Come On C-Band ... Got Myself A BUD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Somehow I can't find out how to get to the "downloads" area. Could someone tell me how to navigate there, or send me a link to the manual for the Winegard Pinnacle?
I posted the link to the Winegard in post #8.In any case downloads are in the "FTA Receiver Manuals" section which is listed just above the "C Band Discussion" on the FTA forums page.

Well ... here are the pictures. This thing is HUGE! After looking at it, in my opinion, there is no way that the reflector can be taken down the hill. It's just too steep! To take these pictures, I climbed up the other side of the hill. Much higher but the hill slowly tapers down to the street below. So, it's possible to walk along the ridge line to access the dish. I think the reflector will need to be removed and disassembled at the ridge line. Then, carried down the hill panel by panel to my truck below. Then the mount carried down. Also I'll need to buy some cleats. What would work even better would be some of those spikes that strap on the bottom of shoes for walking on ice. The hill is prime rattle snake territory. I'm gonna have to be very careful.

Have a look at the pictures. Any comments you might have would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1496.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1497.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    500.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1500.JPG
    IMG_1500.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1503.JPG
    IMG_1503.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 155
If the system is still hooked up try retracting the arm all the way,or if not use a 12v battery,jump box?,before removing the actuator.Before taking anything apart loosen the mount on the pole and see if you can spin the dish on the pole,should help in being able to reach things.Or as SatAV suggested find a friend with a crane !:D

If the system is still hooked up try retracting the arm all the way,or if not use a 12v battery,jump box?,before removing the actuator.Before taking anything apart loosen the mount on the pole and see if you can spin the dish on the pole,should help in being able to reach things.Or as SatAV suggested find a friend with a crane !:D

Here is a picture of the hill on the house side. Looking at the picture it doesn't look that steep, but it is. On the other side of the hill, it is three times as high and three times as steep. As you can see, there is no way a crane could reach the dish. Another problem on the house side of the hill is that there are guy lines from other poles and other poles in the way of getting the dish down. I'd have to ask the owner if I could cut those guy wires. I'm leaning to sliding the reflector down the other side of the hill now. It's about 200' to the street below and it's very steep. However being steep will work to my advantage, the dish won't stop or hang up on anything. I'm gonna go to Walmart today to find something to slide it on. One of those plastic snow dishes would be perfect. Also, I'm gonna get a can of WD-40 and spray the bolts that hold the reflector to the mount (4 I think). Once I get the reflector tied off on my truck, I'm gonna look like one of those Pansat trucks :D

Loosening the bolts on the pole is another great idea. If I'm gonna take the reflector off whole, then I'll loosen up the elevation screw, and remove the actuator while he holds the reflector. My initial idea of trying to take the reflector apart on the ridge line might end up being a big mistake:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_1501.JPG
    IMG_1501.JPG
    664.1 KB · Views: 156
WD40 is worthless for that use.
WD40 is worthless for that use.
PB Blaster :up
and Kroil is also many times recommended(although I have not used Kroil)
WD if you want to keep moisture off something that can tolerate a film of oil.
Just don't want ya wasting $ on something that's not going to work.(or work poorly)
Spray, let set a minute, shock 'em with a hammer, spray again seems to work good for me.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion:
Two pulleys & a long length of rope. One pulley tied to the dish pole & the other anchored to the ground below with a stake - bent piece of steel rod would do. Tie the ends of the rope to L brackets on opposite sides of the dish. One person steadying the dish on the way down & another working the slack of the rope between the pulleys to maintain control.
Like bringing a medical emergency litter down a hillside.

Just be safe. Break it down into as small of pieces that you can handle comfortably on the slope.

Take two steps, move the part, repeat as necessary.

The OP hasn't uploaded a pic of the steeper side of the hill yet, now has he?

I haven't seen one. Supposedly it's three times higher and three times steeper. Kinda makes the jestful helicopter lift suggestion more appealing :)

Well, it looks like good luck has smiled on me. I was up at the top of the hill applying some Blaster on the Dish last night and a guy called me from a neighboring house. I climbed down to talk to him. He said, "looks like you're gonna need some help getting that dish down". He went on to say, "I've got rigging gear and a tractor". There are a couple other poles up there that we can rig off of then tie off to the tractor at the bottom of the hill. Long story short, he's a rigger. He said that we can most likely have the dish down within a couple hours (including setting up the rigging). He's even got a trailer that I can use to get the dish up the street to my house. I said, "what do I owe you for all of your help"? He said, "just buy me some beers". I said, "you got a deal Mi Amigo" :D

I'll pull the buttonhook off and that'll provide a hole through which we can pass a rope. Once the reflector is supported and tied off, then we'll slide it down the rope to the bottom of the hill. I'll take some pictures to post after the job is done!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)