CNN Mux on 87 West

I noticed that too. With clouds here in N. California I lost signal. Being a dvb-s signal it is always reliable.

Yes, the SQ on the CNN mux seems to have been reduced significantly over the previous year. Used to be you could pick it up with an old Directv or DN dish. Not so anymore. My guess would be that they don't need to pay as much for a strong signal anymore as more and more of their clients switch to streaming.

Just moved my 1 meter from GAL 17 TO SES 2.. Use to get close to 25 db C/N. Now as of yesterday only getting 21.2 db C/N. Quality went down from 25.5 to 21.2db. Yes significant
drop would like to find out y. LPB quality around 95-98 very strong but then again it is DVB S2. But carrier still strong enough for 1 meter receive.

Quality scale was always 91 now only 87. Wonder how long before CNN disappears from satellite.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Quality scale was always 91 now only 87. Wonder how long before CNN disappears from satellite.

Not sure there's been any announcement, but NBC vacated its 12 feeds from 103 recently, and ABC vacated theirs from 91 last month. I believe kofi123 said CBS Newspath will be leaving 99 eventually as well. So, if CNN follows suit, it could be this year or next. Fortunately, you can access most of these feeds for free on the internet.

Last edited:
Not sure there's been any announcement, but NBC vacated it's 12 feeds from 103 recently, and ABC vacated theirs from 91 last month. I believe kofi123 said CBS Newspath will be leaving 99 eventually as well. So, if CNN follows suit, it could be this year or next. Fortunately, you can access most of these feeds for free on the internet.
Yes I work for ABC ... News Live 4 channel mux has switched to TVU Grid technology to affiliates only. I am surrounded by tons of feeds daily. TVU or sat downlink. I do notice CNN uses SES 3 & SES 2 vertical time to time. ABC and some CBS NBC uses GAL 17 VERTICAL also.
Some reason CNN uses low power and their symbol rate of 4.250 is sometimes impossible to receive.

Yes I work for ABC ... News Live 4 channel mux has switched to TVU Grid technology to affiliates only. I am surrounded by tons of feeds daily. TVU or sat downlink. I do notice CNN uses SES 3 & SES 2 vertical time to time. ABC and some CBS NBC uses GAL 17 VERTICAL also.
Some reason CNN uses low power and their symbol rate of 4.250 is sometimes impossible to receive.

TVU Grid? Is that like a private fiber network? I don't know how they can assure high quality video with the nature of the internet without having a dedicated connection which they were getting with with satellite.

TVU Grid? Is that like a private fiber network? I don't know how they can assure high quality video with the nature of the internet without having a dedicated connection which they were getting with with satellite.

It's a matrix (like a satellite mux) of feeds behind login credentials. I would also think some rural stations might have issues with bandwidth, but maybe CBS and ABC have figured it out for those affiliates.

Last edited:
Reactions: olliec420

Louis correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ABC centrally bring all of their affiliate feeds in via IP now? I remember reading an article back many months ago that they had every affiliate hooked up via Fiber now so that YouTube TV and other streaming providers could get every ABC affiliate from one location as opposed to having to go to every station separately.

Not sure there's been any announcement, but NBC vacated its 12 feeds from 103 recently, and ABC vacated theirs from 91 last month. I believe kofi123 said CBS Newspath will be leaving 99 eventually as well. So, if CNN follows suit, it could be this year or next. Fortunately, you can access most of these feeds for free on the internet.

As much as I hate to admit it this trend is likely to continue. If you think about it how many stations actually rely on these live feeds now? Other than pre-packaged stories for their newscasts if they show a "Live" event it is going to come down with the network feed or it will be something local that applies to their state/region.

As much as I hate to admit it this trend is likely to continue. If you think about it how many stations actually rely on these live feeds now? Other than pre-packaged stories for their newscasts if they show a "Live" event it is going to come down with the network feed or it will be something local that applies to their state/region.

God bless ABC for making their 10 fees available to the public via IP.

In addition to the news clips, most of the nice skyline cams, beach cams, etc that those feeds use can be found here: EarthCam - Webcam Network

Reactions: N5XZS and c-spand

Here's a glimpse of what NBC's matrix looks like.

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Reactions: N5XZS