Charlotte Local HD Nets uplinked

Chuck...If you are actually in Charlotte, you may find pulling them in via OTA is preferable to the HD-lite versions on Dish. Depending on where you live, you can usually pull htem in pretty easy with only a small indoor antenna. Even though I'm down in Rock Hill, I am in a good spot to get them all with an indoor...and they integrate nicely into Dish's receivers.

(plus you'd also get the other local HD channels as well...CW, MYNT, 2 or 3 PBS HD channels, etc)

Last edited:
I pull all of them OTA here in Greenville SC, and HD of all of them too...w/ a preamp outdoor antenna.

I've actually been able to pickup a couple Greenville stations here with my indoor antenna (if I turn it around and aim it just right. LOL) The Silver Sensor does an awesome job!

Chuck...If you are actually in Charlotte, you may find pulling them in via OTA is preferable to the HD-lite versions on Dish. Depending on where you live, you can usually pull htem in pretty easy with only a small indoor antenna. Even though I'm down in Rock Hill, I am in a good spot to get them all with an indoor...and they integrate nicely into Dish's receivers.

(plus you'd also get the other local HD channels as well...CW, MYNT, 2 or 3 PBS HD channels, etc)

Thas is a very good point and I'm glad you reminded me of it. I live in apartment and use a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna and pick up my locals, both SD and HD, just fine. In fact, for some reason, I can pick up the PBS HD station out of Rock Hill, where you live, whereas I can't pick it up from our local station, WTVI.

I guess I'm just waiting until Feb. 1st when the upfront cost of the HD-DVR goes away.

this is great news, I've been waiting for dish to add these, btw once there uplinked how long does it usually take for them to go live?

since the Raleigh HD locals are also on 118.75, a charlotte customer who signs up for HD service would be eligible for a "move" to Raleigh. A lot of people in the Charlotte market are probably alumni from NC State, Duke, or UNC and would love to have Raleigh locals again. Of course, WRAL-HD and WRAZ-HD aren't available yet but that will change eventually.

I recently subscribed to Dish and am scheduled for an install. In the email confirmation they said I would get a Dish 500 for orbital locations 129.0 110.0 119.0.

Will this allow me to get the HD channels when they are finally live? Or is the Dish 1000 required?

I recently subscribed to Dish and am scheduled for an install. In the email confirmation they said I would get a Dish 500 for orbital locations 129.0 110.0 119.0.

Will this allow me to get the HD channels when they are finally live? Or is the Dish 1000 required?

I'd question that right off the bat. A Dish 500 only sees 110 & 119. A regular Dish 1000 sees 110, 119, & 129. Another option is that some folks have two Dish 500s, one aimed @110/119, and a second aimed specifically at 129.

In THIS case, however, since CLT HD Locals were placed on the satellite at 118.7, you will have two options:

1. A Dish 1000 PLUS dish, which is made to look at 110, 118.7, 119, & 129

OR

2. A Dish 500 PLUS, which sees 110, 118.7, and 119 AND a second normal Dish 500pointed at 129.

The difference in the regular and "PLUS" dishes are that the PLUS dishes add the necessary equipment to receive signals from 118.7, and i think they are a little bit larger. Confused yet? It's kinda a rough time to sort it out too. Since they are uplinked, but not available, you'd probably never find a CSR that even knows about the CLT HD locals yet, and that might make it difficult to get a Dish 1000 PLUS as part of the install. You might want to email ceo@echostar.com and explain your situation. That is the executive offices of Dish Network, and they are generally very responsive. If you email them, be sure to include a phone number that they can contact you on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts