CCCam, Clines, etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
Is this terminology that only applies to those who like to wear an eye-patch? If so, this thread can be closed. Or, is there a legitimate use for cccam? What is cccam anyway? My S9 seems to support this but I've always ignored it.

No idea about officially. When I say support, I mean there is a menu title. Who knows if it works? If somebody can tell me what to do with it, I'll try it out. My brief reading says it can allow you to stream video or other media files to ?. Other reading says it is to stream contents of "cards" which we can guess what that is about.

In the US and Canada, service providers require customers to purchase proprietary set top boxes for reception of their subscription services. Reception of their subscription services with a 3rd party STB is not permitted. There are no subscription service providers in North America that allow 3rd party receivers to share a single subscription card.

The features that you mention are used to share decryption keys codes between receivers. In very few instances this is legit. An example of legal usage would be if a subscription serice provider allowed their customer to purchase only one CAS card and would authorize all receivers in the customer's home to have legal access to the subscribed channel(s) without requiring a separate subscription card for each receiver. Typically these features are used for unauthorized sharing of decryption codes to enable theft of services against a service provider.

Attention Moderators: This is a good education thread that should be kept open as long as there is no hack talk. I get questions quite often about these menu options that are found in most receivers manufactured for the international markets.

This is all good to know. Google is my bosom friend, except in some cases one needs a high level overview of something before getting into intimate detail. Anyway, this all sounds like something for Europeans and Arrgghhh! North Americans.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

viewing CoolSat 5000 Favorites

New to FTA and need some pointers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)