Coming Soon: The DISH Sling Adapter!

hey scott, isn't there supposed to be a usb plug in for dish that will allow you to what tv2 in hd on a another tv in your house?

Dewzan, thats the thing that I was saying that I don't think will be released.

Now wait a minute here. The USB plug-in that slings HD from TV2 is the subject of this thread. It is called a "Sling Adapter". The Sling Extender (a new SlingCatcher) is also on Dish's website as "coming soon". So what exactly are you saying won't be released? The wireless TV? I agree that was rather bizarre, but only because it was a dinky HDTV. I mean, why bother with HD on such a tiny screen?

I am talking about the Sling Receiver 300.

Sling Media - Sling Media Introduces Sling Receiver 300 for Television Service Providers

I have heard NOTHING about it since CES, and it has not been displayed or talked about at any DISH event's including Team Summit. (They did show the 400U which this thread is about)

I have asked many people about the Sling Receiver 300 and nobody knows anything about it. Yet I have been getting updates on the 400U all along.

Again it is my GUT FEELING that we will never see the Sling Receiver 300 released. Who knows maybe we will see a Sling Receiver 400 at CES in January. But we wont know until then.

Sling Media name < -- > Dish Network name
Slingbox 700U < - - - > Sling Adapter
Sling Receiver 300 < - > Sling Extender

is there any conflict between this usb sling adapter and a usb EHD?
Nope I have heard from a number of beta testers and they are all using hubs as they didn't want to lose their EHD and they also didnt want the EHD or Sling Adapter hanging out the front of their receiver.

That would be really unfortunate, but given then it wasn't at CEDIA and there's zero mention of it on the TV Everywhere page not surprising. This would be a horrible missetp for E* because there is a desire for their customers to have multi-output in HD. An extender would be a benefit to not only the 922 early adopters but the 722 and 722k customers that buy one of these SlingAdapters and they would probably end up selling more of them. If they want us to buy multiple receivers then fine, but at least give us the ability to stream shows between receivers. D*, FIOS, and uVerse can all do it. Why can't E* make it work?

Because they want to go the Sling route? They seemed to have abandoned every other method of such MRV streaming. The cruel irony is that Dish is a member of the MOCA group along with DirecTV and others and has access to the same technology that D* is using for its MRV solution. For what it is worth, the Moxi 3 tuner box also has streaming MRV in HD, I believe. You lose one of the 3 tuners to the second room during MRV operation and the menu lags a bit in the 2nd room, but it is a very good compromise for trouble-free HD streaming. Dish has got to get going on a good HD streaming MRV.

I really want one of these to sling content to my iPad (in the house over wifi), but looking at the Dish Remote Access page it only lists Watch TV as an option for browsers and iPod/iPhone app, iPad doesn't even say "coming soon" like Android support does. If Dish exclude the iPad from this I'll be pissed, since they already have the Sling Player app for iPad....

I am so happy I backed off on ordering one. As soon as I heard that TV2 was not an option, I said I am not going to pay for another reciever just for my bedroom tv, which I hardly ever watch anyways.

I really want one of these to sling content to my iPad (in the house over wifi), but looking at the Dish Remote Access page it only lists Watch TV as an option for browsers and iPod/iPhone app, iPad doesn't even say "coming soon" like Android support does. If Dish exclude the iPad from this I'll be pissed, since they already have the Sling Player app for iPad....

The press release above does mention the iPad. It will probably come after the Android/Blackberry apps.

Stay tuned for information about compatibility with other mobile devices, such as the iPad™, in the future.

Last edited:
The cruel irony is that Dish is a member of the MOCA group along with DirecTV and others and has access to the same technology that D* is using for its MRV solution.
DISH doesn't have access to MoCA without a significant change in switching technology similar to what DIRECTV introduced a while back. MoCA is hugely dependent on all receivers bi-directionally sharing a small frequency band.

Here is some update information...

It will be released on the 11th. The price will be $99 including shipping.

You will only be able to watch it via your account at DISH.COM and will not work at DISHonline.com (WHY!? Dosent these folks from Sling and DISH understand that I do NOT want to give my password to my kids of friends so they have complete control of my DISH Network account?) GRRRRRR!

Let us use the stand alone Slingplayer Application PLEASE!

Anyways here are the new details.

attachment.php

Attachments

• slingadapter.png
    slingadapter.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 713
It seems like a standalone Slingbox is a better option except for the IR blasters and the fact that the Sling Player app is $30 each for both the iPhone and the iPad...that's just a ripoff. If Dish's own app can play Sling content for free how do they get off charging $30 per app for the same privilege? I'll probably end up getting a Slingbox Solo since I really want to use this with my 222 - tuner 1 on my 222 is/was dedicated to HTPC duties anyway, so it makes sense to use that tuner for the Slingbox. All I want is live tv on my iPad...is that so much to ask? :)

WHY!? Dosent these folks from Sling and DISH understand that I do NOT want to give my password to my kids of friends so they have complete control of my DISH Network account? GRRRRRR! Let us use the stand alone Slingplayer Application PLEASE!

Why does Dish do a lot that they do? They have products that seem to have so much potential, but for some reason they hold back. Except when it comes to charging fees, they make the phone company look good with fees. They also make dealing with the government look good, I work for the government and did not think that there was a more screwed up place, but I belive that Dish Network takes that prize.

It seems like a standalone Slingbox is a better option except for the IR blasters and the fact that the Sling Player app is $30 each for both the iPhone and the iPad...that's just a ripoff. If Dish's own app can play Sling content for free how do they get off charging $30 per app for the same privilege? I'll probably end up getting a Slingbox Solo since I really want to use this with my 222 - tuner 1 on my 222 is/was dedicated to HTPC duties anyway, so it makes sense to use that tuner for the Slingbox. All I want is live tv on my iPad...is that so much to ask? :)

1. The iPhone app is free. They made it part of the Dish Remote Access app.
2. When you purchase an app you can use it on all your iOS devices. I have the SlingPlayer I bought when I got the 922 (which DISH refunded the cost of to my account) on both my iPad and iPhone and I paid only once. But also notice that they don't even mention the SlingPlayer app so the for-pay-mobile app isn't technically an option.
3. The native iPad DISH Remote Access app is also free and will probably get updated include streaming.

Yeah I thought E* was to have a MRV option where two DVR's could share shows? I too have dual HD TV's and actually need 3 or 4 tuners. GRRRrrrrr

I want to come back to E* so bad but my wife and I love MRV viewing we have now on our TiVo S4 units.

There is no effective difference internally between the VIP622 and VIP722 receiver. Certainly not enough to say: "Oh yeah, our new Slingbox will work with the VIP722, but NOT with the VIP622"!

The only difference, is the size of the hard-drive, and the firmware they choose to load to it. They probably are running out of VIP622's that can be repaired, and just don't want to support it much longer.

Perhaps it's something silly like a current limit on the Power Supply pushing the 5v USB power. No matter, seems like we're all better off with the external sling-box anyway. The HD Sling also get you a built-in remote viewable ATSC tuner (COOL.....).

New Customer

Rented movies in canada

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts