Combining OTA antenna and Dish Network 722k rcvr outputs.

ronhowell

Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Cypress, CA
Hi All,
Having replaced Time Warner cable with a Dish Network satellite setup, I am attempting to incorporate an OTA antenna feed into both Sharp HDTVs that I have, one in the family room (TV1 at 1080p) where the 722k receiver resides and another in the bedroom (TV2 at 720p)), some 40 - 50 feet away. I have the MT2 Module for OTA channels installed in the 722k.
Currently the feed to the 722k is from a Holland electronics DPD2 diplexer, with the SAT input and UHF/VHF inputs feeding the 722k and TV1 via a single co-ax cable. The other UHF/VHF input feeds a co-ax cable to the bedroom HDTV. However, the input to the 722k from the single co-ax is further split into 3 via a Dish Network triplexer (175284), with 2 SAT outputs to the back of the 722k and the UHF/VHF going via another standard splitter to the Remote Antenna and Home Distribution inputs respectively in the rear of the 722k. This complex setup enables TV2 to access the 722k via a remote 6" antenna attached to TV2, but also means that the bedroom TV gets SD reception only, and local channels are ONLY received at both TVs as non HD.

I want to get OTA HD TV signals to both TVs. Can anyone tell me what combination of splitters/diplexers I need to do this, while retaining the satellite feed to TV2 (which I realize will be in SD), using the minimum of additional cabling?

Best bet is run a separate line from OTA antenna to both rooms. On the back of the receiver, plug the OTA cable into the OTA module. In the TV2 location, use a splitter to feed both signals into to coax of the TV. Run channel scan on TV2. Go to Menu>Local Channels on receiver and run channel scan.

I've never had any luck running an OTA signal down the same cable to a dual tuner receiver that has been diplexed to TV2.

Best bet is run a separate line from OTA antenna to both rooms. On the back of the receiver, plug the OTA cable into the OTA module. In the TV2 location, use a splitter to feed both signals into to coax of the TV. Run channel scan on TV2. Go to Menu>Local Channels on receiver and run channel scan.

I've never had any luck running an OTA signal down the same cable to a dual tuner receiver that has been diplexed to TV2.

Many thanks, gadgetguru63. I had pretty much come to the same conclusion myself, after reading numerous comments on various setups and possibilities listed in the forums here. The setup you describe keeps it relatively simple and straightforward.