College football players can unionize, federal agency says...

A comment in this thread "they can play somewhere else", is incorrect. There is nowhere else at this level.
Doesn't have to be at this level or popularity, there is somewhere else to go. They just choose not to.

What's next? The general scholarship students unionize? The presidential scholarship students unionize? The band scholarship students unionize?

Yeah, would be nice for there to be uniform disciplinary rules. But guess what, don't break the rules and you don't get punished.

Two things:
1) The "What's next?" argument is already addressed in my previous comment as FUD. And that is all it is. This action is about items enumerated above. Any other imagined items added by us is irrelevant to THIS action.

2) There are no viable alternatives for post high school at this level athleticism and competition, not popularity. Also many leagues require athletes to go to college to get into the major leagues. NBA and NFL use colleges as their minor leagues specifically because of the level of play. If you can think of any other domestic post high school leagues that have the same level of athleticism/competition, please let me (and professional leagues) know.

BTW, I also like how the main sticking point, who pays for injuries, was completely omitted in the last comment.

The injuries controversy could have been handled within the ncaa or the individual conferences. Like any union they will say they just want one thing and then another and before long everything. No good will come of this and eventually the players will be traded around like a minor league system and education will be an after thought.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It COULD have been handled, but in two decades, it hasn't. That is why there is a push for a union. As I said in my first post, if these issues would have been addressed, even just a little before now, there wouldn't be a need for a union.

EVERYONE!

http://www.hbsslaw.com/Templates/me...AA Concussions/NCAA Concussions Complaint.pdf
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/whos_suing_the_ncaa_alcom_data.html
http://www.unc.edu/depts/nccsi/2011FBAnnual.pdf

Once again, the whole reason for a union is to give a voice to the voiceless. One player who complains about treatment or conditions just gets removed from the program. Everyone gets together to complain together without legal protection, may also be removed or silenced. Collective bargaining is the only way when the management refuses to react and consider their subordinates needs in the face of information available, and ignored.

Also many leagues require athletes to go to college to get into the major leagues.
Actually they don't.

The NBA requires players to be 1 year out of high school (aka, the reason for the one & dones). A few years ago they didn't even require the 1 year.

The NFL requires players to be 3 years out of high school.

MLB, the NHL, and MLS have no such requirements.

If they don't want to go to college, and play right away, the NBA has a development league. And football players can always look up the CFL.

Actually they don't.

The NBA requires players to be 1 year out of high school (aka, the reason for the one & dones). A few years ago they didn't even require the 1 year.

The NFL requires players to be 3 years out of high school.

MLB, the NHL, and MLS have no such requirements.

If they don't want to go to college, and play right away, the NBA has a development league. And football players can always look up the CFL.
MLB eligibility rules:

• High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
  • College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
  • Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed

MLB eligibility rules:

• High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
  • College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
  • Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed
In other words, everybody.

So the question to all of you who are outraged about the ruling:
Do you think player injuries on the field (play and practice) should be covered by the team both short term and long term?
Injuries that happen during practice or games should be covered 100% by the school. Long-term care from injuries is tricky.... Even car-accident injuries, when a lawsuit or settlement is involved, don't pay "forever". What if the player is permanently injured ?

This probably the kind of thing the student-athletes are probably trying to guard against:

According to the recent 30-page court filing in Montgomery County (Md) Circuit Court, “The NCAA denies that it has a legal duty to protect student-athletes, but affirmatively states that under the NCAA Constitution each member institution is responsible for protecting the health of its student-athletes, and that for decades it had provided appropriate information and guidance on concussions to its member institutions.”

The NCAA revised its lengthy rulebook in 2010, adding that each school must create a policy to handle player concussions. But according to The Washington Times, the NCAA has done little to enforce the revision and “no school has been investigated or punished for violating the rule.”

NCAA 'denies legal duty' to protect student-athletes, court filing says

Those kids can always go somewhere else if they don't want to play by the rules of college, and make a fast buck.

After seeing the report on Real Sport on HBO, I am convinced even more that college do not give a rats ass about these kids because how basically force kids to take 'general studies' so they stay eligble. IF you have a kid sign a letter of intent, you are basically promising that they will get a legit education that will serve them for when they get out....NOT an extention of high school.

Look, if your job was using YOUR image to sell something and it was make BILLIONS ...you sure as the nose on your face, would want a piece of that pie. WHY is it different?

Let's play devil's advocate....shouldn't the colleges share in a percentage of a student athlete's future earning? Didn't the University spend hundreds of thousands of dollars education these kids, teaching them to speak in public, and how to build their bodies and learn the game of football from some of the best coaches and sports staffs in the nation? All these countless thousands of contact hours (free of charge) help prepare the student athlete to earn a living in as a professional athlete? The other students have to pay for their education while these free-loaders pay nothing. Shouldn't the NCAA be entitled to share in a student athlete's professional earnings when the football player goes on to earn million using the skills taught free-of-charge by the NCAA schools? Perhaps the students should pay for their education, each hour of training, etc. That team meeting with the head coach is going to cost you $150. That on-field practice with the entire coaching staff is going to cost you $250. That workout with the strength coach is going to cost you $100. The massage will run you $80, which the dip in the whirlpool will run you $25. You want to meet with the Head Coach to discuss something...well, your going to pay a share of 2.5 million dollar salary since his time isn't free...$600 an hour? Sure!

OK.. let's break this up:

1) Colleges are ALREADY taking that money out by selling their 'likeness' when they market to alumni and fans to buy the tickets with the images on the touchdown, pass, run or catch...or dunk. That is the way ALL OTHER sports market so that you buy the gear and tickets...and at least the pros almost split it 50-50.

2) Some of the best coaches staffs IN COLLEGE sports. Also, are you rating them based on their pay or based on their success as coaches?

3) Other students who are as gifted intellictually, get grants thrown at them all the time. Also, you cannot tell me that some of these do not go to school based on the success of their schools sports teams. And can you really call a student-athlete a "free-loader"?! They too have trained and have made as many sacrifices as those student getting a free ride due to academics...and in some cases more. The REAL "free loaders" are the children on the rich that use university life as a way to drink and bull$#!7 their way through college life.

4) Should the NCAA be entitled to share in their earning? See #1.

Look, if your job was using YOUR image to sell something and it was make BILLIONS ...you sure as the nose on your face, would want a piece of that pie. WHY is it different?
My name is on several patents. Yet, I don't get a single cent from them. Why, because they're owned by the companies.

In most of the research universities, masters & phd students aren't making money off the schools research either, even if they're names are attached to them.

They were paying you while you worked on that "idea" or widget as well (presumably).

You at least put it on your resume, right? ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1) Colleges are ALREADY taking that money out by selling their 'likeness' when they market to alumni and fans to buy the tickets with the images on the touchdown, pass, run or catch...or dunk. That is the way ALL OTHER sports market so that you buy the gear and tickets...and at least the pros almost split it 50-50.
And it was wrong to do so, and why the NCAA pretty much lost the EA Sports lawsuit and why there won't be another EA NCAA game.

I saw stories about Harrison's $300,000+ shot, but it's just for dramatic effect. How much was the pass from his teammate worth ? What about the other (72) previous points that allowed that to be a winning shot ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)