Channel Master and Echostar working on new OTA DVR

you dont have to renew...after the 1 year it goes month to month

Right but I plan to cancel service once that year contract is up and sell my unit. I will miss some of the TIVO features, but will save money by using the cable companies dvr. If this new CM DVR is something special I will get one. I just hope is does have all of the features and apps the customers have been asking for. They could give TIVO a run for their money if it's a stellar product.

Right but I plan to cancel service once that year contract is up and sell my unit. I will miss some of the TIVO features, but will save money by using the cable companies dvr. If this new CM DVR is something special I will get one. I just hope is does have all of the features and apps the customers have been asking for. They could give TIVO a run for their money if it's a stellar product.

You can also just buy a TiVo with lifetime. The series 3 seem to be going from $250-300 on ebay now.

I've bought 2 HD TiVos with Lifetime and upgraded the internal 160GB hard drives to a 1.0GB and a 1.5GB.

I use them for all my OTA recordings.

The lifetime service pays for itself in less than 2 years - after that it's all gravy.

Actually it is almost 3 years before it's "gravy" at the current subscription price of $15/month or $500 for the life of the dvr. Even the Tivo mini clients subscription is over 2 years with the price of $6/month or $150 for life of the box.

I've bought 2 HD TiVos with Lifetime and upgraded the internal 160GB hard drives to a 1.0GB and a 1.5GB.

I use them for all my OTA recordings.

The lifetime service pays for itself in less than 2 years - after that it's all gravy.

Even at 3 years, actually 33 months (26 months with Multi-service discount), it is still a good deal.

The best thing about TiVo HD is that you can easily copy recordings to your PC and edit them for playback on any DNLA device, even on my Hopper.

I was able to get both of mine upgraded to Lifetime for $100 each, I guess I caught TiVo in a good mood both times - maybe having 4 Tivos on my account helped.

Last edited:
Iceberg is right, there are a few Tivo 3 w/ lifetime on E* at a decent price.
For completed listings, best I saw was 116$.. worst was 450$ w/ upgraded storage.

Cheers, K

with folks dumping Series 3 and Premieres for Roamios (4 tuners) there are some bargains....only thing is the OTA tuner in the Premier is pretty crappy. Series 3 much better

As usual Iceberg knows everything,and I bow to his expertise and knowledge.
I was just looking at Tivo because the daughter is all worried that if we go with just OTA and streaming she will miss some shows because she works 2nd shift. Then I saw that the Roamio with 4 tuners and clients could basically duplicate what I now have with DTV if I put 2 DVRs downstairs and 4 clients in the bedrooms. Yes I would lose a couple tuners. Then I started adding up the subscription fees and realized it would be costing me $50/month to watch OTA. I might as well just cut back to baseline service from DTV and keep my current equipment.
I'm assuming the series 3 can not be networked for remote viewing like the premier & Roamio can? Then again at $125- $150 each, with a lifetime subscription ,I could just stack up 2 in the livingroom and family room ,have plenty of tuners to record and just settle for live tv or Roku in the bedrooms.

Last edited:
Which is why I will never be buying a Roamio. I receive nearby markets via OTA and need to have the unit tune both digital cable and OTA. Therefore we are limited to the TivoHD and Premiere 2-tuner models. Not happy about this...

The TiVo series 3 HDs can transfer shows between them for viewing in other rooms, but you have to transfer the program. The Premiere/Romeo can stream the content off another Premiere/Romeo (they have to do a transfer if talking to an S3). The mini is simply a diskless/tunerless premiere that streams from a Premiere or Romeo.

So, if you got 2 Romeos one for cable one for OTA you can stream the content between them and any mini's you might have. But, of course 2 Romeos is some $$.

it was approved by the fcc september 30th there is an article on tvtechnology about it from yesterday it is tiltled EchoStar Gets Approval for Analog Tuner-Less DVR

I dont think the lack of "apps" is a game changer for me. About 35 years ago some folks still had black and white TVs..noawadays we're just spoiled.
Granted it would be nice to have an "all-in-one" box, but I dont mind changing TV inputs to the Roku. But the site does say their trying to intergrate other streamign services.

Pricewise, 249$ is quite attractive. I'll wait for a few reviews before I jump in.

Cheers, K

$250 for what is essentially a fancy tuner. You need to add $100-150 for a reasonable external Hard Drive in order to make it a true DVR. That is bringing it into TIVO territory with lifetime.

They do say more streaming is coming "soon", but it seems strange that there is no Netflix at least. netflix makes their GUI available on everything.

They also have a disclaimer on the guide data saying it is subject to change without notice. They don't mention if there is a fee associated with the guide data.

....They don't mention if there is a fee associated with the guide data.

They do say "subscription-free." Since the guide requires broadband, it isn't PSIP. I wonder if PSIP is available when broadband isn't. Oddly, I have a TV that does not supply PSIP.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)