Commercial installation ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hillsmi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Michigan
Has anyone here ever been involved in installing a dish and connecting into a hotel / motel distribution system?

If yes, what is typically involved after the install of the dish and running of the cable to the main distribution point for the signal to be spread to the individual rooms?

I've only done residential FTA, and wondering what more is involved in this commercial-type environment, once the coax reaches some sort of distribution control box, or whatever.

Any pictures or diagrams, or links to URLs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
What channels are you going to be working with and what type of equipment?

I know SatelliteAv (sponsor) works with commercial installs for the Glorystar installs but they also have the equipment needed if you need receivers etc

What channels are you going to be working with and what type of equipment?

I know SatelliteAv (sponsor) works with commercial installs for the Glorystar installs but they also have the equipment needed if you need receivers etc

I was told that it is G19, and I would be provided with the equipment, which I am assuming reflector, mount, LNB, and receiver. Past that, I have not received any other details, or know anything of the site equipment.

This is something rather new, that fell into my lap, that I am looking at taking on. The mounting, aiming, and cabling isn't the issue, it's what is after that where I am clueless, as have only done residential in the past.

Do setups like this need a separate tuner for each channel? It would get expensive real quick for a motel if they had to install a few racks of equipment.

Each channel requires a receiver and modulator. Cost can add up fast. If you purchase all components at once, discounts apply. We assist commercial facilities on a daily basis to provide multi channel systems for their facilities. A typical multi channel system costs approximately $300 per additional channel. The initial channel cost will vary depending on sources of programming and type of existing distribution wiring.

SO, Brian, if I read that right, then if I want 15 channels in 10 locations then separate receivers in each location is the cheaper way to got, but when I cross, say about 20 locations, the balance will swing the other way. Of course, control over the channels watched would be more secure with a "cable" system. Right or wrong?

SO, Brian, if I read that right, then if I want 15 channels in 10 locations then separate receivers in each location is the cheaper way to got, but when I cross, say about 20 locations, the balance will swing the other way. Of course, control over the channels watched would be more secure with a "cable" system. Right or wrong?

More to consider...

1. Distance.
If distributing satellite signals within a 400 foot radius (200' each direction) a central hub with an over-sized dish, quality distribution and quality switches it might make sense to have a receiver in each viewing location. You may of course experience switch control issues over these longer distances. It might be less expensive to maintain less expensive cabling with reduced signal integrity requirements and allowing splitters with lower broadcast band frequencies rather than support the higher frequencies and quality distribution requirements to support two way communication (channels down and switch control up).

2. Equipment upkeep or theft/loss
Do you wish the end user to have possession of a satellite receiver? Is is better to allow them to connect their cable ready TV to your distribution without providing them with equipment.... :cool:

You are correct with the economics receiver vs distribution options and security of offering controlled viewing.

Myself I'm using Channel Plus modulators which have worked well for my installation, may not be rated as commercial grade but no issues with them.

Myself I'm using Channel Plus modulators which have worked well for my installation, may not be rated as commercial grade but no issues with them.

Agreed. If not charging for the service, limited run distance and limited channels, the consumer modulators should work fine.

Sometimes the consumer units lack filtering and the harmonics can start interfering when combining many channels. If using consumer modulators, try to keep the channels separated by a few channel positions and be prepared to adjust the frequencies if they start interferring with each other..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts