TheKrell
I remember Directv did a early agreement deal with CBS 2 years ago
which isn't normally done that way.
Probably because of the Viacom dispute at the time.

But ask yourself, who has more incentive to keep Dish's customers happy, Dish or CBS? I don't think rooting for Dish in this one is showing blind loyalty, it is in our best interest long term. If Dish doesn't fight a 100 % rate increase request (as reported) every time they get one, we would all be seeing 100 % increases in our bills every year and Dish would soon be out of business. Dish often comes out looking like the bad guy, but in reality someone has to say enough. For all the pom-pom waving look at all the posts of people reducing packages and even cord cutting to save money. I think we are all already feeing the pinch and Dish knows there is a breaking point. DTV generally has a higher end customer and their breaking point might be a bit higher than Dish's.

Reactions: ChadT41
CBS would be crazy to blackout this month. They are offering a one month free trial cyber Monday deal for their new streaming service with on demand after one day. I won't even have to pay anything to watch while the fight goes on and if it drags out $5.99 mo. for January, February...

CBS would be crazy to blackout this month. They are offering a one month free trial cyber Monday deal for their new streaming service with on demand after one day. I won't even have to pay anything to watch while the fight goes on and if it drags out $5.99 mo. for January, February...
Wouldn't that be more incentive to black out? People will be forced to use their streaming app.

Streaming TV shows over the internet only appeals to a small % of viewers. Can you imagine a family or even 2-3 people crowded around a laptop screen trying to watch The Big Bang Theory ? Don't suggest connecting a laptop to a TV either - the average person does not do that. I presume there's an app for this CBS option but again, the average person or household isn't going to jump at that as an alternative.

Streaming TV shows over the internet only appeals to a small % of viewers. Can you imagine a family or even 2-3 people crowded around a laptop screen trying to watch The Big Bang Theory ? Don't suggest connecting a laptop to a TV either - the average person does not do that. I presume there's an app for this CBS option but again, the average person or household isn't going to jump at that as an alternative.
While various streaming gadgets have made it much easier to do these days, most probably still don't do it to the TV. It is a bit too fiddly for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)