CHFD CTV Thunder Bay losing CTV affiliation??

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Looks like CHFD (CTV/Global) in Thunder Bay is asking the CRTC to drop CTV due to a dispute

Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2010-5

Application by Thunder Bay Electronics Limited to amend the broadcasting licence for the television programming undertaking CHFD-TV Thunder Bay, Ontario.

The licensee proposes to delete the condition of licence relating to its affiliation with CTV Television Inc. which reads as follows:

The licensee shall operate this undertaking as an affiliate of the television network operated by CTV Television Inc.

The applicant states that it has been unable to negotiate a new program supply agreement with CTV Television Inc.

The applicant noted that CHFD-TV would operate as an independent local station and intends to source its non-local programming from Canwest Global.

interesting....for the uninformed CHFD shows programs from CTV, Global and City. They pick and choose. When there is a conflict (where I guess 2 good shows are on at same time) they move one to the CBC station. SO maybe CTV said they needed to run the whole schedule or at least most of it. I know on weekends they run very little CTV programming

It's always been a struggle for good television in Thunder Bay, CHFD and CKPR are both notoriously poor for switching into programs a few minutes late, and lousy picture and sound quality.

If anything, hopefully this makes one station more desirable for sale, there are many rumors circulating that Dougall is trying to divest and it would be amazing to see some competition, hopefully then quality would improve across the board.

I know they (CHFD) said if the CRTC approved it they would dump CTV after the olympics

havent found any approval or whatnot at the crtc site

As I live in Thunder Bay, as camweb said... yeah... local tv here is pretty crappy at best. Rumor is that the local CBC here, which is owned by the same guy who owns the Global/former CTV here, is rumored to be going independent. I have some local news articles about this... maybe ill post them

As I live in Thunder Bay, as camweb said... yeah... local tv here is pretty crappy at best. Rumor is that the local CBC here, which is owned by the same guy who owns the Global/former CTV here, is rumored to be going independent. I have some local news articles about this... maybe ill post them

here is the CRTC notice (item #2)

Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2010-128

and local articles

Chronicle Journal - Stories -

CKPR-TV seeks licence adjustment - Tbnewswatch.com

Dougall owns dang near everything in TB ;)

both TV stations
3 radio stations
a newspaper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)