Complete Review- Fortec Star Mercury II

A couple more quick questions about the receiver...

I noticed that the language selection comes up each time I turn on the receiver. Is there a way to disable this, or will it go away automatically after a certain number of on/off cycles?

Also, I noticed that by factory default, all Ku satellite entries are listed as Universal LNB as opposed to LNB-10750. Is there a way to change all listings from Universal to 10750 all at once, or does this need to be done one listing at a time?

I haven't had a chance to hook up the receiver to my dish yet, but I'll probably have time for that tomorrow. However, so far I'm liking the menu layouts.

Once you actually set up an antenna and scan in some channels the language selection will go away.

I also noticed that all KU satellite entries are listed as universal by default, I think the only way to change them is one at a time as you mentioned.

Hope you enjoy your new reciever as much as I am enjoying mine :-D

Last edited:
All Fortec receivers default to UNIVERSAL lnbf by design since Fortec sells UNIVERSAL LNBFs only. By having the receiver default to UNIVERSAL, our regular customer who usually buys a complete system (receiver,dish,LNBF) will not get confused.

Hello

Thanks for a great review. I'm looking for a receiver right now, my question is : does it handle 4:2:2 ?

Best regards

Labgate

Labgate said:
Hello

Thanks for a great review. I'm looking for a receiver right now, my question is : does it handle 4:2:2 ?

Best regards

Labgate
Hi Labgate,
Sorry to say, but no the Mercury II does not support 4:2:2.
Have a happy 4th,
Doc

Hi Doc,

Nice thorough reveiw. I have a couple of questions since I am in the market for another receiver.

1. Have they ever gotten the blind scan glitch straightened out?
2. Is it compatible with Channel Master either directly, or indirectly?

Fred

channel master does not currently support fortec mercury at all :( I have no way of getting my fortec scan from the ird to channel master, fortec does have a channel editor app, but it doesnt have an export function.

I like my Mercury II, You also have a multi satellite scan that will move your dish to all the programmed satellites and blind scan them. Very slick.

Been using my Merc.II for about 2 weeks now on C-Band fta...Just wondering if any other users are experiencing epg problems..can't seem to get a dam thing with mine..very disappointing..any comments on this issue..

Very few channels show EPG on this side of globe. Remember, most of the channels beamed up we are not their intended audience :)

I just noticed something kinda cool on my merc II. The signal strength meter actually seems to mean something :-D I had about 1' of snow on my 6' c band dish, when i checked signal quality it was zero. The neat thing was, signal strength was also zero. As soon as I cleared off the snow signal strength jumped to 70% and signal quality to 67% (normal).

Doc I misread the post. I thought you said one inch of snow and I was like "damn...I had 6 inches of snow on mine and the signal worked"

Then I saw one foot :D

Doc I misread the post. I thought you said one inch of snow and I was like "damn...I had 6 inches of snow on mine and the signal worked"

Then I saw one foot :D
Tony,
I might have had more than that, the bottom 50% of the dish was completely level with snow, ie: it was no longer parabolic lol. I have some pics i took today of my snowbound dishs, will post them in the fta shack. Last storm we had dumped 32-36" of snow on us.

I was really suprised to see 0-3% signal strength on my merc II this morning, the only time i have seen that on any of my recievers is when there is no LNB hooked up.

Been using my Merc.II for about 2 weeks now on C-Band fta...Just wondering if any other users are experiencing epg problems..can't seem to get a dam thing with mine..very disappointing..any comments on this issue..
If you tune to the 4 Bob Jones Home Schooling Educational Channels on 97degreesWest (G25/IA5), those show an EPG in the Mercury II - the only ones I have seen with an EPG that are FTA.
The Channels are called Channel 1 (2,3,4) on transponder 11749/v/7232, should come up in any scan of the satellite or transponder.
The transponder should come up on just about any FTA dish, the strength is pretty good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)