Comments Needed: DishONLINE Reviews

Beverly Hills Cop 2 was on HDNet Movies last night in glorious HD.... for FREE. Another example of how rubbish DISHONLINE is.. give us free content.

here's my review/comment:

i'd like dish to add a menu option to HIDE this clunker until it at least can compare to what directv and cable are offering. bonus points if they could actually exceed somehow, but this is looking pretty lame right now. hardly worth the time and effort to push out that video describing it, never mind taking the time to watch it.

You can wait and HOPE they improve their offerings/prices or do what I did: I got a Tivo Series 3 HD to supplement my Vip622. I use it for OTA HD and a TON of free online content through my 10 Mbps broadband connection. Also I can download recent releases from Amazon's 'Unbox', which frequently has $0.99 specials.

Plus with the Tivo I don't need to spend a few hundred on a PocketDish - the Tivo lets me download shows to my laptop, PSP, or IPod!

Anyway, I'm glad I'm in a position now to just laugh about Dish's lame effort that they call DishOnline.

But I hope they do wake up and take a look at the competition. Having many competitive choices is great. Eventually this might be one.

OK I'm going to look at a possible good side to this feature, not that it will happen but...What if Dish decided to use this for the PPV and then in turn removed the PPV channels from the sats and re-used the bandwidth?

Ah hell who am I kidding? It will never happen that way, I'll go back in the corner now and bang my head against the wall some more.!sadroll

My Negative Experience with Dish On Line

:(On Tuesday, November 6, I decided to try out Dish On Line by downloading the movie Andre. I have an Earthlink cable modem tied to a netgear router. I have a netgear home plug adapter tied to 1 port of the router. My 622 was able to get an IP address of 192.168.0.7 by using the built in home plug hardware.

After 4 hours, the movie was still 0% done with no time estimate. I deleted the download and restarted the download again. 12 Hours later the movie download was 4% finished. 24 hours later the movie was 35% finished. 48 hours later, the Dish On Line My Rentals list indicated that the movie was ready for viewing.

I started watching the move and everything was fine for about 35 minutes. Then I got an error message "Buffering Video" and the movie stopped. After acknowledging the error message and starting Dish On Line again, the Download List now stated that the movie was only 35% done downloading. Fot the last 4 days, this has not changed. However, my 2 days to view the movie started on Wednesday and the movie finally expired on Friday.

My interaction with DISH technical support has been fruitless. The one CSR insisted that my phone line must be the problem. I patiently explained that the download was through the internet (not the phone line). She was completely confused. Another CSR insisted that 622's were not able to use DISH On Line. I finally got a CSR to make an engineering report regarding my problem. She said that they would credit my account for the movie but I should not try to download any more movies until engineering could find the problem. She said this could take 1-2 weeks.

I was curious if the download problem was due to my home plug connection. My other 622 is directly plugged into the router using an RJ45 internet cable. I called Technical Support and asked if I could try this out to see if the download problem was due to the home plug configuration. The technical support person insisted that my problem was due to the fact that I use a router. He insisted that DISH equipment will not work with a router. I patiently explained that a router is necessary to assign local IP addresses to my computers, REPLAY TV, and my two 622 receivers. He insisted that my 622 should be plugged in directly to the cable modem and nothing else should be connected. Needless to say, he was incorrect but I was unable to convince him otherwise.

I have looked at the LAN configuration and all of my equipment have unique IP addresses. I have dedicated IP addresses for most of my equipment using the MAC address in the netgear router. I have not assigned a dedicated IP address for the 622 receivers.

I have tested my internet connection speed and my download speed is 230 - 310 kbps and my upload speed is 490 kbps. My Earthlink service is supposed to be 5 Mbps and Roadrunner is supposed to be 7 Mbps. I suspect that Warner Cable is throttling back my Earthlink connection since they want me to switch to Roadrunner service which is $20 more expensive.

Anyway, that is my story regarding Dish On Line. DISH needs to train their technical support regarding DISH On Line. I will wait to hear back from the engineering group. I have submoitted this thread to the DISH Technical support e-mail.

First of all, if for your upload speed to be faster than your download would be quite unusual. If you supposed to be getting 5Mbps you should at be clocking in at 3Mbps or better. If you are only getting 300kbps you have a problem somewhere which might be causing problems with downloading from Dish online!

Also, Dish CSRs, what a bunch of freakin idiots!!!!

If you are only getting 300kbps you have a problem somewhere which might be causing problems with downloading from Dish online!

What kind of download speeds are others getting from DishOnline? That slow download speed could be on Dish's end. I can't see myself buying anything based on what I've seen available so far, but maybe I'll try it if they add free or even .99 content (I'm cheap but that's a price point where lazy takes over).

So ARE there HD movies available through this service?

On a cursory search on my newly upgraded receiver (722)...I can't see any listed as such.

OK I have been a customer of D for a long long time and this is getting nutz.. 1st they wanted me to pay to connect an external drive (a drive I payed for (I refused)) NOW they want to sell me movies (silly old movies for the most part) and have me use my own internet connection and hardware. Give us some free movies like Comcast does!

How much more do they expect me to pay them. My bill now is already well over $100. I'm getting tired of it this nickel and dime the customer garbage... Just my $.02

:(On Tuesday, November 6, I decided to try out Dish On Line by downloading the movie Andre. I have an Earthlink cable modem tied to a netgear router. I have a netgear home plug adapter tied to 1 port of the router. My 622 was able to get an IP address of 192.168.0.7 by using the built in home plug hardware.

After 4 hours, the movie was still 0% done with no time estimate. I deleted the download and restarted the download again. 12 Hours later the movie download was 4% finished. 24 hours later the movie was 35% finished. 48 hours later, the Dish On Line My Rentals list indicated that the movie was ready for viewing.

I started watching the move and everything was fine for about 35 minutes. Then I got an error message "Buffering Video" and the movie stopped. After acknowledging the error message and starting Dish On Line again, the Download List now stated that the movie was only 35% done downloading. Fot the last 4 days, this has not changed. However, my 2 days to view the movie started on Wednesday and the movie finally expired on Friday.

My interaction with DISH technical support has been fruitless. The one CSR insisted that my phone line must be the problem. I patiently explained that the download was through the internet (not the phone line). She was completely confused. Another CSR insisted that 622's were not able to use DISH On Line. I finally got a CSR to make an engineering report regarding my problem. She said that they would credit my account for the movie but I should not try to download any more movies until engineering could find the problem. She said this could take 1-2 weeks.

I was curious if the download problem was due to my home plug connection. My other 622 is directly plugged into the router using an RJ45 internet cable. I called Technical Support and asked if I could try this out to see if the download problem was due to the home plug configuration. The technical support person insisted that my problem was due to the fact that I use a router. He insisted that DISH equipment will not work with a router. I patiently explained that a router is necessary to assign local IP addresses to my computers, REPLAY TV, and my two 622 receivers. He insisted that my 622 should be plugged in directly to the cable modem and nothing else should be connected. Needless to say, he was incorrect but I was unable to convince him otherwise.

I have looked at the LAN configuration and all of my equipment have unique IP addresses. I have dedicated IP addresses for most of my equipment using the MAC address in the netgear router. I have not assigned a dedicated IP address for the 622 receivers.

I have tested my internet connection speed and my download speed is 230 - 310 kbps and my upload speed is 490 kbps. My Earthlink service is supposed to be 5 Mbps and Roadrunner is supposed to be 7 Mbps. I suspect that Warner Cable is throttling back my Earthlink connection since they want me to switch to Roadrunner service which is $20 more expensive.

Anyway, that is my story regarding Dish On Line. DISH needs to train their technical support regarding DISH On Line. I will wait to hear back from the engineering group. I have submoitted this thread to the DISH Technical support e-mail.

Did you try TV Entertaiment? It should be the same way like Dish Online. Rigth now Paula Thanksgiving is on.

My suggestion would be that they partner up with someone like NetFlix and then offer a monthly fee option where the user can pay a set monthly price to be able to download x amount of movies per month.

Example Plans:

Plan A: $19.95. User gets to download 1 movie and must wait for it to expire before they can get another movie. They can delete the movie sooner but no more than 1 movie every 24 hours.

Plan B: $29.95. User gets to have 3 movies on their receiver simultaneously. Each movie must expire before they can get another movie. No more than 3 movies per 24 hour period.

Plan C. $49.95. User can abuse the sh*t out of the service. :D

My suggestion would be that they partner up with someone like NetFlix and then offer a monthly fee option where the user can pay a set monthly price to be able to download x amount of movies per month.

Example Plans:

Plan A: $19.95. User gets to download 1 movie and must wait for it to expire before they can get another movie. They can delete the movie sooner but no more than 1 movie every 24 hours.

Plan B: $29.95. User gets to have 3 movies on their receiver simultaneously. Each movie must expire before they can get another movie. No more than 3 movies per 24 hour period.

Why not make it like a regular DVD rental, and partner up with netflix, blockbuster etc.
Just without getting the actual discs? It would be the same, as if I go to my local Blockbuster ( Not a Member) and rent a new show. This way they could make even more money off of me, because how many times I had to leave without a new show, just because I was unfortunate enough to have to go to work all day, and by the time I got off, others already grabbed all the copies.

Why not make it like a regular DVD rental, and partner up with netflix, blockbuster etc.
Just without getting the actual discs? It would be the same, as if I go to my local Blockbuster ( Not a Member) and rent a new show. This way they could make even more money off of me, because how many times I had to leave without a new show, just because I was unfortunate enough to have to go to work all day, and by the time I got off, others already grabbed all the copies.
It's painfully apparent that the designers who created DishOnline and the pricing scheme have never had the benefit of feedback from insightful, advanced users like ralfyguy and the other people here on SatGuys. Instead, they turned it into a greedy, overpriced waste of time.

If you are tired of this nonsense from E*, do what I did -- get an HD Tivo. They already have online scheduling. And the rentals are more abundant and reasonably priced.

Example Plans:

Or just offer Netflix through Dish and charge a monthly access fee?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)