• no

Votes: 24 54.5%

Votes: 14 31.8%

• Total voters

gatekeeper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 17, 2005

Alot of us know that Dish recently launched a new satellite.

Was just wondering if we may get a christmas present this year from Dish?

There are still quite a few HD channels out there that Dish needs to carry.

Ok , yes I know I sound like someone we all know on hear talking about new hd channels?(Lol).

Competition is really going to start to commencing I believe.

With some cable providers merging, the existence of SLING.
The Direct -tv Now coming as well.

I know Dish FLEX PACKS may have helped them somewhat.
Just dont see a real benefit from those packs personally.
We must have the DVR function in our family too.
By the time you pay fees, dvr, receiver fees there is not much savings or difference to me.

I am still trying to hang in there with Dish. Ive been with them almost 14+ years now.
Keep receiving great offers though on cable bundled packages.

Maybe Dish has something BIG in store on the horizon.

What makes the Flex packs work for me is the occasional channel I want to watch I can add and remove when needed. Everything is prorated.

Reactions: pattykay and Tampa8
hello my friends i would like to throw my two cents here what dish needs to do is to finish adding the rest of our channels in hd in our lineup.There a bunch of channels that have hd feeds.dish should start adding 4k channels with so many people buying ultra 4k tvs starting from black friday until christmas.You ought to think that dish does have enough space to start adding 4k channels.look at all the 4k channels that are on SES satellite right now.ATSC over the air coming the next couple of years.luckly the transition 3.0 is still volutary and not mandatory yet. you will eventually see all the locals channels switch to 3.0 and broadcasting in ultra 4k.Trust me when i saw the olympics in 4k the picture was pretty darn good.
Allen :)

Reactions: Johnd73046@aol.com
More/better content first, transmission quality second, less channels. I agree.

They should migrate every thing from 72 and move it to 61.5 (HDs That Is) and make room on 72 for 4k and better contant. Remove the SD duplicate on 61.5
They should ignore 4K and stick with providing better HD quality that we are already paying for.

Dish shouldn't be required to make early adopters happy with their insensible electronics purchases.

They should ignore 4K and stick with providing better HD quality that we are already paying for.

Dish shouldn't be required to make early adopters happy with their insensible electronics purchases.
well then tell all the folks who are buying 4ktvs and expect to see 4k on their televisions.

First, to use a new satellite to increase the bandwidth, you'd need to change out all the dishes. If you're looking at 110, 119, and 129 currently and Dish adds a sat at 120, you can't see it. It doesn't matter how many transponders they add.

As far as what I think Dish should do is eliminate all SD channels that are also carried in HD. Give everyone an HD receiver and set the receiver to output in SD for those with SD sets. How much bandwidth will that save?

Allen, if someone buys a 4k tv thinking there's a bunch of 4k content out there, they haven't done their research. And yes, while ATSC 3.0 is getting closer to a reality, it's going to be 5 years at least before it is widespread (75%+ of signals). Just my opinion.

First, to use a new satellite to increase the bandwidth, you'd need to change out all the dishes. If you're looking at 110, 119, and 129 currently and Dish adds a sat at 120, you can't see it. It doesn't matter how many transponders they add.

As far as what I think Dish should do is eliminate all SD channels that are also carried in HD. Give everyone an HD receiver and set the receiver to output in SD for those with SD sets. How much bandwidth will that save?

Allen, if someone buys a 4k tv thinking there's a bunch of 4k content out there, they haven't done their research. And yes, while ATSC 3.0 is getting closer to a reality, it's going to be 5 years at least before it is widespread (75%+ of signals). Just my opinion.
well sam i was watching on youtube a forum where some of the big broadcasting networks no its not abc,cbs and those guys where they are talking getting ATSC 3.0 in the year or two to all of their tv stations like Nexstar ETC.

Reactions: Johnd73046@aol.com
well sam i was watching on youtube a forum where some of the big broadcasting networks no its not abc,cbs and those guys where they are talking getting ATSC 3.0 in the year or two to all of their tv stations like Nexstar ETC.
The ATSC 3.0 standard hasn't even been settled yet. There is no way that broadcasters are going to be installing ATSC 3.0 equipment BEFORE a standard is set. The proposed ATSC 3.0 is undergoing some limited testing right now.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/nab-wjw-take-3-0-out-to-the-ballgame.364827/

well then tell all the folks who are buying 4ktvs and expect to see 4k on their televisions.
People who don't know 4K programming is scarce and long down the road should not be buying a 4K in the first place if they assume otherwise.

Trust me, 90% of buyers get home and connect their new 4K TVs to their 1080i cable or satellite box and are tickled pink. Go hang out at Walmart, Best Buy, etc and see how many people with 4K TVs in their cart also have a 4K-capable device such as a UHD player. I can tell you - none ! Even if they have Netflix, for example, they aren't paying for, nor do they even know, that there's a separate UHD category they need to subscribe to.

I have seen far too many HDTVs connected to SD cable or satellite boxes, put in stretcho-mode, and most thought everything was A-OK.

I hooked up a guy with an HDTV connected by coax. Put in one of my HDMI cables and he was amazed. But couldn't understand why it was better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts