navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Oh, the shame of it all!

My in-laws have a combo VHS-DVD recorder (never record anything). I may need to get them a replacement, and it might as well be - oh, the Horror! The Horror! (Sorry, Marlon) - a Blu-ray player that plays VHS. Might as well be a satellite radio that is also a Victrola. No need for 2.0.

Any such atrocity exist or on the way?

As far as I'm concerned there still not available in the U.S, But apparently Panasonic does make one,( DMR-BR630V) and is only available in japan.

Attachments

• panasonic-dmr-br630v.jpg
    panasonic-dmr-br630v.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 205
Thank you. I'll put this one off as long as I can. Gotta minimize remotes for them, etc, etc.

We're talking about one box that has a VHS tape player/recorder AND a Blu-ray player in it. So there's (maybe) one set of cables to connect from the box to the HDTV, and just the one remote. Taking up less space, less intimidating.

It's a bizarre concept, a truly miserable crude video technology combined with the best consumer video technology available. But that would be the only way, probably, that they'd go into Blu-ray. I bought them their HDTV, and they'll only have an HD picture on it because I'm paying for HD cable for them. Sigh.

Upscaling VHS? Gold plated cow flops, anyone?

Of course you could volunteer to transfer all their VHS tapes to DVD and scrap the tape player altogether....!

Better transfer all VHS tapes to BD-R. This way they will be forced to go Blu-ray. :D

It's a temptation. I have a unit that I've burned DVDs from VHS for them before. But they have a few macrovision titles. -Or used to.

You folks have given me an idea. Now that they've moved from a house into a "cottage" (1/6 of a strip building, let's call it a 1 BR apartment), they've dumped a lot of their "stuff." I need to look over their VHS collection, or what's left of it. Might be ahead to just buy those titles on DVD or BD and get them a BD player.

Makes some sense, especially in terms of "downsizing". Good bet they won't really want some of them replaced anyway. Get them the BD player, but replace the titles in DVD only. I'll bet they won't know the difference...!

There seem to be a number of lifestyle configurations that aren't coming out for Blu-Ray yet.

I see some TVs are starting to incorporate built in BR, and a few HTIB units.

There is no changer yet (not counting that $3500 Sony commercial unit) That was a big deal for us when the kids were young as we could leave 5 titles in the player and they could select what they wanted without gumming everything up.

No portable or in-car BR. Not a big deal for image quality, but you need it to be able to use the media. Otherwise a lot of folks just buy the DVD.

Don't see a lot of BR in computers either. I know it is available, but it isn't happening in the bundled systems they sell at BB. The cost of writeable media is still prohibitive as well.

This lifestyle stuff is probably just as important as cheap entry level players for BR acceptance.

Makes some sense, especially in terms of "downsizing". Good bet they won't really want some of them replaced anyway. Get them the BD player, but replace the titles in DVD only. I'll bet they won't know the difference...!

Yes, I think that's the way I'll go.

That would be crazy. I saw blank BluRay-R media at Target for $12-18/ea. Cheaper to buy the DVD.
But keep in mind that you cat fit many 2-hour tapes on a single BD-R! ;)
Well, that was a joke anyway. :)

Oh, the shame of it all!

My in-laws have a combo VHS-DVD recorder (never record anything). I may need to get them a replacement, and it might as well be - oh, the Horror! The Horror! (Sorry, Marlon) - a Blu-ray player that plays VHS. Might as well be a satellite radio that is also a Victrola. No need for 2.0.

Any such atrocity exist or on the way?

While we are at it, how about a 8track/blu-ray combo :haha ;)

Ahhh, errrr, uhhhh- they just got rid of their 8 track player. Hadn't used it in years, so out it went with most of their other stuff as they moved. Whether it was sold or tossed, I ask not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)