Coax Run Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Motown
I posted this on another board as well...need some suggestions.

I've got a H20-600 in my living room. My wife is asking for the HD DVR (HR20/21) to add to our recording capabilities (old Tivo RCADVR40 in the basement).

I have a problem though.

My dish is 35 feet behind the house on the garage (diagram via this link: http://www.shoplikeaman.com/images/satellitesetup.jpg

satellitesetup.jpg

I have 3 coax lines run from the garage back to the house, where, currently, 2 go to the RCA40/Tivo and one to the H20-600. The 4th feed goes into the garage to an old D10 (I watch alot of baseball in the Man Cave/Garage )

My understanding is if I swap out the H20 for a HR20/21, that I'll need to run all 4 lines to the house, attach it to a multiswitch (there isn't one now), run 2 lines to a HR20/21, 2 to the Tivo and then have to run a 5th coax back to the garage.

Two years ago I ran the 3 coax cables back to the house from the garage. It was tough as I had to zip tie the three cable and use the existing cable TV line to tie it to hold/prop it up.

With all that said, is this my only option (to run all 4 lines to the house, then 1 back to the garage for a total of 5 35ft in the air coax runs)?

Any advice is appreciated.

You could also put the multiswitch in the garage and run only 4 lines between your garage and house.

If you can get your hands on a SWM8 (single-wire multiplexer), you could run 4 lines from the dish to the SWM (in the garage) and run one line from the SWM output to the HR20/21 (it will split internally) and two from legacy outputs to the DVR40. The third legacy output could go to the D10 in the garage. This would not require you to run additional cables from the garage to the house. The SWM8 isn't that easy to find, as they are being allocated to MFH-2 systems for MDU installation. They aren't cheap either, but there is a thread on dbstalk which you may find helpful: i can get swm8's - DBSTalk.Com.

Thanks, Bob.

It definetely appears that I will have to do some coax run configuration to make this work, or just leave the H20 and try and convince my wife to dump the RCA DVR40-Tivo and get an HDTV and an HR21 in the basement. That would solve everything without me needing to re-wire and/or get a multiwitch.

Or I could wait for the SWM-integrated Slimline to come out and then go with that and upgrade all my receivers.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks, Bob.

It definetely appears that I will have to do some coax run configuration to make this work, or just leave the H20 and try and convince my wife to dump the RCA DVR40-Tivo and get an HDTV and an HR21 in the basement. That would solve everything without me needing to re-wire and/or get a multiwitch.

Or I could wait for the SWM-integrated Slimline to come out and then go with that and upgrade all my receivers.

Appreciate your response.

Does she need both tuners in the basement? With one she can still record, and gets the duel tuner upstairs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)