Classical Pops

jackdemcak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 6, 2009
Rancho Palos Verdes
Is anyone upset that Classical Pops (Ch 75) has been merged with Symphony (Ch 76) thus reducing the previously meager number of instrumental classical music channels to one?

I might have been, but tired of the lack of diversity. I now have an AV Receiver that connects on line to stream stations ... never going back to the Dish / XM / Directv audio stations. I know that may not be what you'd like to hear, just saying there are alternatives, and most online ones through Shoutcast are superior.

I love classical music. For home listening, I did what TG2 suggested and now listen to internet streaming stations.

I do a lot of driving in remote areas, out of range of stations that broadcast classical music. SiriusXM gave me two channels to choose from. Now, with only one channel, SiriusXM is no longer a good value for the money. I am now looking for an internet receiver I can use when I am on the road. The AudioVox media bridge looks like a good candidate. Does anyone have experience with this device?

Jack of answers here.. ;) what cellular provider do you have, and do they charge you exorbitantly for data use? Especially if in good coverage areas ?? Winamp! 5-bucks purchase on Google Play (if they still have it) and the internet through the phone work for this too!!

My newer car has both Bluetooth and Aux Plugin options. Bluetooth is so so, but means I must also have my cell phone plugged into charger (damned electrical vampiristic bluetooth). I will probably be getting another USB cable soon, and will either heat-shrink wrap or coil (plastic cable manager) the 6 foot audio cable and the USB power cable together as in my console/box the ports are right next to each other.

Anyway ... Winamp for android, I've never used iphones but presuming they have their itunes mobile or some other such app that should allow you to stream through the iphone's data plan.

Another option on cell phones is Spotify. 9 bucks a month though .. same for other pay as you go services (slacker, google play audio, pandora, etc) and wouldn't recommend getting one if all you're doing is getting it for the car ... 'cause in those cases, you could also just get a cheap mp3 player, and randomize all the albums you already have.

Sprint is offering that deal with Spotify ... and others have options as a monthly "add on" as if paying for it through the cellular company is anything special like you couldn't have it without them (though they generally give you unlimited bandwidth for *that* app) if you're not a cell phone glutton (more saying that for anyone else reading this) then any decent 2 gig or unlimited till X and then throttled plan, is just as good..

Personally I'm on Virgin-Mobile. 35 bucks a month, unlimited text & data, 300 minutes for phone calls. They have a 1200 minute plan for 45, and 60 is unlimited.. all are on the Sprint Network mobile backbone. Tmobile has one also, think its 40 unlimited, any option other than being in a monthly love hate relationship with the likes of Verizon or AT&T. And I live in the hills of Virginia, with a 1 hour (no traffic) commute, only in two spots along that route have I had consistent audio drop outs due to stream failure :)

Anyway.. for connecteds ... there's tons of tune options.. :)

PS. Good (though some are higher bandwidth use) classical streams... "Classical 102" ' Venice Classic Radio, 1.fm All Otto's Classical, along with 1.fm's Otto's Opera, and Otto's Baroque Music.
http://www.classical102.com/
http://www.1.fm/
http://www.veniceclassicradio.eu/

And if you're into an eclectic mix every once in a while (ie non-classical music), I can't recommend RadioParadise.com strongly enough. And every once in a while Bill (Bill Goldsmith proprietor and full time music programmer) does play a piece of classical, sometimes by an alternatively known artist, and sometimes, rock pieces that have been turned into classical works simply because the guitars and amps have been replaced by cello, violin, and piano .... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)