Coming Soon: The DISH Sling Adapter!

Well, I fully intend to buy it when it's released. This will give my 722k the one feature it was missing as far as I'm concerned. The sad thing is, it's going to be released in a matter of days, and us techs still haven't received any training on it.

Its in this thread, only think missing is dealer costs and profits.

I hear that it has been delayed being released until November 18th.

Has anyone tried the Monsoon Vulkano? I've been using the Monsoon Hava (similar to the Sling line of place-shifters) for a couple of years and it steams video from my Vip722 across my LAN pretty well and also remotely to my Windows mobile 6 phone. Remote viewing on the phone was not too bad and the quality on a PC was depended on the Internet connection at the hotel. At some hotels I’ve stayed at I had good connection speeds so the quality was almost as good as my local LAN but at others, I was better off using my phone.

I was thinking of moving up to one of the Vulkano series of place-shifting devices because it has some better options then the Hava including HDMI pass-through, although they do say picture quality is ‘near-HD quality’. Compression is supposed to be better so remote viewing is supposed to be better. The tech specs are similar to the new Sling except it isn't tied to one receiver, but it also doesn’t have the USB interface to the receiver (Vip 722) that allows you to control the receiver or get HD out of TV2. It uses an IR blaster to control the receiver but can be hooked up to any HD receiver. A couple of nice things are mobile and PC/Mac apps are free and there are a couple of different versions of the unit that also allow for recording to external storage. It has a couple of other features that I don’t care too much about but some people might.

Has anyone here used any of the Vulkano’s? I’d be interested in knowing of their experiences if someone has. I think the base model, the Platinum’ would be similar in comparison to the new Sling.

Thanks Scott. What were some of the concerns? I'd be interested in knowing because the reviews I've read they reported a few problems with the initial firmware but I would think they would have fixed those problems by now if they wanted to stay in business. Being a long time Dish customer, I guess I'm used to firmware problems of buggy software. At lease when Dish does getting their software working right, you can't beat it. The rest of the reviews were similar to past Sling reviews.

I did read that and a few other reviews which is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Monsoon just released the Platinum version which, as I read it, is more for those who don't need the recording capability. The way I read it, it is more like their original Hava unit but with much better video quality for both internal (LAN) and remote viewing.

If I hook this up to my spare 211 that has an EHD connected to it, I wouldn't need the functions of the other higher priced Vulkano's. Being a new model, I was hoping someone here had already tried it and could report on it, but that doesn't look like the case.

I have always wanted to try Sling and now that I Switched to a 722k earlier this year, I will be very interested to read the revies of this device.

I see the Vulkano does several things. Too bad most of them do not seem to be what I use or what Slingbox Pro HD does.

No Tuner. Only one set of non-HD inputs. I have an antenna for digital OTA in my vacation home, through the Sling, that allows me to get the locals from there at home or on my phone. I also have my Dish receiver on it, and my security cameras, and in addition, a VHS recorder if I want to record the security channels, or the OTA locals. Since I already have a DVR I don't need the device to record. The Vulkano doesn't seem to have enough inputs/outputs.

My slingboxes have become an integral part of my viewing.

btyko said:
The Dish Sling Adapter is now being shown on the Dish Network website. However, it is listed as out of stock.

Where? I see it listed on the TV Everywhere page but it says coming soon (as it has for months).

Where? I see it listed on the TV Everywhere page but it says coming soon (as it has for months).

After you log into your account, there is a section called "order from store." The Sling Adapter is listed there. I believe it was only added in the last day or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts