Cheapest way to get MRV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

McVey

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
I want MRV but Direct want 99+50 for install. Im not trying to spend 150 bucks on it plus the 3 bucks a month. I want to do a self install but need to know what is needed. Im not gonna hard wire all my boxes with cat 5 gotta go deca rout. Any advice cause 150 bucks is absurd

Last edited:
The OP doesn't want to wire for ethernet and he's upset about the DECA cost.

I think you'll find that the DECA parts required might cost more than if DirecTV does it.
Their price will supply all that is needed for as many receivers you have, whereas if you buy the parts it will cost.
And let's not forget that DirecTV probably won't support a self install DECA.

So, I'd go with the Cat5e/6 if cost is the main factor.

There is no need for cat5 or gig router since the dvr are only 100 full speed.

However I would highly suggest to run cat6 over cat5. I ran cat5 a year ago and regret it So spend the extra money and get cat6.

I found a 1000 foot cat5 on craiglists for 20 bucks check that site sometimes people just want to clean out there garage of stuff.

for what its worth my MRV install cost 60 bucks. I just went down to the local retailer where they have a few installers and bought a DECA module/supply and splitter off him. I gave full retail for the DECA which was 59.99 and he just gave me a splitter. Thats not bad considering If I bought it from an online retailer it was 39.99 for the module and and extra 20 for the power supply. Then 10 bucks for the splitter plus shipping. I know you can get it cheaper on ebay if you wait around for one. I am, however going to cancel my MRV. I only have one HD tv and its a small one in my bedroom. It P'd me off that I had to pay for HD just to get the MRV. To me you shouldnt have to pay for HD just to get the MRV. Some people like me really have no need for HD but would love the MRV. That being said my MRV experience is only gonna last about a month then Im gonna call and have them take it back off. If they ever want to come around and let me keep it without the HD access I will, but until then its not worth it. (that is unless my living room tv dies and I upgrade to a nice flat panel).

for what its worth my MRV install cost 60 bucks. I just went down to the local retailer where they have a few installers and bought a DECA module/supply and splitter off him. I gave full retail for the DECA which was 59.99 and he just gave me a splitter. Thats not bad considering If I bought it from an online retailer it was 39.99 for the module and and extra 20 for the power supply. Then 10 bucks for the splitter plus shipping. I know you can get it cheaper on ebay if you wait around for one. I am, however going to cancel my MRV. I only have one HD tv and its a small one in my bedroom. It P'd me off that I had to pay for HD just to get the MRV. To me you shouldnt have to pay for HD just to get the MRV. Some people like me really have no need for HD but would love the MRV. That being said my MRV experience is only gonna last about a month then Im gonna call and have them take it back off. If they ever want to come around and let me keep it without the HD access I will, but until then its not worth it. (that is unless my living room tv dies and I upgrade to a nice flat panel).

Sorry only hd equipment is capable and is a premium function that requires both hd and dvr services to be present. Still cheaper then most other mrv solutions. I dont think the hd fee will be around for ever so that should at least help there.

If you have been with DTV awhile, there is a good chance they will waive at least the $50 installation fee. For me the $100 was well worth it as I currently do not have SWM, so the tech has to head up on my roof (steep and 4 stories up) and then change my multiswitch and hard wire it all into my router. Plus, they are throwing in a new HD receiver to replace my last remaining SD receiver. Can't complain about all that for $100 in my opinion. Of course, I had to extend my commitment but since I have been completely happy with DTV I had no problem at all with that.

Same boat as BigStein. They waved the fifty dollars, gave me a new H24, upgraded my dish to SWiM, Installed DECA on two HD DVRS, and installed the DECA internet connection, all for 100 bucks. Well worth it.

Same boat as BigStein. They waved the fifty dollars, gave me a new H24, upgraded my dish to SWiM, Installed DECA on two HD DVRS, and installed the DECA internet connection, all for 100 bucks. Well worth it.

Almost the same boat as BigStein and wildbill except I paid an extra $99 to upgrade from a SDDVR to the HDDVR. So far the wife and I are very pleased with the MRV features.

Unfortunately (but not really unexpected), the installer had an issue. He showed up on time and all and said it would not be an issue then returned to his truck for a few minutes ....and came back and told me he did not have all the equipment for the upgrade. He said he would do another quick job and return in a couple hours with the equipment. 6 hours later he called back and said he would have to re-schedule. The real issue, I think, is my dish. Located on my roof, which is too steep for most technicians to tackle. I originally had two installers who were unable to do it until I found an antenna company that I had do the job. Cost me a couple of hundred extra but DTV made it right with programming discounts once I told them about it, plus the antenna company guy did a super install, never had an issue with the dish or anything else and the wiring is all top notch. Guess I may have to go this route again for the upgrade....

Unfortunately (but not really unexpected), the installer had an issue. He showed up on time and all and said it would not be an issue then returned to his truck for a few minutes ....and came back and told me he did not have all the equipment for the upgrade. He said he would do another quick job and return in a couple hours with the equipment. 6 hours later he called back and said he would have to re-schedule. The real issue, I think, is my dish. Located on my roof, which is too steep for most technicians to tackle. I originally had two installers who were unable to do it until I found an antenna company that I had do the job. Cost me a couple of hundred extra but DTV made it right with programming discounts once I told them about it, plus the antenna company guy did a super install, never had an issue with the dish or anything else and the wiring is all top notch. Guess I may have to go this route again for the upgrade....

If you have a high roof then you need to make sure to tell us before hand so we can notate it for the installer so they make sure they have a big enough ladder

If you have a high roof then you need to make sure to tell us before hand so we can notate it for the installer so they make sure they have a big enough ladder
I can second that. I live in a 3-story multi-family house and the installer came over and had to run back to his hub to get a larger ladder.

Another stupid question: Just hooking both up to the same router would work as well, right? The main issue is that the router is in the basement (not my decision, it's a campus house) and we only have 2 ports, with one of them connecting to my bedroom DVR. If I could get the campus housing to install another port in my living room, thus going directly to the router, I could bypass needing a switch and a really long wire, right?

I did tell the guy on the phone about the roof. Anyway, the roof is a bit complicated. It is high on the back, about 4 stories, as there is a walk out basement and a dormered attic. The dish sit on the flat on top of the attic dormer. But the front side is only two stories (typical colonial). The antenna guy went up the front and over, so no special ladder needed. Most DTV guys seem to think the front is too steep, though.

Regardless, I did let them know on the phone and if that was the issue with the most recent guy I would much rather he just tell me so instead of making up a story and then not showing back up. I don't mind doing the legwork with the antenna company (they are local, family owned and awesome at what they do) and then working out the money part with DTV (ie. I pay the antenna company and DTV comps some programming to make up the difference), just need straight answers on what the DTV tech. is capable/comfortable doing.

I love the DTV picture, programming and sports, but the communication between their phone reps and the tech. guys seems pretty poor.

Given that DECA adapters are selling for $40 each, it is nearly impossible to do better than $150 for a DECA setup with Internet gateway unless you're connecting only a HD DVR and one other box.

Unless you're anticipating going to 10Gbps Ethernet soon, CAT5E is just fine. 10GbE specifies CAT6A cabling. CAT6 may or may not qualify for 10GbE so I question the wisdom of recommending it over CAT5E; especially in a world where your client devices aren't likely to exceed CAT5E capacity for several years.

This is the old RG59 versus RG6 battle all over again. There are most certainly good and bad incarnations of each and if it weren't for the ampacity requirements, quality RG59 can handle the bandwidth.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts