On Demand 1080p

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Is there a way to test your TV to see if it will play Dish TV 1080p programs? I haven't tried to rent a 1080p program in a long time. Before, there was a test to see if your TV would play 1080p programs before you rented the program. An older HD TV would never pass the test. Want to try out a 1080p movie in a newer TV before we rent Argo. I never get the test procedure before the rent button is ready to click. Would like to perform the test first before we rent it. Thanks for your help.

Well, I'm not sure on running the test ahead of time. But, if you have a 1080P television and its hooked up with HDMI then there is no reason it shouldn't work.

OK, thanks for your inputs. Years ago tried to rent a 1080p movie from Dish TV when they first started to offer 1080p movies on demand. Our Sony 1080p that was connected by HDMI would always fail the Dish TV test. I think it had something to do with the 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 numbers whatever that is. Also, our 1080i Panasonic that was connected by HDMI always failed the test too. I will try out our Samsung TV this weekend.

I believe when you first order the movie, the test is done for you. I would think it would be listed for your tv specs somewhere. I don't recall any tv approved list by Dish, you could try a DIRT member to see what info they may have.

I believe when you first order the movie, the test is done for you. I would think it would be listed for your tv specs somewhere. I don't recall any tv approved list by Dish, you could try a DIRT member to see what info they may have.

OK, thanks again. I don't see it in the specs.

Yep, when you go to rent a 1080P movie it will check to see that you can watch it first.

Yep the only testing it did was check the EDID of the TV. Pretty seamless.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

It's the display information of what the TV is capable of, part of the handshake over HDMI.

It's the display information of what the TV is capable of, part of the handshake over HDMI.

I don't think I got that from Dish TV. When I clicked on the movie resume button my TV popped up a window that said 1920x1080p/24. I just now went in and resumed some more movies that I still have in the Rental folder and the Samsung TV window does not pop open. I then resumed Argo 1080p version and again the Samsung window pops up with the 1080p/24 info. Wonder why it does that only for Argo!

It's a seamless transition (other than maybe your TV reporting the different viewing mode.) For all non-1080p events your TV will always be in 1080i (or 720p.) You should only see the popup from your TV when viewing 1080p events.

If you really want the nitty-gritty on EDID, on your Hopper hit YELLOW - BLUE - 3 - HDMI and scroll away :p . In the "info" field if you scroll down, it will tell you the "Supported formats" which should include 1080p if your TV is 1080p-capable (which it obviously is since you watched 1080p.)

For anyone else that cares, on the ViP it's MENU - 6 - 3 - Analysis - HDMI (IIRC, I'll have to check later.)

It's a seamless transition (other than maybe your TV reporting the different viewing mode.) For all non-1080p events your TV will always be in 1080i (or 720p.) You should only see the popup from your TV when viewing 1080p events.

If you really want the nitty-gritty on EDID, on your Hopper hit YELLOW - BLUE - 3 - HDMI and scroll away :p . In the "info" field if you scroll down, it will tell you the "Supported formats" which should include 1080p if your TV is 1080p-capable (which it obviously is since you watched 1080p.)

For anyone else that cares, on the ViP it's MENU - 6 - 3 - Analysis - HDMI (IIRC, I'll have to check later.)

WOW, thanks. Good info