Colored Button Secrets

I don't think we have anything public, but here are the main ones I use

Red button for TV Viewing Status
Blue for apps
Menu - Yellow: Settings
Menu - Yellow - Blue: Network Setup

Otherwise, Menu - then pressing the number or the tile on the screen will be the shortcut (like menu - yellow - 3 will get you to CC). In DVR, the colored buttons have their use labeled at the top.

No need to press menu before yellow, also pressing yellow twice takes you to point dish screen.

I found out from another thread that pressing blue twice in broadband setup add a bridging button.

Another question. On my 722 pressing a number when in the DVR menu brought you to the first recording that started with the letter that corresponds to that number. Can't seem to do this on the HWS. Is there a way?

I think in the 622/722 and maybe earlier, the number buttons (1-9) brought you to (#-1)/8 of the list.
That is, 1 was top of list (the 0th one), 9 was bottom (9-1)/8=1 the full list, and 5 was midway. Too bad that it only worked on some lists.
It sure could be a big help on the Hopper like for the Timer list, or on button lists.

-Ken

I think in the 622/722 and maybe earlier, the number buttons (1-9) brought you to (#-1)/8 of the list.
That is, 1 was top of list (the 0th one), 9 was bottom (9-1)/8=1 the full list, and 5 was midway. Too bad that it only worked on some lists.
It sure could be a big help on the Hopper like for the Timer list, or on button lists.

-Ken

it really was nice on the 722. I thought that it was bringing you to the letter of the alphabet that is on the corresponding number button but I may have been mistaken. I would love it on the hopper as well.

The implementation of 1/8 steps is a trivial programming problem--shift 3 bits. Doing a search for the first letter is more trouble and what if all the names began with "The"? So why don't they do it on the Hopper.

-Ken

I don't think we have anything public...
One would think there is a chart somewhere in the Engineering group at Dish. In fact, I do seem to remember a more comprehensive list being posted in response to a similar query I made a while back.
Exactly - there's no harm in "making public" certain keystrokes related to the colored buttons (or any button combination/keystroke). I mean, if there's a secret keystroke for re-formatting the HDD, yes, leave that off of the public list.

I think Matt just meant that nobody took the time to make the list public more so than Dish intentionally hiding anything.

I used this page to learn most of the shortcuts, and the rest I just learned from pressing random buttons ;) . Page is a tad outdated though :-

http://www.dishuser.org/hoppertips.php

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Thanks 3HaloODST

"From the Settings Menu: the tiles are invisibly labeled 1-7, just count across the screen and press that number on the remote." Actually works from 1-9 but no further. As of now (238) there are 11.

Last edited:
I found out from another thread that pressing blue twice in broadband setup add a bridging button.

Another question. On my 722 pressing a number when in the DVR menu brought you to the first recording that started with the letter that corresponds to that number. Can't seem to do this on the HWS. Is there a way?

-Ken

it really was nice on the 722. I thought that it was bringing you to the letter of the alphabet that is on the corresponding number button but I may have been mistaken. I would love it on the hopper as well.
Not wanting to continue the thread derail, but here is what I have confirmed (on my 722):

When the DVR list is sorted alphabetically, pressing a number will take you to the first title starting with the letter corresponding to that number (2-A, 3-D, 4-G, etc.) If a title starting with that letter doesn't exist, it goes to the next available letter (ie. 5-L, if no titles start with J or K). The only exception is that 1 will take you to the very top of the list, and 9 will take you to the very last title (not the first W title). I can tell it doesn't use a mathematical formula, because when I go from 4 to 5, it only jumps 9 titles, but when I go from 7 to 8, it jumps 81 titles (due to more title names being in the P-S range).

When the list it is sorted by dvr date or length, the number buttons do nothing, except for 1 and 9.

When the DVR list is sorted alphabetically, pressing a number will take you to the first title starting with the letter corresponding to that number (2-A, 3-D, 4-G, etc.) If a title starting with that letter doesn't exist, it goes to the next available letter (ie. 5-L, if no titles start with J or K).
When the list it is sorted by dvr date or length, the number buttons do nothing, except for 1 and 9.
That may explain my puzzlement why some/most page do nothing with the numbers but my usual/alphabetic title sort did work for the most used cases 1 and 9.
Oh, got 238 overnight despite using until very late.
-Ken

Not really a colored button issue but, today I learned, by error, that with Multi-Channel Recall "On", if you press the RECALL button twice, it takes you back to the last channel viewed. I had been pressing RECALL then SELECT to do that. It's something simple, but, there should be someplace to look things like this up. There is no reason for us to be in the dark about how to use the equipment.

Not really a colored button issue but, today I learned, by error, that with Multi-Channel Recall "On", if you press the RECALL button twice, it takes you back to the last channel viewed. I had been pressing RECALL then SELECT to do that. It's something simple, but, there should be someplace to look things like this up. There is no reason for us to be in the dark about how to use the equipment.

You can go into mydish.com, click on the Support tab, then select manuals. Then under Receiver User Guides select the Hopper model you have and down load your manual pdf file. If you have a Hopper w/Sling it is on page 77 (pdf page 87). Called Multi-Channel Recall. Also with your remote click on Menu, Help, and then press your red button. Lotsa things here to help you with your system.

charlesrshell
Looked in the Hopper and Hopper/S manuals and in the Help guide and none of them mentioned what was described above (clicking GUIDE button twice). Thank you anyway.

Nice. I might turn MCR back on now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)