CNNHD (202) Frequent Audio Pops (5.1)

Shaun Gupta

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Warren, PA
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my HR54 and the HD feed of CNN on DirecTV (channel 202). For the last 6 months or so (kept expecting it to get fixed, but it hasn't been), I've had frequent audio clipping/popping on this channel only. It seems to be a single loud "pop" coming from the rear speakers in my 5.1 setup, and it happens every few minutes (maybe 4-5 minutes in between on average). The thing is, it ONLY seems to happen for CNN. It doesn't happen on any other DirecTV channels (and I watch a large variety). It's also not a signal issue, as the dish just got recalibrated recently after some roof work. I don't see how it's an audio receiver (Marantz SR7011) issue either, as I also use multiple streaming/gaming devices, and there's nothing else doing this there either.

Can anyone verify they're experiencing this too?

Thanks,
Shaun

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my HR54 and the HD feed of CNN on DirecTV (channel 202). For the last 6 months or so (kept expecting it to get fixed, but it hasn't been), I've had frequent audio clipping/popping on this channel only. It seems to be a single loud "pop" coming from the rear speakers in my 5.1 setup, and it happens every few minutes (maybe 4-5 minutes in between on average). The thing is, it ONLY seems to happen for CNN. It doesn't happen on any other DirecTV channels (and I watch a large variety). It's also not a signal issue, as the dish just got recalibrated recently after some roof work. I don't see how it's an audio receiver (Marantz SR7011) issue either, as I also use multiple streaming/gaming devices, and there's nothing else doing this there either.

Can anyone verify they're experiencing this too?

Thanks,
Shaun

Oh yes, I have been hearing it for longer than that. It doesn't happen on any other channel for me either. It's also audible on CNN on my TV that just has the TV speakers, but it's not nearly as noticeable. It's clearly a Directv issue with CNN as it doesn't make the pop noise on Comcast.

Do you ever notice that CNN and HLN are the only two channels that ever have anything in more than 5.1? I have mine set to the fake 7.1 "DD EX" mode, but on CNN and HLN, and only sometimes, it will show weird DD5.1 + pro logic combinations that I never programmed into it. It will switch back to DD EX during commercials and on all other channels. When CNN displays the DD 5.1 + pro logic info, I do not hear the popping, but it is not often that they broadcast in that form anymore. When I first got this AVR with Directv, it was that way all the time.

Hey there - thanks for chiming in! It's actually amazing to know I'm not alone here, but I'm sorry you're experiencing the same thing. It's interesting to learn it happens on TV speakers as well. I was curious about that.

I have my receiver set to Auto and automatically decode whatever is detected. I can't say I've noticed any strange Pro Logic behavior on CNN (I watch very little HLN), but I'll have to watch for this.

And yeah, it may have been more than 6 months; I know it's been at least that long, but it's been going on for a while. Think I'll see if I can write DirecTV about it. Like I said, for the longest time, I figured...well, I'm sure they'll fix it eventually (which has been the case with other temporary feed problems), but I'm losing hope at this point. =oP It's not too bad at a low volume, but it's very annoying (and I'm concerned potentially bad for the speakers) at a high one. I completely agree with you most other things are ruled out - it's gotta be a feed issue.

FYI, I chatted with a representative tonight and he said he'll escalate the issue and see if they can figure out what's going on. While I know enough not to be super optimistic in these situations, I was impressed he didn't make me go through the reboot receiver/check signal/etc. dance that I expected (and of course already tried wayyy back) after explaining that I believed it to be a source issue. if I hear back, I'll update further.

FYI, I chatted with a representative tonight and he said he'll escalate the issue and see if they can figure out what's going on. While I know enough not to be super optimistic in these situations, I was impressed he didn't make me go through the reboot receiver/check signal/etc. dance that I expected (and of course already tried wayyy back) after explaining that I believed it to be a source issue. if I hear back, I'll update further.

That's shocking that he seemed to believe you that it was a source issue from them. I give it a 5 to 10% chance of getting fixed, which is more than usual lol

I was surprised they didn't argue as well...

So, I've only watched a little CNN since then...but...I haven't noticed audio pops yet as of a day or two ago. Maybe they actually fixed it!? Either that or I've just gotten "lucky" when it's been on...we shall see.

P.S. I'm not getting into politics here as it's not the place (though yes, I happen to like CNN). Any channel not working is a technical issue; if it's a channel offered, it should work properly, regardless of content, or there's an issue that needs addressing.

I was surprised they didn't argue as well...

So, I've only watched a little CNN since then...but...I haven't noticed audio pops yet as of a day or two ago. Maybe they actually fixed it!? Either that or I've just gotten "lucky" when it's been on...we shall see.

P.S. I'm not getting into politics here as it's not the place (though yes, I happen to like CNN). Any channel not working is a technical issue; if it's a channel offered, it should work properly, regardless of content, or there's an issue that needs addressing.

Tonight, I am noticing the extra flag on the DD of CNN, are you seeing it, too? I am seeing DD 5.1 + Pro Logic II Cinema - and I can't change it, except to something stupid like one of those fake, hollow, goofy name modes they have for surround sound - instead of the DD EX I have it set to default to, which is normal DD 5.1 with a 7.1 matrix added in for the rear surrounds. CNN is the only channel with this mode. I have a Denon AVR if I didn't mention that earlier.

Like I said before, when I have noticed this mode before, I did not hear the pops. When it's normal, I do. I will listen in the future. I will be happy (but shocked!) if they fixed it THAT fast!

Not to get political, but I have flipped to RT ch 321 a few times just to see what their propaganda spin on things was, depending on the events that might have happened. There was a time when they had an audio issue - only left audio - but that didn't last too long that I noticed. I do the same thing with CGTN ch 2119 and the other international news like France 24 on MHz Worldview, which I have as a local 57-2. Also, I can usually pull in CBC OTA. I like different news.

Mine seems to always show "Dolby D + [DD]S", which is what it seems to always show on most of the HD channels. I never see any Pro Logic stuff, though I think the mode can be manually toggled on my equipment. Note: [DD] denotes the Dolby Digital symbol.

My receiver is a Marantz SR-7011. I think Denon and Marantz are sister companies.

At any rate, I watched quite a lot of CNN today...I really do think it might be fixed! Here's hoping - let me know if you notice any popping!

Mine seems to always show "Dolby D + [DD]S", which is what it seems to always show on most of the HD channels. I never see any Pro Logic stuff, though I think the mode can be manually toggled on my equipment. Note: [DD] denotes the Dolby Digital symbol.

My receiver is a Marantz SR-7011. I think Denon and Marantz are sister companies.

At any rate, I watched quite a lot of CNN today...I really do think it might be fixed! Here's hoping - let me know if you notice any popping!

Only CNN and HLN show [DD]D + PLII+C. All other HD channels with DD show [DD] EX for me. For all other HD channels, I can toggle the mode between DD and Pro Logic and others in that group, but not on CNN and HLN. I never watch HLN, but I went through one time to see if only CNN showed that notation and I only saw it on HLN, too. I have never seen it anywhere else, Directv or otherwise.

Like I said before, when CNN shows this mode, it doesn't pop. When it shows [DD] EX like all other channels it does pop. I hope it just stays this way.

So weird. Yeah, I don't have anything like that, and as far as I can tell, even when it popped, it didn't display differently.

Hopefully it does stay that way now though. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)