Checking Signal Strength with BEV 9242

2k1Toaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Hi everyone,

I will be upgrading my dish size to hopefully get better reception on 82 down in the states. So I am trying to find what signal levels I am getting.

When I check signal on 91, it works fine and shows me the number and makes the noise. However when I check 82, I always get 0. UNLESS I change between tuner 1 and tuner 2, then it blips to some value between 45 and 60 says satellite not locked no name, and then back to 0. Now the values of 45-ish sound like what I should be getting for my area based off of other's values about 100km north (50 to 70) and 150km north (60-75). When I switch transponders in the menu and then change the tuner back and forth, I can see the value it reports and it is different for each transponder, and pretty close to the same for the same transponder. So it seems like it is getting information then choosing not to display it. Or it could just be junk from badly written software that spikes it when it switches?

So does the 9242 (Dual tuner HD PVR one), have some funky firmware that only shows the signal strength if it can lock onto the satellite? I read that they changed to 8phase modulation on 82 and my secondary receiver (4100, the el cheapo model) wont be able to pick up the strengths or something like that...

Any help here? Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I will be upgrading my dish size to hopefully get better reception on 82 down in the states. So I am trying to find what signal levels I am getting.

When I check signal on 91, it works fine and shows me the number and makes the noise. However when I check 82, I always get 0. UNLESS I change between tuner 1 and tuner 2, then it blips to some value between 45 and 60 says satellite not locked no name, and then back to 0. Now the values of 45-ish sound like what I should be getting for my area based off of other's values about 100km north (50 to 70) and 150km north (60-75). When I switch transponders in the menu and then change the tuner back and forth, I can see the value it reports and it is different for each transponder, and pretty close to the same for the same transponder. So it seems like it is getting information then choosing not to display it. Or it could just be junk from badly written software that spikes it when it switches?

So does the 9242 (Dual tuner HD PVR one), have some funky firmware that only shows the signal strength if it can lock onto the satellite? I read that they changed to 8phase modulation on 82 and my secondary receiver (4100, the el cheapo model) wont be able to pick up the strengths or something like that...

Any help here? Thanks.

I find that my 9242 will show zero for anything below 41. Also remember with 8PSK you will need 3dB more to get a lock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)