" Christmas Present" ??

"New Hd in 2016?

• yes

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • no

Votes: 24 54.5%

Votes: 14 31.8%

• Total voters
well sam i was watching on youtube a forum where some of the big broadcasting networks no its not abc,cbs and those guys where they are talking getting ATSC 3.0 in the year or two to all of their tv stations like Nexstar ETC.
As mentioned, ATSC 3.0 isn't settled yet. They're still testing. Add that to the potential (probable?) repack of OTA frequencies and the lack of 4k source material, and you're looking at well more than 2 years until it's a widespread solution. WRAL is broadcasting a ATSC 3.0 4k signal, but they are a test bed. Yes, you might have a handful of stations broadcasting using ATSC 3.0 soon, but it will be a while before it's widespread.

For all you folks who think ATSC 3 is just around the corner, go back and look at how long it took to go to ATSC. HDTV was first looked into by the FCC in the late 1980s. First testing was in 1996. The first commercial broadcasts were in 1998 and it took another 10 years for the conversion to full digital to take place and then only after the govt backed converter boxes were made available. That's 20 years folks so if you think they're going to just whip right around the corner and change it again lickety-split, don't hold your breath.

First they need to settle on a standard. Then commercial tuners need to be perfected. Then mfgs need to start making ATSC 3 TVs. Then they need to start selling them. Then there needs to be significant market penetration before it becomes feasable to even consider a conversion and even at that they are going to have to once again devise a converter box and make it available to the public. Until there are commercial ATSC 3.0 TV's on the market I would not waste my time even thinking about ATSC 3.0.

dish should start adding 4k channels with so many people buying ultra 4k tvs starting from black friday until christmas.You ought to think that dish does have enough space to start adding 4k channels.

I have answered this before, how can Dish add something that does not exists, there are not one ota broadcast or cable channel that is offering a 4K version of their channel or any rumors of about to offer such, the only stuff that is out is demo, PPV, very, very limited sports or the channel that D* produces which seems to be a lot of reruns.

The future of 4K is online, tons of shows ( new and old) and movies on Netflix, Vudu and Amazon already.

The next step will be channels offering a 4K app ( I am thinking ESPN first, WATCH ESPN 4K) on a Roku type device because it is just easier to do.

I know everyone cannot get a fast enough connection, but the vast majority of the population can and that is were the money goes.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I am not buying a 4k set until my 63 inch plasma goes out, which I hope is many years away. MY picture is good enough. We do not need more HD channels, we need lower prices.

Reactions: dare2be
I am not buying a 4k set until my 63 inch plasma goes out, which I hope is many years away. MY picture is good enough. We do not need more HD channels, we need lower prices.
I would add better HD resolution to this. Enough with the HDLite. Up the resolution to 1920X1080 and blow DTV out of the water hardware and PQ wise.

I suppose the best thing about 4K tv's is that they help depress the price of 1080p tv's.
Exactly. I will never, nor can I really afford to be, on the bleeding edge with this stuff. I don't foresee a 4K TV in our future anytime soon, at least not voluntarily. Hell, I don't like the fact that I'll have to replace our TV 'stand' in the living room since we'll likely get a (slightly) bigger TV when that time comes. We have a 50" 1080P and the stand is the type with a mounting 'cross' shape (allows turning the TV and raising it up/down) only holds a 50" maximum.

I would add better HD resolution to this. Enough with the HDLite. Up the resolution to 1920X1080 and blow DTV out of the water hardware and PQ wise.

Didn't someone report here that Dish has improved their MPEG-4 and is moving to 1920?

I haven't read that but certainly could have missed it. What kind of equipment is needed to figure this out ? Not that I have it (I certainly don't) or am going to get it, of course !

I now on a 4K set and Satellite up converted looks absolutely amazing. All I wanted 4K for was the UHD-BD. I personally have no interest in streaming 4K or watching live 4K channels. HD looks great up converted.

I now on a 4K set and Satellite up converted looks absolutely amazing. All I wanted 4K for was the UHD-BD. I personally have no interest in streaming 4K or watching live 4K channels. HD looks great up converted.

I got my 4K tv up and running Tuesday morning. I finally got to see what my hopper 3 could do in upscaled 4K. I agree , HD over my 4K tv looks great. I couldn't see any flaws or artifacts in the picture. The HDR in my tv makes the colors pop. I am very happy with my tv now.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I got my 4K tv up and running Tuesday morning. I finally got to see what my hopper 3 could do in upscaled 4K. I agree , HD over my 4K tv looks great. I couldn't see any flaws or artifacts in the picture. The HDR in my tv makes the colors pop. I am very happy with my tv now.

Which TV did you get Mike?

Glad you like your new TV. I have bought 2 4Ks in the last 6 weeks, one HDR, the other non. To me, HDR colors do POP as you say, but it is far from realistic. I switch to it only on occasion.

Glad you like your new TV. I have bought 2 4Ks in the last 6 weeks, one HDR, the other non. To me, HDR colors do POP as you say, but it is far from realistic. I switch to it only on occasion.
I'll ask you the same question KAB, Which HDR TV did you buy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)