Not open for further replies.

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060213/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cheney_hunting_accident

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Vice President
Dick Cheney accidentally shot and wounded a companion during a weekend quail hunting trip in Texas, spraying the fellow hunter in the face and chest with shotgun pellets.
ADVERTISEMENT

Harry Whittington, a millionaire attorney from Austin, was in stable condition in the intensive care unit of a Corpus Christi hospital Sunday.

"He is stable and doing well. It was almost like he was spending time with me in my living room," said hospital administrator Peter Banko, who visited Whittington.

Wow guess I should read/watch the news more.

C'mon gys it was aan accident. I just hope that Mr. Whittington recoves.

Geez, the guy was reportedly 30 yds away. Hunting quail they were probably using something around 7 shot. I'd be surprised if it was anything more than minor penetration by the pellets.

I've been bird hunting plenty and have swung my shotgun around and crossed a buddy more than once. Never shot but I ripped my buddy a new A**hole for stepping out of line. Our shots are never taken beyond the 10 and 2 o' clock areas ahead of us unless you are at the end of the line. You have to hunt with dogs when you are quail hunting and a good dog will point before kicking up a bird. Whenever the dog points you let your buddies know your are about to take a shot and in what direction. If one of my buddies yelled out and I wasn't sure of their direction I would hit the deck until all was clear. It's simple and I am sure they followed similar tactics. I don't see how Cheney can be at full blame for this mistake.

Bob Haller said:
Just think when Bush gets impeached Cheney will be the man in charge:)
I sure hope not, besides when Clinton was impeached, Gore didn't take over. Just went in the Congressional Record as not much more than a "Verbal Warning".

Al

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/us/bush_administration

Vice President Dick Cheney apparently broke the No. 1 rule of hunting: Be sure of what you're shooting at. He also violated Texas game law by failing to buy a hunting stamp. Cheney wounded fellow hunter Harry Whittington in the face, neck and chest Saturday, apparently because he didn't see Whittington approaching as he fired on a covey of quail in Texas. Hunting safety experts interviewed Monday agreed it would have been a good idea for Whittington to announce himself -- something he apparently didn't do, according to a witness. But they stressed that the shooter is responsible for avoiding other people.

vurbano said:
Reports are he's fine and will be released soon.

Not any time soon-
AP NEWS said:
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The 78-year-old lawyer who was shot by Vice President
Dick Cheney in a hunting accident has some birdshot lodged in his heart and he had a "minor heart attack," a hospital official said Tuesday.

Peter Banko, the hospital administrator at Christus Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi-Memorial, said Harry Whittington had the heart attack early Tuesday while being evaluated.

He said there was an irregularity in the heartbeat caused by a birdshot pellet, and doctors performed a cardiac catheterization. Whittington expressed a desire to leave the hospital, but Banko said he would probably stay for another week.

Whittington, a prominent Republican attorney from Austin, was accidentally sprayed with shotgun pellets when Cheney was aiming for a quail Saturday.

Whittington had initially been placed in intensive care. He had been moved to a "step-down unit" Monday after doctors decided to leave several birdshot pellets lodged in his skin rather than try to remove them.

A Texas Parks and Wildlife Department report said Whittington was retrieving a downed bird and stepped out of the hunting line he was sharing with Cheney. "Another covey was flushed and Cheney swung on a bird and fired, striking Whittington in the face, neck and chest at approximately 30 yards," the report said.

The wildlife department issued a report Monday that found the main factor contributing to the accident was a "hunter's judgment factor." No other secondary factors were found to have played a role.

That must of been one of the strongest shotguns in the world to get into his heart like that.
30 yards=90 feet

The Tate said:

Vice President Dick Cheney apparently broke the No. 1 rule of hunting: Be sure of what you're shooting at. He also violated Texas game law by failing to buy a hunting stamp. Cheney wounded fellow hunter Harry Whittington in the face, neck and chest Saturday, apparently because he didn't see Whittington approaching as he fired on a covey of quail in Texas. Hunting safety experts interviewed Monday agreed it would have been a good idea for Whittington to announce himself -- something he apparently didn't do, according to a witness. But they stressed that the shooter is responsible for avoiding other people.

there was a game warden from texas on fox who stated he didnt need a hunting liscense to hunt with bird shot on a private ranch.

The Tate said:

LETs tell the whole story, its a new law, and the white house even called and made sure that he had everything he needed, according to the Texas hunting whatever he was fine, but then when it happened the said you need a stamp to hunt, lets give the whole story, not just what makes him look bad!

Anybody have the details on this "ranch" site they were hunting on? Only heard this from one source, but it sounds like the "hunters" get out of their cars, line up, someone releases quail from pens in the brush and then they open fire. Wow. That's manly. Whittington probably was returning from getting a drink from the full bar Airstream trailer just behind their limo caravan. Ah, the 'wilderness'.

I feel do indeed feel bad for Whittington (esp. now that his condition was complicated by a minor heart attack)...but what a metaphor for elite Chicken Hawk syndrome if there ever was one. In love with violent thrill-seeking and macho power-trips, but never quite ready to get their hands truly dirty.

Last edited:
stuart628 said:
LETs tell the whole story, its a new law, and the white house even called and made sure that he had everything he needed, according to the Texas hunting whatever he was fine, but then when it happened the said you need a stamp to hunt, lets give the whole story, not just what makes him look bad!

Yeah we would hate to put a Republican spin on it.:D

I do agree though, there is a lot of nitpicking going on about the hunting stamp. Either way, it won't make him look any worse since he .... SHOT SOMEBODY...:devil:

I do realize he shot someone, but from everything i heard this guy did something to get in the line of fire, which he wasnt suppose to do (also at the same time Mr.Cheney should have been aware of everyones position, I am a hunter, I know the rules) accidents happen, its just unfortunate, I feel bad, especially because we as a society will know rip apart mr.Cheney and in turn make ourselves look like fools in front of the world. but oh well life goes on I hope the guy recovers okay, and my view points are in no way trying to start a political war.

stuart628 said:
I do realize he shot someone, but from everything i heard this guy did something to get in the line of fire, which he wasnt suppose to do (also at the same time Mr.Cheney should have been aware of everyones position, I am a hunter, I know the rules) accidents happen, its just unfortunate, I feel bad, especially because we as a society will know rip apart mr.Cheney and in turn make ourselves look like fools in front of the world. but oh well life goes on I hope the guy recovers okay, and my view points are in no way trying to start a political war.

Completely agree, but its really hard for me not to enjoy Cheney getting a taste of negativity toward what is probably a complete accident where he is not at fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)