College football players can unionize, federal agency says...

So much for the myth that none of this is to get paid.

http://onlineathens.com/sports/coll...a-players-weigh-college-athletes-unionizing-w

“We’re out here risking our bodies, going hard and practicing in the hot sun every day,” Wilson said. “I think we should get some type of reward for it and get paid for it. ... We need something because any play we could tear our ACL out there or break our neck. We’re putting our life on the line for their entertainment for Saturday.”

We’re putting our life on the line for their entertainment for Saturday
I take issue with many players making a statement like that, primarily so when their "goal" is to play in the NFL. That's the reason many are playing, not to entertain.

I ran across this type of thing last week when the University of Dayton Flyers were in the Elite Eight - multiple players list their goals as "playing in the NBA" and/or "working for ESPN".

Life on the line for their entertainment?

Hahahaha, yeah, that's why I played high school football. No, actually I did it because it was fun and I enjoyed it.
Would have tried to walk on in college if I wasn't in ROTC. Instead I did intramurals, of which ROTC has a team.

Of course it's easy to find a player who's not aware of what the original intentions of this union are. Will getting paid eventually be a goal of the union?? Maybe. But not yet...
Yes, because the United Steel Workers (backers of the Northwestern effort) has never cared about money.

Again, no mention of a salary or stipend from CAPA itself, or from the USW International President Leo W. Gerard in a recent statement:

“This ruling is a tremendous victory, not just for the athletes at Northwestern, but ultimately for all college athletes, many of whom generate tens of millions of dollars each year for their institutions, yet still are in constant danger of being out on the street with one accident or injury."

“The key issue at Northwestern is negotiating better protections against concussions and improving medical coverage following graduation."

“Our belief all along was simply that these athletes have a right to expect the same fair treatment that all Americans should expect, and that when they work hard and devote years of their lives in service to an institution, they deserve certain basic protections in return. None of them should live in fear of losing their scholarships in an instant, nor should they be left without health care after debilitating injuries."

USW Hails NLRB Ruling in Favor of College Athletes Players Association

The only people I've read comments about the players getting paid are from those who don't understand the initial reasons for the pursuit of unionization. Could it come up in the future?? Sure, but it's not on the table now...

See, the union is already producing dividends....

The NCAA's legislative council approved a proposal Tuesday to expand the meal allowance for all athletes.

The proposal would allow Division I schools to provide unlimited meals and snacks to all athletes, including walk-ons.

Also approved:

• A measure requiring football players to get a three-hour break between preseason practices. Film sessions and team meetings still could be held during the break;

• require a school staff member who is certified in CPR, first aid and arterial external defibrillation to be present at all physical, countable athletic activities;

• and require strength and conditioning coaches to be certified by a nationally accredited certification organization.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10787521/ncaa-legislative-council-approves-expanded-meal-allowance