coathanger antenna

lownote2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Ok, so they are all over the internet... a nifty antenna you can build yourself out of some screws, washers, a piece of wood and some coathangers.

So I decided what the heck and built one last Saturday and low and behold the thing actually works pretty good. I'm at least 40 or more miles from the towers and am picking up stations I could never receive with the store bought rabbit antennas.

Some of the stations are coming in, but they go out every so often because the signal is a bit weak on them.

Anybody have a good answer for a good in line amplifier that would work good for the HD. I don't know if any amplifier will work ok...(I'm actually picking up pretty ok, but some drop or take a while to pick up).. or are there special amps for HD that would work better. ( and not cost a fortune either... )

Just remember an amplifier has to have a SIGNAL before it can amplify it. An improvement in the antenna is always the best first choice.

A digital signal is a computer input GIGO (garbage in is garbage out).

how do you make this antenna? Where on the net can i find a site? Thanks!

Google it - looks like you have a selection of sites to go to but the one I've heard most is the YouTube one. Here is the link to the YouTube one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw]YouTube - Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna![/ame]

Sounds like a good weekend project.

Just remember an amplifier has to have a SIGNAL before it can amplify it. An improvement in the antenna is always the best first choice.

A digital signal is a computer input GIGO (garbage in is garbage out).

Boba is absolutely right. An amplifier does not make an antenna "reach out" further to pick up a signal, it simply amplifies the signal it is already receiving. So if you are getting a crappy signal, you will amplify the crappiness...is that a word?

Be aware the DIY antenna idea above will not very well not receive those VHF-HI and almost certainly not the VHF-LO signals. I most certainly would not recommend placing it at ground level, inside and behind the TV stand like the DIY'er suggests. He does state a few inaccuracies as pointed out in the comments section; and if you read those, they are so funny; especially the ones claiming to receive all 30+ of their area digitals from some 50 or more miles away with the recommend placement. But for $10 or so what can it hurt right?

Charper, I have to report that the one I built off this design does in fact work very well for all VHF. I get the local VHF channel 2 with 70 signal (all UHF are pegged), so there is some signal not being grabbed. VHF-HI channel 7 for me is actually at 95 on my meter also. I built it for about $20 with 6 guage copper wire from the lowes mis-cut section (big discount) and a few pieces of sch 40 PVC.

here is a pic of my gray-hoverman on my deck before I painted it and capped the ends.

It measures 36x24 inches no reflector and picks up all local stations and stuff from 50 miles away on a 20 foot mast off my deck (deck is ground level). I'm using a channel master vhf/uhf pre-amp (can't remember model)

Attachments

• IMAGE_021.jpg
    IMAGE_021.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,082
Charper, I have to report that the one I built off this design does in fact work very well for all VHF. I get the local VHF channel 2 with 70 signal (all UHF are pegged), so there is some signal not being grabbed. VHF-HI channel 7 for me is actually at 95 on my meter also. I built it for about $20 with 6 guage copper wire from the lowes mis-cut section (big discount) and a few pieces of sch 40 PVC.

here is a pic of my gray-hoverman on my deck before I painted it and capped the ends.

It measures 36x24 inches no reflector and picks up all local stations and stuff from 50 miles away on a 20 foot mast off my deck (deck is ground level). I'm using a channel master vhf/uhf pre-amp (can't remember model)

Are you sure the VHF channels 2 and 7 are actually broadcasting their digital signals via VHF? Many, but not all, VHF stations are broadcasting their digital signals via UHF while their analog signal is still on VHF until the changeover comes in February. Just curious.

Jeepguy, yes, I am sure of it. I am in the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek michigan DMA. I get stuff from Lansing MI and South Bend, IN fairly reliably.

WWMT analog 3 digital 2 (going to digital 8 in Feb)
WGVK analog 52 digital 5 ( can't make any claims on this cause it is so close to me, I think a piece of wood would bring it in)
WOOD analog 8 Digital 7

Only wwmt is less than 90 on my signal meter

thank you ken s.

Thank you Ken S for the video from youtube for the coathanger antenna.Made one up and it works!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)