Cheap Blu-ray Players Due September

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
"No-name brands" is the most critical part of this article.... who the heck wants to go back to an "Apex" player? :rolleyes:

Still, if it forces the big-boys to get competitive, its not a bad thing. Sadly, I doubt it will anytime soon.

BD is missing the boat by not making players inexpensive..

"No-name brands" is the most critical part of this article.... who the heck wants to go back to an "Apex" player? :rolleyes:

Still, if it forces the big-boys to get competitive, its not a bad thing. Sadly, I doubt it will anytime soon.

I wouldn't want an Apex player but if drives down the prices, im for it.

Oh, we're expecting price drops too quickly. They are, after all, in business to make money. The idea that "market share is everything" died with the dot com bust.

But I note the article's use of "could." Doesn't that rhyme with "soon?"

And $499?

I still think we'll see some downward movement by Turkey Day. Maybe by Fourth of July sales, but that's looking less likely.

Maybe $300 by Xmas '08, $200-$250 by Xmas '09.

These things if they ever see the light of day will probably MSRP higher then the PS3. With $499 being price thrown around isn't the title of this thread a little misleading. Is anything over $200 cheap, much less over $500 with tax and/or shipping.

When COBY and APEX start releasing BluRay players the game is over for the big manufacturers. That's a good thing, because that will hasten the demise of DVD for new releases and bring down prices.

Only so long as you can still buy quality units. I hope those two brand names are years off.

When COBY and APEX start releasing BluRay players the game is over for the big manufacturers. That's a good thing, because that will hasten the demise of DVD for new releases and bring down prices.
With Sony dictating the licensing fee and the added expense of making 2.0 players I don’t see cheap players anytime soon. At least no where near what J6P would consider cheap no matter who makes it.
People are more acceptable to pay $200 FOR A BLU RAY Player. I know I would.
By the time a $200 BD player street most people will be accustomed to getting their HD content from alternatives.

Stand alone BD players will be <$300 by Christmas this year and <$200 by Christmas '09. Been saying that for months now and nothing's changed. If that's too expensive for you then don't buy one.

I could build a pretty good marketing plan for keeping BD as the videophile niche format.

BD players play the lesser DVD format. Entry level is the $35 DVD player with no margin. More reasonable but still tight margins on content. Hard to justify spending more than $150 on a standard DVD player. This gives the high volume, low margin market.

BD is the step up. Keep the players in the $400-1000 range. Keep a 50% premium on the software. There are enough people who care to support the higher margins.

The point is that there is nothing else in the immediate future to kill DVD, and you will get the same margins and profits if you bring BD down in price. By keeping it as a niche, you get the best of both worlds; the high volume, low margin DVD and the lower volume, higher margin BD.

Is blu ray hd better than satellite hd?

Yes. Blu-ray has the highest PQ & AQ available to the consumer. When done right. Sometimes, studios take short cuts and compromise. But the medium itself can deliver the goods with much less compression than satellite.

How many? How do you know?
What is the point in creating a video-SACD format?

Diogen.

I base that on two things. First the number of players sold according to posted figures is higher than LD at its peak. Second, LD was a viable format following exactly the same strategy. Players were $300-1200. Disks were $35.

I never saw sacd or dvd-a sell in anywhere near these volumes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)