ccmcast nees adjusted by the feds ADA issue

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
as most of you may have noticed I am mildly dyslecix, however thats spelled.

for a variety of reasons I usually pay my bill at the corliss / sheraden office. I grew up in sheraden and still have some friends there.

well comcast upgraded to a pay the bill yourself kiosk. I had hassles in the past verizon wireless tried making me use that machine, which took 2 hours to straighten out. so i refuse to use such machines, or self check outs, and others its not worth the hassle.

the staff of the corliss office is under strict orders to make every customer use that !$&^ kiosk. I said nO and told tem I will cancel service over this.

not only that they ask lots of intrusive questions like why wouldnt you use it? let me show you how. stuff like that. I really dont like explaining things..

is there a way to file a official ADA complaint?

I am currently shopping for a new internet provider...

incidently my dad cant read or write at all, yet he retired from being a precision machinist for goodyear aerospace. parts he machined went to the moon, and some are still there. my brother is a machinist too, his reading skills improved over the years

1-Post Needed to Send PM

Tried to reply to your post but it won't let me, too new I guess, plus had 1 link of where you can file an ADA complaint. So tried to send you a PM instead, & it wouldn't let me do that unless I had 1 post. Pfff!

So here's 1 post, & I will try to send you a PM after this, with link to DOJ site where you can file an official ADA complaint.

To understand the ADA, you need to understand two concepts.

First is "major life activity". To be disabled under the act, you have to be unable to do some "major life activity". Dyslexia, which I also suffer from, may or may not qualify. Illiteracy, which is a lifestyle choice, does not.

Second is "reasonable accomodation". A provider of a "public accomodation" has to make "reasonable accomodations", meaning reasonable in cost, to allow disabled persons to participate.

You PREFER to pay your bills in cash at an office. Comcast no longer allows that. However to prevail you would have to show that you are UNABLE to use ANY other way to pay (not just the kiosk, but auto-charge to credit cards, auto-draft from a checking account, simply paying by check by mail, paying a third party billing service, etc) . Since I assume that you have paid other bills in other ways, you have little chance of showing that you cannot.

you could always just pay online with a credit card (not auto pay)..but then there would be nothing to complain about

you could always just pay online with a credit card (not auto pay)..but then there would be nothing to complain about

This is where I was going, Bob, you use the computer, why not just pay it online ...
there are several options available, you can use the Comcast website I am sure, or you may be able to use your own banking establishment to pay them online like I do.

I go to my Credit Union website, once I have the Bill set up in the system, paying them is a breeze.

A friend of mine makes a huge deal out of paying bills, takes her over an hour.
I tell her, whats the big deal, if you set it up correctly ...

It takes me about 5 minutes to pay all my bills, 10 minutes at most.

I go thru the Credit Union and all but one is a Online payment, so it happens right away, the other one, the CU actually writes them a check for me ... I don't know when the last time was that I actually wrote a check .... matter of fact, I don't remember where my check book is.

as most of you may have noticed I am mildly dyslecix, however thats spelled.

for a variety of reasons I usually pay my bill at the corliss / sheraden office. I grew up in sheraden and still have some friends there.

well comcast upgraded to a pay the bill yourself kiosk. I had hassles in the past verizon wireless tried making me use that machine, which took 2 hours to straighten out. so i refuse to use such machines, or self check outs, and others its not worth the hassle.

the staff of the corliss office is under strict orders to make every customer use that !$&^ kiosk. I said nO and told tem I will cancel service over this.

not only that they ask lots of intrusive questions like why wouldnt you use it? let me show you how. stuff like that. I really dont like explaining things..

is there a way to file a official ADA complaint?

I am currently shopping for a new internet provider...

incidently my dad cant read or write at all, yet he retired from being a precision machinist for goodyear aerospace. parts he machined went to the moon, and some are still there. my brother is a machinist too, his reading skills improved over the years
let see verizon is out..comcast is out..dish network (hughesnet) is out..not much of a choice left for internet..unless you want to go wireless

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts