Coming back to DirecTV...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cobra611

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Beacon, NY
I signed up for DirecTV & USSB back in '95. And, in an effort to cut monthly expenses 3 years ago, I switched to FiOS when they came to my community. As much as I have enjoyed their service, I have always preferred having DirecTV. So, after contemplating for a few months, I finally made the decision and called Friday to reconnect...although, I'm still going to keep FiOS for my high speed internet. My install window is from 8am-12pm today. The dish is still in place, but may need to be realigned. I'm getting a 4 room setup with wireless Genies. Should I have asked for a certain receiver to have 4K access? I have just one 4K tv in the basement man-cave. I'm very excited to be coming back "home"!!!

Thanks!

Yep. You need to say. You need a c61 with a reserve band lnb.

Enjoy your 3 channels of 4k.

Chances are, you already have the correct dish .... a Slimline 3 works great in most applications, unless you need the 119 Sat in your area (in which it's just a different LNB).
Hopefully they change out the LNB for you to the b reverse band one (this way it won't need to be changed any time soon for addl. 4k)

A certain level of programming package is also required to receive 4K channels.
Lets make a list:
1. HD-54 Genie receiver
2. C-64 Genie Client
3. Slimline dish
4. Reverse Band LNB All though, this isn't needed yet. It will be needed in the near future.
5. Program Package Ultimate or Premier

A certain level of programming package is also required to receive 4K channels.
Lets make a list:
1. HD-54 Genie receiver
2. C-64 Genie Client
3. Slimline dish
4. Reverse Band LNB All though, this isn't needed yet. It will be needed in the near future.
5. Program Package Ultimate or Premier

Called DirecTV first thing this morning and found out the same information. Since I only signed up for the Choice package, there's no need for me to request all that equipment. It's not big issue anyway. Just happy to have DirecTV back. Thank you for all the comments.

Reactions: hank123
General question - for someone like Cobra611 is it worth it (and can it be done) to sign up for a qualifying package for 4K, get the HD-54 receiver and C-64 Client so you are ready for 4K, then at some point drop to a lower package like he wants?

General question - for someone like Cobra611 is it worth it (and can it be done) to sign up for a qualifying package for 4K, get the HD-54 receiver and C-64 Client so you are ready for 4K, then at some point drop to a lower package like he wants?
I'd say that the answer would be, "maybe," in that while DirecTV wouldn't require equipment return on downgrade, but you'd most certainly lose whatever 4K access you'd have at that time. You'd have to look carefully though the contractual agreement and also speak to someone at DirecTV about such a situation.

The whole point of agreeing to something like $40/month in additional costs is for DirecTV to begin recouping their sunk costs in bring first to market with some semblance of 4K.

Regardless, as long as you remain a paying subscriber, DirecTV will provide you with whatever service you're willing to pay for.

Reactions: Cobra611 and Tampa8
Well, install window was from 8am-12pm. Tech arrived at 1:50pm. He left 15 minutes later claiming he didn't have the 3 wireless clients (and bridge) I ordered and paid for. He's supposedly meeting up with tech in town to exchange equipment. That was 20 minutes ago. I hope he comes back. Just a question, but are the wireless clients THAT much better than the wired ones?

they're convenient. for both parties. easy to install, no holes. plus if you need to move em, you dont have to finagle around with cables yourself or have D* charge you to come back out to move the line.

they're convenient. for both parties. easy to install, no holes. plus if you need to move em, you dont have to finagle around with cables yourself or have D* charge you to come back out to move the line.

Good point, thank you! Well, he came back and is now about to replace my 7 year old dish. Hope I can report back good news soon!!

Well, install window was from 8am-12pm. Tech arrived at 1:50pm. He left 15 minutes later claiming he didn't have the 3 wireless clients (and bridge) I ordered and paid for. He's supposedly meeting up with tech in town to exchange equipment. That was 20 minutes ago. I hope he comes back. Just a question, but are the wireless clients THAT much better than the wired ones?

Wow dude. He sounds like a POS contractor. Im on the contract side and I would get my butt tore up for this.

You should be compensated.

Wow dude. He sounds like a POS contractor. Im on the contract side and I would get my butt tore up for this.

He came back within 30 minutes or so later, but didn't leave until 7pm...it was a LONG day!!!

Well, I had to relocate the main receiver and one wireless client the next day, due to issues with the wiring for my homes internet and wireless router. Once I reestablished connection with the clients and WVB, everything is working well. Picture quality looks better after I switched things around compared to right after the tech left...not sure why, but I don't care:) Now, I just have to get my wife to watch what's left of her recorded programs on the FiOS DVR so I can bring it back. Overall, I like FiOS but have always preferred DirecTV, so I'm glad I made the switch back. I just worry about this winter and having snow become an issue because the dish is on the roof on my townhouse, which is over 20 ft from the deck. I only had a few times during a snow storm, that enough snow built up on the dish to effect the reception. I just needed a few tosses in the bullpen to get the arm loose so I could throw snowballs at it.

Well, I had to relocate the main receiver and one wireless client the next day, due to issues with the wiring for my homes internet and wireless router. Once I reestablished connection with the clients and WVB, everything is working well. Picture quality looks better after I switched things around compared to right after the tech left...not sure why, but I don't care:) Now, I just have to get my wife to watch what's left of her recorded programs on the FiOS DVR so I can bring it back. Overall, I like FiOS but have always preferred DirecTV, so I'm glad I made the switch back. I just worry about this winter and having snow become an issue because the dish is on the roof on my townhouse, which is over 20 ft from the deck. I only had a few times during a snow storm, that enough snow built up on the dish to effect the reception. I just needed a few tosses in the bullpen to get the arm loose so I could throw snowballs at it.
Dish heater !

sounds to me more like bad routing if he got there at nearly 2pm, and simply not enough gear on the truck. which happens. unfortunatly, somebody has to be last every day and sometimes that just means you run out.

on the flip side, 5 hours for 3 wireless clients and a genie seems a bit excessive.

sounds to me more like bad routing if he got there at nearly 2pm, and simply not enough gear on the truck. which happens. unfortunatly, somebody has to be last every day and sometimes that just means you run out.

on the flip side, 5 hours for 3 wireless clients and a genie seems a bit excessive.

You know what you are installing. If I am running short I know in the morning. I find it before I show up to a customers house.
A 3 box wireless job with a dish even if I had to run a line in would take me 1 1/2- 2 hours.

Dude sounds like a new guy.

Showing up to a job late is a BIG no no. The tec should of called the customer to let him know the situation. 2 hours late is nuts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts