Comcast channel lineup is ....

CrimsonKnightDX

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 19, 2015
Mile High
Hi everyone!

New Comcast subscriber here. Recently I have had directv and dish. I have not really found the answer on the Internet anywhere, but why is the channel lineup so random and basically seems a mess. Of course I am comparing it to the channel lineup that DirecTV and dish network have, which basically groups most of the channels by type.

The channel locations are usually the same as the standard definition and High definition channel numbering slots.

For instance on Comcast in Denver local NBC affiliate KUSA is channel 9. HD is 653, but on Dish and Directv remains the same location 9. Why can't Comcast do the same? I am sure there is a good reason for it, but haven't come across anything yet.

Also another example of the channels being located randomly on Comcast, especially the HD channels like Fox News at 752 but fox business is at 793. Also CNN 738 and MSNBC 765 are spaced so far apart. I know some are because the standard channel is usually the last two digits. FOX news is 42, CNN is 38 and MSNBC is by itself at 65. Why is the channel lineup and locations so awkward and random unlike satellite?

Thank you so much for any insight provided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Comcast/Xfinity as well and you are right, the grouping sucks compared to satellite. Cable has been this way since the 80's when I first got it. The funny thing is that Comcast in one market can have completely different channel orders than another market. I think it goes back to the hodgepodge original setups back in the 80's for each different area vs satellite where there is a single source for core channels nationwide.

Reactions: CrimsonKnightDX
Yea I got Comcast also. It's all messed up.

It's like they made 3 attempts to make a channel lineup.

You got the SD content below 100. Then between 100-300 you got HD, then a totally different lineup in the 1000's

I got a DVR and don't really care, but boy it's confusing.

They would probably try to clean it up, but I could just imagine the number of phone calls from customers looking for a certain channel.

Right!! It's very confusing. I wonder if there is anyway to make a national lineup? Of course the locals are different for each market but the rest should be consistent.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443272495.839476.jpg

I love the X1. Really cool... But again look at the NFL network hanging out with the TLC network, and the NBC sports network way down 9 channels away with the Disney channel in between?! Haha!

You got the SD content below 100. Then between 100-300 you got HD, then a totally different lineup in the 1000's
In the San Francisco Bay Area the HD stations start at 701 and go up to about 850. Example: Channel 2 SD is 702 HD, 13 SD is 713, etc.
Shows how the channel number differs so much from area to area. I agree, though, the numbering sequence makes no logical sense.

In the San Francisco Bay Area the HD stations start at 701 and go up to about 850. Example: Channel 2 SD is 702 HD, 13 SD is 713, etc.
Shows how the channel number differs so much from area to area. I agree, though, the numbering sequence makes no logical sense.

Okay interesting how Comcast used different locations for the locals on the HD set. I wonder how and why it's so different from doing a national lineup as satellite has done vs cable.

Hadn't noticed before but the numbering in the 700's for locals is the same here in Colorado Springs as well.

Wow. Very interesting the difference on the channel lineup from Denver to the Springs! Good to know, been considering moving there.

Wow. Very interesting the difference on the channel lineup from Denver to the Springs! Good to know, been considering moving there.

The locals make sense, not so much the rest. :coco

On the other hand I record almost everything I watch and use the Last function of the X1 so I seldom spend much time looking for stuff in the guide.

I just moved here last year from Houston and so far enjoy The Springs a lot.

Here in Twin Cities on Xfinity HD locals start at 802. The 600's like in the screencap posted a few posts back are mostly Latino channels here. I think NFL Network HD & SD are 170-something, both back to back.

Reason for it is that satellite actually has their HD channels in the 1,000s range. They then map down the channel. That's why on Dish's Hopper, there are two channels at the 102 spot. Cable's equipment is set up to only show the physical channel. There isn't any mapping down on older equipment. Therefore, your local affiliates have their SD lineup at their time honored locations, where HD is place in higher locations.

In my area, Comcast will put as many channels at a number that is similar to their SD actual location. So, our local CBS is WBZ-4. SD is channel 4, and HD is 804.

I agree with you all though. HD is much nicer on satellite, and is one of several reasons why I refuse to switch to cable.

Reason for it is that satellite actually has their HD channels in the 1,000s range. They then map down the channel. That's why on Dish's Hopper, there are two channels at the 102 spot. Cable's equipment is set up to only show the physical channel. There isn't any mapping down on older equipment. Therefore, your local affiliates have their SD lineup at their time honored locations, where HD is place in higher locations.

In my area, Comcast will put as many channels at a number that is similar to their SD actual location. So, our local CBS is WBZ-4. SD is channel 4, and HD is 804.

I agree with you all though. HD is much nicer on satellite, and is one of several reasons why I refuse to switch to cable.

Thanks Fat Man for that information. I know myself and others really appreciate it. Do you think it's possible for cable company's to map it the same way as satellite does, so there is a standard national lineup?

Comcast here has the HD channels in different places in the guide, for example our HD ABC channel ( channel 7 OTA ) is at 231 and has been since I went to Comcast 5 years ago is also remapped to 1007 and has been for 2 years now, Fox is Channel 2 OTA-Comcast-234/1002, etc, etc.

My question then is, how long has your cable company been Comcast? Around my area, towns that became Comcast after the AT&T Broadband buyout has HD the way that I previously mentioned. Comcast was involved prior to launching HD channels. But, in the towns where Adelphia was bought, HD channels are more scrambled around. That's because Adelphia began to implement the HD chanel spacing before going bankrupt and Comcast buying out the systems.

At least since I bought my house in 2000, I had them for Broadband then while I had Dish Network for TV, then moved to DirecTV then to Comcast for everything.

I saw that you put down Comcast in your earlier post, while back in the 2000s, they did indeed suck at HD, both in how many channels and picture quality, but now they are a total different company and the picture looks just as good as DirecTV and better then Dish.

As far as the boxes go, the X1 works great ( it was rough the first 3 months) and I can't beat the bundle pricing, I see many posts in the Sat. Forums and amazed at what people pay for just TV service, it is usually more then what I pay for TV and Broadband together.

Okay, to add on to what Bruce said... I've had DIRECTV and currently Dish and Xfinity using the X1. Please try not to think I'm crazy but... I had them both plugged in... X1 HDMI 1 - Hopper HDMI 2. Same picture settings. I tested them both at 720p and then at 1080i for the hopper and 1080p for that X1.

No matter the resolution it's a hit and miss on quality. Some stations like our local NBC affiliate KUSA 9 looked decent on Dish but had pixelation on Xfinity with image transitions for fast moving scenes.

Discovery, ABC Family, Fox News, CNN, National Geo Wild, and CBS all faired better or equal to DISH. Dish was better on USA, NBC, NFL network and Fox.

Denver use to have TCI Cable until it was purchased by AT&T Broadband and then Comcast in 2000.

I also agree, as far as the X1 goes, it's been great. I think Comcast has done a great job with the platform, because for years satellite had always done such a good job with the receiver UI and features.

I think once they go to full IP streaming on the x1, the channel lineup will be much better.
Where did you get the idea that Comcast was moving away from QAM for their conventional TV channels?
I think the channels are all over the place because of each cable system in each area using QAM.
Channel mapping is most certainly possible with QAM. They can even fall back on PSIP for those that still offer clear QAM channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)