Choices....

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Thinking about pulling the trigger on getting 3D, just weighing the options...
I want at least a 73" screen which eliminates all but DLP & FPTV... been eyeballing the threads at AVS on the Acer 720p projector combined with nvidia and Htpc, or the Late 2010 model or the 2011 Mitsubishi DLP's. (there are other options with the Acer)

At that size, I'd think you'd see a big difference between 720 & 1080.

My 61" is 720, and I love the size, but I'm beginning to miss the PQ on my 52" 1080.

Yeap. You do notice the difference in resolution at larger sizes. DLPs with checkerboard offer a nice picture even at half resolution (960X1080). Might wait for someone to come out with a less expensive FP. I'm sure Epson,BenQ, Panasonic, etc. won't be too far behind.

S~

Got the Sony VW90ES mounted this afternoon and the setup went well. I'm very pleased the image is not too dark and can be adjusted to balance between 3D brightness level and 2D. The image is just phenomenal. I'm very pleased with the result on my Matte 1.0 screen as it has absolutely no hot spotting I see on all gain screens.

Had to run out to Best buy and pick up a 3D movie to watch tonight. Got Last Airbender and some Owl animation my wife wanted. She actually came home early from work to see this. She said she couldn't wait and was thinking about it all day.

Don- the JVC and the Sharp will be your < $5K projectors. The Sharp has some limitations but the JVC is pretty good.

I go by actual width which is 92" but it supports full 92" wide on 4x3 which is 120" diagonal. The Sony is the first projector I've had in awhile that actually supports the full screen size for this rarely used aspect ratio.

The Sony allows me to preset various screen configurations for each program source and also color space in memory. So, when I switch to a 4x3 AR program source the trigger can switch the screen motor to open it up if I want. Most of the time I keep it in 1.78 and 2.35 AR for movies and HD TV channels. The screen also has side and top and bottom black masks. This is something I designed and built from a standard Da-Lite roll up screen. Da-Lite makes a mask system that works with the Sony Projector Trigger ( so they said) but I priced it and it is expensive. MY screen is rather old now ( about 13 years) It has started to curl at the sides. Time to be thinking about a repair / replacement. BY the way 3D looked last night, I'll probably stick to a 1.0 Matte. I really don't like the hot spot from the high gain screens. Another thing, many people are seeing ghosts on the 3D using high power screens. I can't see any ghosts at all. Another advantage of 1.0 Matte white screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts