CNN and HLN gone/ Dish-Turner Dispute - Now Back 11/21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
CNN a pawn in Dish Network-Turner battle
Oct 22 2014, 11:39 ET | By: Clark Schultz, SA News Editor

Though a quick resolution is expected by analysts watching the dispute between Dish Network (DISH +1.1%) and Time Warner (TWX +1.1%) which has left 8 Turner Broadcasting channels dark on Dish, a lasting impact could be felt.
Dish's willingness to lop off CNN, while keeping TNT and TBS alive on its programming, cuts away at the news network's must-have status.
CNN has temporarily been replaced on Dish's channel #200 by a MSNBC feed.
What to watch: Negotiations are hovering over carriage fees for older content (Seinfeld, Friends) that Dish maintains is easily available from other sources and smaller non-core networks which Turner tries to bundle. Some media analysts think Dish will win concessions.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2048855-cnn-a-pawn-in-dish-network-turner-battle#email_link

It would be funny if TBS and TNT would get pulled off from Dish...especially when NBA season is about to start...it would be a big blow to Dish if they can't resolve this quickly.

It would be funny if TBS and TNT would get pulled off from Dish...especially when NBA season is about to start...it would be a big blow to Dish if they can't resolve this quickly.

Nah, over a season virtually all games are on local RSN's those few over a dispute time wouldn't make a difference. Playoff would. Dish just dropped the Celtics games and virtually no one who got that RSN really cares. Try that with the Red Sox or Patriots. (Or even Bruins)

The Canadian event underscores the problem Turner faces at least with CNN and HLN. If someone with DISH turned to CNN to see this news event, the worst is they watch on MSNBC or FOX. The fact CNN isn't available hurts CNN, not DISH or it's customers. Maybe if CNN was gone for good DISH maybe would lose some subscribers though I question how much. (I actually do watch CNN at times so it isn't that I won't watch them)

The Canadian event underscores the problem Turner faces at least with CNN and HLN. If someone with DISH turned to CNN to see this news event, the worst is they watch on MSNBC or FOX. The fact CNN isn't available hurts CNN, not DISH or it's customers. Maybe if CNN was gone for good DISH maybe would lose some subscribers though I question how much. (I actually do watch CNN at times so it isn't that I won't watch them)

The Pew survey was conducted March 19-April 29.

The five major news networks top the trust spectrum, with 54 percent of respondents saying they trust CNN, 50 percent saying they trust ABC and NBC, 46 percent saying they trust CBS and 44 percent saying they trust Fox News.

Forty-four percent of respondents say they get their news from CNN.

The Pew survey was conducted March 19-April 29.

The five major news networks top the trust spectrum, with 54 percent of respondents saying they trust CNN, 50 percent saying they trust ABC and NBC, 46 percent saying they trust CBS and 44 percent saying they trust Fox News.

Forty-four percent of respondents say they get their news from CNN.

And??? If you are inferring people won't watch FOX or MSNBC if CNN is not available that would be grossly incorrect. Further, trust, not trust means nothing, it's what people actually do that matters. Not a political statement, but facts are FOX is overwhelmingly watched over CNN (Or MSNBC) and during events especially so. FOX was the most watched basic cable network last quarter - not just news network. And while they are over 1 1/2 million during primetime CNN struggles with trying to get over 400, 000. My florida County has more than 400,00 people.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/q3-2014-ratings-fox-news-is-most-watched-cable-network_b240618

My point is I stand by post. People who are not already going to FOX and clearly most are, will not care much right now if CNN is not available, they have at least two other choices. It's why CNN/HLN is having so many layoffs. Turner needs to get back on DISH to get what precious few viewers they have back to watching CNN.

More political ramblings removed.

Please keep the topic on the removal of the channels, not where the channels (and your personal) politics lie. :)

Remember we do have The Pit forum here if you want to talk politics.

I guess you haven't turned on a radio or TV since this thing started a few hours ago.
I'm well aware of what's going on. I also have been known to watch BBC News, Al Jazeera, and others. My point was, the incident you're referring to is in Canada, not the US. Most Americans know nothing about Canada other than it's cold up there, they get a lot of snow, and they like hockey.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts