Colts want rules changed.

Polian and the Colt's constant crying also caused the absurd rules for DB's now in place.

Didn't like the Pats to actually touch their(Colt) receivers during route running.

Maybe one day before Manning retires, Polian will be able to successfully lobby the league to say that neither Manning nor his receivers can be touched during play.

clapple said:
I'd say the new rule (illegal snap) is the dumbest thing in 66 years of watching the NFL! :(

No that would be the ridiculous illegal contact crap we have to put up with now, because of Polian whining and him being on the stupid competition committee.

This will affect every team, not just the Colts. Any team that runs the hurryup outside of the 2 minute warning will be slowed down by the ref spotting the ball and getting back to his spot.

This will affect every team, not just the Colts. Any team that runs the hurryup outside of the 2 minute warning will be slowed down by the ref spotting the ball and getting back to his spot.

So the refs need to work a little quicker ...

Once everyone gets into a routine I think it will blow over.

meStevo said:

TFB, everyone has to play by this rule. Just like everyone has to play by the bullcrap illegal contact rule. The colts and everyone else just have to adjust.

I watched some of the Ravens/Giants game Saturday. The Ravens had no problem running the hurry up outside of 2 minutes.

Polian just needs to shut up.

Last edited:
The rule change is ridiculous and Manning, the Colts and everyone else in the league have the right to be upset.

By making the QB to look to the sideline ref, who will signal the QB when it's ok to snap the ball, you're slowing the game down at the most critical time of the game. During a "hurry-up offense", the whole point is to catch defenses off guard, to snap a ball before a close call is reviewed or to beat the expiring clock.

Add this to another laundry list of things for a QB to do: take in the play call from the sideline, relay that call to teammates, audible at the line, direct teammates into position, instruct the O-line of any audible or opposing defensive switch, mind the game clock, all at a quicker pace than the opposing defense which is the whole point of a "hurry up" scheme. Now you're asking them to WAIT for the ref to get into position before you snap the ball? And now it'll take the ref longer to get into that position than in year's past?!

Ridiculous. I don't care what you're rooting interest. This needs to be corrected. You're messing with the game.

I don't like the rule either, but it is a rule now so live with it.

It's THEIR game to mess with if they want. The owners had to agree to this, so it's a moot point.

Well, now it's clear the owners didn't know how if at all it would effect the game. Now they do. They as well as the competition committee has every right to go back and review the rule.

I'm surprised the league is being this aggressive in implementing the change in the regular season. In the past, they would try it in the preseason, evaluate it, and start it in the regular season the next year.

This will definitely weed out some of the older and/or out of shape umpires because all eyes will be on them...

Well, now it's clear the owners didn't know how if at all it would effect the game. Now they do. They as well as the competition committee has every right to go back and review the rule.

In YOUR opinion. maybe they like it, no one knows what they are thinking.

The rules will be looked at before the 1st game next week, according to what they said last night.

The idea was to get the officials out of the middle of the defense when play is being run.

They could move them back to where they were if they can't find a better way to solve this.

I vote to give them helmets and put them back where they were.

The rules will be looked at before the 1st game next week, according to what they said last night.
That is true, but they seem adamant that the umpire will be behind the QB, it's just some of the mechanics and penalties may be tweaked.

I vote to give them helmets and put them back where they were.
Part of the reason for the change is the official's safety, but for that they would need much more than a helmet. Unless you're this umpire of course:

YouTube - Gamecocks Stephen Garcia tackle by referee

That is true, but they seem adamant that the umpire will be behind the QB, it's just some of the mechanics and penalties may be tweaked.

Part of the reason for the change is the official's safety, but for that they would need much more than a helmet. Unless you're this umpire of course:

YouTube - Gamecocks Stephen Garcia tackle by referee

His form was OK, he didn't wrap up. Looked like he was going for the "hit tackle", but whatever he's a ref, what could you expect. :)

His form was OK, he didn't wrap up. Looked like he was going for the "hit tackle", but whatever he's a ref, what could you expect. :)

Not too often you see players Wrap Up any more, it's a lost art, as teams don't want to get hurt before the real games start and many don't practice TACKLING anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)