Cleaning up and mounting a BUD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Make sure you use RG-6 Coax in your system. Also it would be best if you use shielded cables for the sensor wires, that are isolated from your motor wires, that should at least be 16 gauge, 14 gauge won't hurt.
This is what I use if you can still locate some:
cable2.gif
5-jpg.90235

You will not need the wires labeled "P" above, but good to have in case you ever go with a polar rotor set-up. It doesn't show in the pics above but the sensor wires have a shield around them to isolate from the motor wires.

Appreciate the help, I know some about wiring, mostly household electrical.. But I'm lost on the polorrotor motor and motorpower/position sensor that Static is speaking of (sorry for all the newb questions, now I know why Ice said do KU first)

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using the SatelliteGuys app!

You will need proper cabling. I suggest using "ribbon cable" for C-Band dishes. It has two RG6 runs, a three wire run for the polarrotor motor and a Motorpower/position sensor run which is shielded. Make sure to use shielded wire for the position sensor.
Who even carries Ribbon Cable this day in time?...No need at all for Ribbon Cable if can even be found!..If Brandon is going to dedicate the dish to Cband only then a good quality rg6 is all that is needed.Dont skimp on the rg6 and the compression fittings..I like Beldon fittings with the Orings.

If going Cband only then nothing performs better than a Chaparral Ortho with a good set of lnb`s..

Reactions: Brandon Currin
Hey KE4ST do you sell all that I need from your store?

No I have not found another source for that wire lately. I used to sell it, but hard to come by. I am not even sure if they make it anymore. I was just saying if you can find some.
If you go with a LNBF(all in one unit, like Titanium C1-PLL) you will not need the wires for a polarotor anyway.
You can get shielded cable for the control and motor at the big box stores like HomeDepot and Lowe's.

Lol well I love the help and "expert" advice, (joking) but if you could give me a full list of what's needed and best place to buy them ( this is your opportunity to shamelessly plug your business) just so I can get a sense of what it'll cost me, lol then you guys can dump the knowledge of the dish.... I honestly haven't had this much fun on a new hobby since I started making walking staff a and wood burning

Welcome Brandon Currin.

The best advice is to do a complete site survey so you are sure that the dish will have unobstructed line of sight to the most (or target) satellites. The sun is in perfect alignment with the arc of satellites in the next few weeks, so it is the perfect time to use it and the shadows to verify the best location to place the dish! If you have a smart phone, apps such as Dishponter will overlay the satellite positions over the camera, so you can "see" were each satellite is in the sky.

If the dish came with an actuator motor, open the cover and check the arm for corrosion. If corroded or rusted, steel wool and lube then test for movement with a 12v battery. If it works, great! No actuator purchase is needed! If you need an actuator, I recommend the Venture 36" maxi. It costs more, but it will last!

Receiver- your choice of a 9000i is a good one that has great reviews.

LNBF- The C1-PLL has excellent reviews and has great performance.

Controller- The ASC1 is very popular and extremely well constructed. A good choice and I am sure you would be very happy with it.

RG-6 quad shield coax cable with compression connectors. The connectors, strip tool and compression tool are available at Home Depot or online.

Sensor wire- 2 wires plus shield, 18-22 gauge stranded. Available at Home Depot, marketed as alarm wire.

3.5" (typical size, but verify for your mount) schedule 40 pole- 8-10' for mounting dish. Drill a hole and attach a bolt (or weld a length of rebar) near the bottom of the pole to prevent it from rotating in the cement.

10+ 80lb bags of cement. Dig a bell shaped hole that is deeper than the frost line.

Ground rod-optional- driven beside the dish.

Heavy gauge wire to bond the dish pole to optional ground rod and bond it back to the utility ground rod at your house.

A small TV to place beside the dish for viewing the signal meter to simply the aiming process.

A pitcher of your favorite drink to reward yourself during each step of the install!

Sorry for sounding mean or ungrateful for asking/demanding a list of equipment from everyone..... But it's just I'm a completionist, and I gotta have everything up front before I can move forward, sadly they haven't been able to make any pills to help... But I truly genuinely appreciate everything everyone has done

If I were going to start from scratch.
Go here and get a Linkbox 9000i receiver. They also have an eBay store.
Go here and get an Titianium ASC1 and Titianium C1-PLL or here if you prefer eBay.(Here is the shameless plug you wanted :) )
I would go to your favorite home improvement store and get some good quad shield RG-6 coax, some compression connectors, compression tool and coax strippers.
While you are there grab some shielded cable for the sensor and wire for the motor. Make sure to grab some extra connectors, because if you have never done it, you will mess up a few until you get it right.
That is basically all you will need to get started. Once you get your dish cleaned up and mounted, you can take the actuator apart and clean up that came with it.
If it is beyond repair, go here and grab a new one. Don't get the mini. The ball screw will out last us all, but costs a little more, I am not sure what your budget is.
I hope this list helps.

Please only use cat6 with shield (will have a bare drain wire). Shielded cable is a best practice and duplicating the ribbon cables industry standard used for the past 35 years.

Most standard cat6 cable does not have a shield and only three twisted pairs. An unshielded cable is basically a receive antenna for unwanted interference. Yes, some lucky folks get away without shield, but for a few more cents a foot, why cheap out and risk problems?

View attachment 120712

Reactions: KE4EST
Appreciate it, as for budget it'll be whatever it takes to get everything.. I'll save before I buy anything, cause I hate doing things in increments lol.... I've used CAT5 for networking, bit never thought of using it like Titanium said KE4ST, the actuator that was on the dish I have now, looked like vandals beat the hell out of it, wires are gone and the housing is destroyed, so I figured it was bad, I scrapped it same with the LNB that was on it.....

Please only use cat6 with shield (will have a bare drain wire). Shielded cable is a best practice and duplicating the ribbon cables industry standard used for the past 35 years.

Most standard cat6 cable does not have a shield and only three twisted pairs. An unshielded cable is basically a receive antenna for unwanted interference. Yes, some lucky folks get away without shield, but for a few more cents a foot, why cheap out and risk problems?

View attachment 120712
Is the CAT6 for the sensor and motors) like what KE4ST mentioned?

Is the wiring pretty simple to do for all this, I have basic wiring experience? Coax is a walk in the park, granted I never used compression connectors, just the screw on pieces, do I need female connectors or male? Cause my only store, Lowe's only carries female brass compression fittings

s the CAT6 for the sensor and motors) like what KE4ST mentioned?
The CAT6 with shield is for the sensor wires. Use another pair of larger gauge wires for the motor.
As far as hooking it all up, yes, it is very simple and straightforward.

Reactions: Brandon Currin
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts