Charlie Chat Recap 9/11

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Wasn't their TIVO countersuit tossed out?

I shudder at the thought of the "workaround" solution they have in mind....

minnow said:
To the poster who was asking about DNS: Charlie didn't tell us anything we haven't known for weeks here. E* has a proposed settlement with everyone except one network who he did not identify(FOX) and the settlement has gone to the judge for approval. He didn't seem to me to be all that confident about if DNS was going to be saved or not and mentioned a couple of times that DNS only affects a small % of their customer base(I question that assertation). On the DVR issue he claimed that E* was actually the inventor of the DVR and that they have a countersuit against TIVO. The TIVO ruling is being appealed and the E* engineers have a workaround to download if all else fails. He was very confident that no one will lose the DVR service.

Thanks for the update about the DNS. I missed the chat but from what I have been reading it would seem that I did not miss much!

BobMurdoch said:
Wasn't their TIVO countersuit tossed out?
No it wasn't tossed out, the judge just basically put it on hold as its waits for the Patent guys to finish their review. Once that review is finished by the patent office then the judge will reopen the Echostar lawsuit against Tivo.

"We actually invented the Dvr."

No Charlie, I actually invented the Dvr. No. Sorry, It was the The Time Machine... Never Mind.

Last edited:
Miner said:
I watched it instead of 3 blowhards talking about themselves and anything other than a football game, aka MNF.
A 3 point game with a 48 yard field goal with seconds on the clock to try and send it to over time isn't a football game ?
It didn't have the outcome I wanted, but it was a decently exciting game non the less. Sorry you thought an infomercial was more entertaining. :D

Just what is Dish talking about when they say they can do a seamless DVR workaround? I would think seamless means we keep all the current functions. Are they saying they can do that by making a software change that cannot be viewed as a patent infringement?

They sounded a lot more confident on the eventual outcome of being allowed to continue to provide PVR functionality than being able to negotiate anything with Fox on the Distant channels.

According to an article on Wiki, it was Ampex.

Wikipedia said:
The first DVR was tested on July 8, 1965, when CBS explored the possibilities of instant freeze-frame and rewind for sporting event broadcasts. Ampex released the first commercial hard disk video recorder in 1967. The HS-100 recorded analog video onto a digital hard disk and could store a maximum of only 30 seconds.

splino said:
"We actually invented the Dvr."

No Charlie, I actually invented the Dvr. No. Sorry, It was the The Time Machine... Never Mind.

One quick question: based on the summary (thanks!), can existing customers with one 622 get another 622? I remember that at some point there was a year wait or something like that? Thanks in advance for clarifying this issue.

cebbigh said:
Just what is Dish talking about when they say they can do a seamless DVR workaround? I would think seamless means we keep all the current functions. Are they saying they can do that by making a software change that cannot be viewed as a patent infringement?

They sounded a lot more confident on the eventual outcome of being allowed to continue to provide PVR functionality than being able to negotiate anything with Fox on the Distant channels.

You misunderstand.....

When Charlie means "seamless" he means that the churn numbers don't fluctuate out of hand once he removes the offending "features", ie. commercial skip and Rew/FF.

OK, I'm just being feisty, ignore me.... I'm cranky waiting for my distants that I fought for years to get to go away...

BobMurdoch said:
You misunderstand.....

When Charlie means "seamless" he means that the churn numbers don't fluctuate out of hand once he removes the offending "features", ie. commercial skip and Rew/FF....

Although you say that with sarcasm, I wouldn't be at all surprised how close that prediction comes to pass. :eureka:

BobMurdoch said:
You misunderstand.....

When Charlie means "seamless" he means that the churn numbers don't fluctuate out of hand once he removes the offending "features", ie. commercial skip and Rew/FF.

OK, I'm just being feisty, ignore me.... I'm cranky waiting for my distants that I fought for years to get to go away...

My misunderstanding. He didn't mean seamless. He meant seem less.

Damn. No RSN HD info :( Hoping to get NESN HD before the start of hockey season.

Who is the intended audience for Charlie Chat?

It seems like this show most of the time they were trying to sell Dish Network. I thought if you are watching the show, you already are a subscriber...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts