Coming Soon: The DISH Sling Adapter!

I do remember there being another DVR maybe it was the 942 where transfers to the Pocketdish were slower then the other receivers...
Ah, that brings back some memories. Would you all believe that Welcome to PocketDISH by DISH Network is still alive? Go here: PocketDISH::DVR Compatibilty which is the DVR compatibility chart. It shows the 622 and 942 as transferring a 1hr programs in 5 minutes via "USB", while the 522 and 625 do so barely faster than real time due to "USB 1.1" ports.

The 622 has to be USB 2.0 or they could not stream MPEG2 19.2 mbit (from OTA recordings) from the USB drive in real time.

I would suspect something more like RAM differences between the two boxes.

talkstr8t said:
The writeup says the Sling Adapter supports HD - why do you recommend the standalone?

- Talk

Because the 922 is suppose to be hd and it is not. I expect the same for the sling adapter. I do not know if or when dish will turn on the hd ability for these boxes.

So with this adapter I can record to my 722 DVR then transfer the program to my computer and take it anywhere and view it at a later time? This would be great to take movies to work with me for later viewing and basically eliminate the DVD recorder I now use. Is this right or am I missing something? Thanks

No, that's not what it's for. It lets you stream video over the internet (or on your local lan) to another computer or mobile device. There is no transfer involved...

No, that's not what it's for. It lets you stream video over the internet (or on your local lan) to another computer or mobile device. There is no transfer involved...

Has anyone confirmed that if you are on your local network that the streaming is across your network and not up to dish via the internet, then back to you via the internet. I was wondering since you have to go to the internet to even get the stream started.

But if your streaming thru your local lan couldn't you record what is being streamed? Seems to me if you are sending a signal to your laptop then it is recordable.

But it's in whatever format Sling puts it in, not in some open standard.

But it's in whatever format Sling puts it in, not in some open standard.

So, is the adapter on your reciever or the laptop? Still confused on why it would make a difference in what format the Sling is sending to the laptop. It still has to reformatted so you can watch it, then you should be able to record to the hard drive on the computer. Is it sent in some mystery format or what? Still don't get it.

This is just a guess...but the format is probley flash for the streaming...and as far as the adaptor it is on your reciever. Then you have to have the reciever on a network (and internet) which will stream the video through dish's website. Then you log into Dishnetwork.com and access it via your account.

Seriously when it comes to my television viewing I only need my local Channels, TCM, Nick Jr (for my little nieces) and KBS world so why in the world am I paying $80.00 (doesnt include any premimum channels) to Dish Network for channels I dont even watch just to be able to get KBS World? Does someone have an answer for this

Seriously when it comes to my television viewing I only need my local Channels, TCM, Nick Jr (for my little nieces) and KBS world so why in the world am I paying $80.00 (doesnt include any premimum channels) to Dish Network for channels I dont even watch just to be able to get KBS World? Does someone have an answer for this
Wow, pretty random first post...

This is just a guess...but the format is probley flash for the streaming...and as far as the adaptor it is on your reciever. Then you have to have the reciever on a network (and internet) which will stream the video through dish's website. Then you log into Dishnetwork.com and access it via your account.

So, you have to go thru Dish to get at what you want to watch? Too many steps not worth it then.

So, you have to go thru Dish to get at what you want to watch? Too many steps not worth it then.

You're over thinking it. Just because it's streamed over your local LAN doesn't mean that you can record it. Sure if you really wanted to, you could use a frame capture program to record what's displayed on screen, but why would anyone want to go to the trouble? And you could really do that to anything. THAT is too many steps.

To simplify:
Plug the Sling Adapter and network connection into your receiver.
Log into the DISH Network site, select Remote Access - Click Live TV. OR Use one of the apps on your supported mobile device of choice.
Enjoy.

I think having the ability to watch live tv from the internet is a great idea...especially since you already pay for the content once...why should you have to pay another person...example being mlb for tv you are already paying for. Or even NFL for just audio. To me, this is the way TV should be. Pay once, have rights everywhere.

Since I am on DSL and HD streaming would not be an option for me (upstream speed too slow), for remote viewing I am going to go with the Hauppauge PVR1600 tuner card and the WinTV7.2 app on my PC. I already had the tuner card installed in my computer for another purpose, and the WinTV app ($9.95 from Hauppauge) allows me to watch either TV1 or TV2 on my 622. Combined with the interface from the dish.sling.com website, I can watch anything on either tuner, including stuff from my DVR. And I don't have to buy a Slingbox - although if I can ever get a faster ISP it would be tempting to have remote HD. I am not expecting spectacular PQ. At this point, for $10, I will be happy to get a watchable picture on the go.

Since I am on DSL and HD streaming would not be an option for me (upstream speed too slow), for remote viewing I am going to go with the Hauppauge PVR1600 tuner card and the WinTV7.2 app on my PC. I already had the tuner card installed in my computer for another purpose, and the WinTV app ($9.95 from Hauppauge) allows me to watch either TV1 or TV2 on my 622. Combined with the interface from the dish.sling.com website, I can watch anything on either tuner, including stuff from my DVR. And I don't have to buy a Slingbox - although if I can ever get a faster ISP it would be tempting to have remote HD. I am not expecting spectacular PQ. At this point, for $10, I will be happy to get a watchable picture on the go.

Having done that for a few years (HTPC, hauppauge card, Snapstream BeyondTV app, IR blaster etc) I can say that's definitely a lot harder to get working right than a cheap/older slingbox (like the pro non-HD version). When I had the time to mess with things daily, the HTPC was fun but now I have better things to do and the Slingbox is just a simpler solution all round.

Having done that for a few years (HTPC, hauppauge card, Snapstream BeyondTV app, IR blaster etc) I can say that's definitely a lot harder to get working right than a cheap/older slingbox (like the pro non-HD version). When I had the time to mess with things daily, the HTPC was fun but now I have better things to do and the Slingbox is just a simpler solution all round.

I concur. I have a receiver plugged into a Media Center PC and I just got tired of messing with the stupid thing. The most glaring issue I have is that it's not in HD, but beyond that you have to make sure the receiver stays active and doesn't go to the screen saver when isn't being used or else your timers record nothing. And the old trick of disabling it in the menus and then setting an auto-tune timer to wake it up once the software updates are done in the early morning doesn't work on my 222 anymore. I want something that just works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)