*Choice signal strength

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

seavu

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
I recently set up my 75e StarChoice dish [Florida, Tampa Bay] and I am wondering the correct sequence re peaking best signal strength. Locked on to satellite doing azimuth then elevation then skew...{average 70%} and would like to go higher %....is that the sequence to go for peak reception? Does skew come last in the fine tuning? or does it matter? thanks in advance.....

skew should be the first thing

pick channel 284 or 299 and then go options 6-0-5 right arrow to diagnostic c
in the right corner is a + - number
peak using that
+5 is minimum
+7.5 is good
+10 is awesome :)

Most channels should be between +9 and +10 in that menu

Many thanks Iceberg, as always you are a great help. Will check things out and let you know how I did...meanwhile it is Hockey Day in Canada today...so have to rush to the TV...thanks again.

Iceberg...I have the 315 and 205 two room receiver set up. The info you gave me re signal is for the HD? On my remote under OPTIONS I... use the 6-3-1 steps for signal....I don't have the 6-0-5. Is 299 the channel to start with? Is it the weakest transponder?? my 3rd question..is the skew for the *Choice 60e dish the same as for the 75e dish at same location?? thanks again...

yes the skew is the same for both

If the receiver is a virgin (hasn't had the signal from SC in it), you have to use 284
otherwise use 299

options 6-0-5 works...the 0 is a hidden menu :)
I have the exact same setup (315 & 205) and thats how I aim them

you may have to type the 6-0-5 slowly.. I had that issue with my receivers.. typing it too fast and missing the menus.

I have been having a heck of a time here in the NW with *C. I just purchased a 75E dish to replace my 60E that didn't have an elevation and skew bracket.

Aiming my dish using my 315, the best signal using 6-3-1 screen is 16. I checked the diagnostics (C) and it's -3.0.

I've started out at 140 degrees magnetic (I'm near Seattle), Skew is set at 80, 33 on the elevation.

Frustration part of it is, I have DishNetwork and it's a snap to tune in...

Your True Az is around 161 degrees.

FSS ku beams are very narrow as compared to DBS. I assume that your receiver is showing either ch 284 or 299

When you move the dish, you need to wait about 10 seconds for the reading to update. After you have got a signal, only very small moves are necessary to fine tune.

After you have acquired F1R (signal on 299); get the unit authorized. Go to ch 298 and adjust (1 at a time) AZ/EL/Skew to maximize F2 signal. Then go back to 299 to ensure that F1R is maxed.

If you have a DirecTV ellitiptical in the neighborhood, you will see correct EL and Skew. AZ for SC (111.1) is just 1.1 degree to the right of DirecTV (110.0)

Well that worked out great, Thanks a lot. I actually tuned my DishNet to the 110, and lined bothe dishes up. I was about 8 degrees off on my elevation. It called for 30.6 I cranked it up to 38 and it hit. I'm getting great numbers.

It's raining like hell here, and I'm shooting between cedar trees - so I'm thinking the 75E was a good way to go.

Thanks again, great common sense way aim the bugger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts