comcast sports net

Status
Please reply by conversation.
valleygreen22 said:
Will Directv ever be able to rebroadcast comcast sportsnet in the Philadelphia area?
Only if Comcast works out a deal to allow D* to broadcast it.
I would imagine that Comcast doesn't want it on D*, it's all contract issues and it probably has nothing to do with D*

Jimbo

Contract Issues???

I've lived with the Philly Comcrap BS since signing up with DirecTV in 1998.

The entire lineup of Comcrap SportsNet channels in the Philadelphia market were created to SPECIFICALLY target customers who were going to sat tv and prevent them from being able to get Philly team sports broadcasts.

COX cable has done exactly the same thing in San Diego with the Padres.

Maybe if DTV paid Comcrap some outrageous amount of money to be able to broadcast the Philly channels they could but I find it hard to believe that to be the case since the Comcrap channels from Baltimore are on DTV.

I believe that this case is one where, because of the federal regulations, Comcrap is not required to provide the Philly channels to any Sat broadcaster and therefore never will.

On a positive note, I don't know what DTV did this year but for the first year since I've had DTV they are broadcasting the Phillies games as part of the EI package. Obviously they aren't broadcasting Comcraps' channels but they are providing a non-blacked out feed of the other teams broadcast (except when they play the Padres :mad: ). I'm assuming that DTV worked out a deal with MLB to show these games because of the fact that they can't get the Phillies feed but I do not know that to be a fact. In any case it's been fantastic and I love the fact that they've stuck it to Comcrap.

Sportschannel Philly used to be on D*. But as indicated in the prior post, since they do not beam their signal on satellite, Comcast does not have to provide it to D*, as provided in federal regs. As far as I know all other sports channels are beamed on satellite and are required to make their signal available to D* and E*, once they reach an agreement with D* or E*. D* has indicated it wants the Comcast sports station in Philly, but Comcast won't do it. I guess D* got too many of Comcast customers to switch from cable to satellite TV and payback is a bitch.
For baseball D*'s EI package usually broadcast the home team's feed. In the case of Philly, AZ or SD, they broadcast the away team's feed. I follow the Marlins on the west coast and when they play Philly, AZ or SD away I still get the Marlins home feed. All other away games are the local team's home feed (unless it is on local TV in the home territory).

Yup. a couple of years ago we were lucky to see 25% of the Phils games on EI, this year has been great. Getting tired of hearing the other teams announcers all year though! Go Phils!!!!!

Maybe Hockey too?

I wonder if the Flyers away feeds will be available to those of in Philly too via the center ice package. If anyone knows, please let me know so I can dump comcast.

no

you cannot get any more games inside your local area. Since you are in the Philly market, all those games are blacked out.

Can someone explain that please; "do they play on OLN now" (now Versus) - they aren't an exclusive carrier of any one team, just a hefty dose of select NHL games. So I would think the correct answer to the original question should really be NO; right?

I only see 7 Flyer's games on OLN/Versus all season.

http://www.versus.tv/nw/article/view/1367/?tf=NHLArticleWrapper.tpl

I mean look at the Flyer's sched (since they were the example) they are Comcast

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/schedule/ScheduleResults.asp

Oh I got that part, but the user's question was "dont the flyers play on OLN now?" which should be NO. They have a few games being broadcast on OLN/Versus this season, but OLN/Versus has no exclusive carriage agreement with any one team; just select NHL games. Which is what it sounded like he/she was asking; if ALL the Flyer's games were on OLN/Versus..

correct vs. is non team exclusive, although i feel usa nhl hockey coverage is weak barring nhlci and hdnet imho
if baseball can come back from strikes, why not hockey?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR 20 Frozen

Question about my Sat...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts