Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bill_KY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Northern Kentucky
I have two questions about CCTV on 95W.

Is this transponder is strong enough to get on a small dish? 18" Linear LNB?

Second, I understand that CCTV9 is the English version.

I have a extra 18" dish and a extra Linear LNB and a spot on my DiSeqC switch to put one more dish.

Is CCTV9 China's version of a all news network in English? Anything interesting on that channel?

Thanks

(I feel a project coming on..lol)

Hi,

Grabbing the signal with an 18" dish might be tricky, you're better off using something bigger, 24" may do it for you. Bigger is better.

I'm using a 90cm (36") motorized dish, and getting a good strong signal (87%) at 48N/85W. Visit Lyngsat dot com, find the sat, find the channel, and click on the blue "Ku" on the right, you'll see the footprint map and the suggested dish sizes for your location. Lyngsat is full of good info, once you get used to browsing it.

As for programming, the channel is not entirely newscasts. While at Lyngsat, click on the blue "CCTV9" to the right of the TP freq., it's a link to their website to see what they offer. Lots of stuff, if Chinese culture interests you! I enjoy tuning in once in a while.

Hope I've been helpful, Good Luck.

The CCTV transponder is a hot one. I can't for the life of me get the search function to turn up Iceburg's thread where he got CCTV on a D500. My search-fu is weak today.
A 24" Dish/Voom dish should work reasonably.
But a 75cm class dish should work perfect.

All I've ever seen on CCTV9 was Chinese documentaries and News.

And remember with all state-run news outlets:
$COUNTRY broadcast from = $COUNTRY good
CCTV pushes good a little farther and is mostly "as is well in China"
They got called out on it near the start of the year and I've seen more coverage of riots and shortages since then. One story streached over the week. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Lyngsat while good does not have the most up to date info. The best info seems to come from here. A member mentioned something about getting CCTV on a 18" dish.

yes it can be done on a 18" dish...I done it before (and the pics below are to prove it)

The CCTV9 is in English and has documentaries but does have news too but as noted, its government run

Attachments

• 18 test rig 1.JPG
    18 test rig 1.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 18 test rig 2.JPG
    18 test rig 2.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 18 test rig 3.JPG
    18 test rig 3.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 18 test rig 4.JPG
    18 test rig 4.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 18 test rig 5.JPG
    18 test rig 5.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 136
now here in Minnesota its just off my true south (of 93W) so in Kentucky you will have to skew the LNB...skew on a smaller dish is CRITICAL!

I did it, CCTV on a 18" Old Direct TV Dish with a Linear FTA LNB. The quality signals seem low. But the signals are stable. The LNB is a Orion, which has always read low no matter what kind of dish I put it on. I probably have to fool with the skew some more too.

I got all the CCTV channels with no problem. There were other channels but were encrypted.

Attachments

• DSCN0626.JPG
    DSCN0626.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN0628.JPG
    DSCN0628.JPG
    605.5 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN0630.JPG
    DSCN0630.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCN0631.JPG
    DSCN0631.JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 159
I got all the CCTV channels with no problem. There were other channels but were encrypted.

Bill
try skewing the LNB a little. Looks like its almost set to 0 skew which in Kentucky would be off by 10 degrees or so

stand in front of the dish and turn it clockwise a little bit

Looks good otherwise :)

Bill
try skewing the LNB a little. Looks like its almost set to 0 skew which in Kentucky would be off by 10 degrees or so

stand in front of the dish and turn it clockwise a little bit

Looks good otherwise :)

The list based on my Zip Code shows

95.0°W Galaxy 3C C/Ku 43.5° 196.1 201.3° 12.4°L - skew

I am going to mount it to the rail this weekend and then peak the skew. CCTV9 looks interesting enough for the effort.

Thanks again...

If you dont skew it on a 30" dish it will hinder the signal a little bit
Dont skew it on a 18" and it is really hindered....that signal should go up some when you skew it correctly

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts