Comet TV

Looks like Nov 1

I know it will be on most SInclair stations at launch...the question is about the ones that are pretty full already. Some small markets have 2 HD and Grit on it. No room there. Some are also getting close to full with Get & Grit. So we will see in a month

I want this channel, and Sinclair controls our local NBC WEYI-25 and CW WBSF-46 (through a holding company), and they are "sister stations". Trouble is, they simulcast it like this:

WEYI-25.1 = NBC (720p)
WEYI-25.2 = CW (simulcast of 46.1) (720p)
WEYI-25.3 = Bounce (480i)
-------------------------------------
WBSF-46.1 = CW (720p)
WBSF-46.2 = NBC (simulcast of 25.1) (720p)
WBSF-46.3 = GRIT (480i)

WEYI- is licensed to Flint, but the tower is northeast of Clio (Clio is on the north-edge of Flint).
WBSF- is licensed to Bay City, and the tower is in Indiantown, south of Bay City, east of Saginaw and less than about 20 miles from WEYI's tower! WEYI is a UHF "flame-thrower" 193kw broadcast powerhouse, and can be received 60~ miles away with NO problems.
WBSF is a UHF piddly 30KW output, hard to receive on a windy day without pixelating from fluttering trees even 35 miles away.

I don't have my hopes up here, but it would be nice if they re-arranged it somehow. Personally, I'd just as soon they dumped BOUNCE, and put Comet there. But considering Flint's prevailing population, they probably would prefer "Bounce".

Oh boy! Another channel that I will never see. I wish all subnets had a national feed on satellite (like WeatherNation, SBN, couple other Christian/PI channels do) but I know that is unlikely.

Reactions: localclassictvfan
Reactions: andy_horton
I have a feeling that Sinclair will be dropping some of their existing offerings to make room for Comet. Not sure which ones exactly, but it doesn't seem unreasonable that, perhaps, ZUUS Country might be on its way out, for example.

- Trip

Luckily for me my Sinclair station has only one sub-channel.

Reactions: localclassictvfan
I have a feeling that Sinclair will be dropping some of their existing offerings to make room for Comet. Not sure which ones exactly, but it doesn't seem unreasonable that, perhaps, ZUUS Country might be on its way out, for example.

- Trip

Hey! That works for me. When you said ZUUS Country, I just realized that Sinclair also owns and runs WSMH-66 in my area. That has ZUUS' on 66.3, and Comet would be a lot better in that spot. That's also a station that comes in booming for me!

So, they own WEYI, WBSF, and WSMH in my local area. How is that legal? I know they run WBSF through a paper company, but not sure how that makes owning 3 of them legit...

Reactions: fred555
So, they own WEYI, WBSF, and WSMH in my local area. How is that legal? I know they run WBSF through a paper company, but not sure how that makes owning 3 of them legit...
They own WSHM
WBSF they run. Cunningham owns it (shell company)
WEYI they run too. Howard silk holdings owns it.

That's how they get around it. They legally only own one station.
don't worry by the end of next year that won't be possible due to FCC Rules