CBS stations return to DISH

so i'll be right in the "third times a charm" perdition i made last week for ether long term deal or blackout. and i'm leaning towards a blackout as in their dispute will enter "broadcast strike" mode.

that's the term i want everyone refer to dispute related blackouts as, a broadcast strike.

To take a wild guess, I think it would last longer. I'm guessing 2 more extensions and a brief 3 day blackout. It just feels that way. Is Charlie pushing for the OTT services?
This was my guess earlier this week. We should start a pool next dispute(Turner again?)

CBS Threatens to Go Dark for Dish Subscribers
The Wrap
By Travis Reilly and Tim Kenneally 5 hours ago
CBS has set a deadline for negotiations with Dish Network.If the sides can't resolve a deal before Thursday evening at 7 p.m. ET, the broadcast network is prepared to go dark for Dish subscribers. The companies agreed in November to an extension of negotiations, but a deal has not yet been worked out.“In the last few weeks, we have granted two extensions, in the hopes that this would give both parties sufficient time to come to a resolution. The second extension, which protected Dish subscribers’ programming over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, was the final one,” CBS said in a statement issued Tuesday.“We would very much like to avoid going dark, thereby joining the more than 120 stations Dish has dropped since 2013 alone,” the broadcast company continued. “Unless agreements are reached, however, our viewers should be prepared to lose CBS from their Dish systems on Thursday evening at 7:00 PM/ET.”Previously, CBS accused Dish Network of “dragging its feet.”During the run-up to Thanksgiving, CBS and Dish agreed to a pair of temporary extensions to keep the network's content on Dish's roster.
However, the forceful tone of CBS's latest statement recalls previous eruptions during the dispute, which has occasionally turned nasty. In November, CBS accused Dish of “dragging its feet” while the two companies were trying to hash out how much Dish should pay to carry the network.“Dish has been deliberately dragging its feet for months,” CBS said in an earlier statement. “Now, as the deadline nears, Dish appears willing to drop the most popular programming in its entire channel lineup because it won't negotiate the same sort of deal that other cable, satellite and telco companies have struck with CBS.”“Not reaching agreements is nothing new for Dish,” the network added.Dish countered that it has been “actively working to reach a deal before the contract expires,” noting, “Only CBS can force a blackout of its channels.”
Read the full statement issued by CBS on Tuesday:
“For six months, CBS has been vigorously attempting to secure fair carriage deals with Dish. During that time, Dish has clearly not been operating with the same sense of urgency,” the broadcast network wrote. “In the last few weeks, we have granted two extensions, in the hopes that this would give both parties sufficient time to come to a resolution. The second extension, which protected Dish subscribers’ programming over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, was the final one. We would very much like to avoid going dark, thereby joining the more than 120 stations Dish has dropped since 2013 alone. Unless agreements are reached, however, our viewers should be prepared to lose CBS from their Dish systems on Thursday evening at 7:00 PM/ET.” https://tv.yahoo.com/news/cbs-threatens-dark-dish-subscribers-192800804.html

The wording sounds like CBS is tryingn to hold dish customers hostage. Dish is saying it wants a fair deal, not necessarily what the other providers are lying, because they were afraid of losing CBS but a fair deal for the actual value of the channels. Wish we had more info.

His local CBS is WBBM, Chicago. It's an O&O...
You had posted where he lived before and presuming that was correct, yes, I saw that Chicago is his local market. I remember him trying to get Bloomington or Peoria locals by antenna though, so I thought he was closer (in fact, he is) to those though.

Ultimately we aren't privy to the negotiations. So we don't know how close or far apart the parties are or what has happened in the last six months or last two weeks.

I will note that saying we go dark unless there is a deal by Thursday at 7 because we've already had two extensions is stupid reasoning. Dish and Disney had months long extensions so it's not like having two previous extensions prevents another one. Maybe I'd be more sympathetic if Les wasn't such an .... His statement that the Dish-Disney deal wasn't good enough for CBS makes me disinclined to support CBS' position.

Just checked the WBZ Facebook page. WBZ is making it seem like this is all the fault of DISH, just like Fox25 did when FIOS dropped them, but the viewer comments are all directed towards CBS. For the most part they suggest CBS should not be asking for more money.
We cut the cord two years ago so it's not an issue for us, but frankly had Congress not cleared the way for OTA stations to charge for retransmission of the FREE signal, this would,not be an issue.
If we ever go back to a pay service I would never not have an antenna, there is lots of programming available on sub channels that is not carried by pay TV, plus it would keep,us safe from this problem.

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

Why should they be another extension if Dish is not ready for a deal
Dish should be thankful that CBS played nice and didn't pulled the channel first chance they had

If anything 1 extension is what most content owners go for unless it's really close to an agreement
and needed the extra days

But with the increases close by if it's confirmed to be true, then really it was no need for this nonsense.

So if I got free Showtime during the Turner dispute and will be losing it, you think they will give me anything to replace it, or will I just lose out?

Streaming TV shows over the internet only appeals to a small % of viewers. Can you imagine a family or even 2-3 people crowded around a laptop screen trying to watch The Big Bang Theory ? Don't suggest connecting a laptop to a TV either - the average person does not do that. I presume there's an app for this CBS option but again, the average person or household isn't going to jump at that as an alternative.

I do not know what century you are living in, but I am 60 years old and I and everyone I know stream television shows. I watch more Netflix, their original content is much better than any tripe most OTA Networks produce. To honestly believe that Streaming shows is a small percentage of viewers is completely wrong. As of last month Netflix accounted for over 35% of all Internet traffic in North America.

It's not me believing those numbers, they are statistics from groups in the industry (I posted more details and a link in another thread here).

Just checked the WBZ Facebook page. WBZ is making it seem like this is all the fault of DISH, just like Fox25 did when FIOS dropped them, but the viewer comments are all directed towards CBS. For the most part they suggest CBS should not be asking for more money.
We cut the cord two years ago so it's not an issue for us, but frankly had Congress not cleared the way for OTA stations to charge for retransmission of the FREE signal, this would,not be an issue.
If we ever go back to a pay service I would never not have an antenna, there is lots of programming available on sub channels that is not carried by pay TV, plus it would keep,us safe from this problem.

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk
Just want to point out, broadcast owners do PAY for their spectrum. First, they payed to acquire the rights to the spectrum, and they pay yearly in fees to renew their licenses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)